GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,854 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of Precedence for Victory Conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
Great game! We played a four-player game for the first time tonight and had a lot of fun. We had what I am sure is a very unusual final turn which raises an interesting rules question:
On the same turn one of the Mutation Markers reached space #15, two players had kept their territories "zombie-free" for the entire turn. Is the victor determined by whichever player has the most population, per the "Airborne Mutation" end-game scenario? Or would the two players who kept their territory ZT-free need to determine a tie-breaker?
I'd love it if one of the designers was able to answer this question, because my brother and I were the "ZT-free" players, and I can't stand losing to my brother!
I had the most population, but he qualified to win the "ZT-free" tie-breaker. (We both had the same popularity, but he had more Tier 3 technologies. Talk about a close game!)
The rules could be revised to present a clear order of precedence for victory conditions. It seems to me that if the virus becomes airborne, it wouldn't matter if you were able to keep your territory clear for a turn...the end is inevitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, the game will end immediately when the mutation reaches space 15. You don't finish the turn. Since you aren't finishing the turn, then it is not possible for any player to have kept his territory free of zombies for an entire turn, because the entire turn was not over yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally play it that the zombie free takes presendence. I personally feel the win conditions are listed in order of importants. Zombie free, track 15 and no pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind, I see that all end-game conditions involve playing the game out to its conclusion. With this in mind, I think that checking them in order is the fairest way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark,

Sounds like a great game! First and foremost congratulations on the eradication victories as well as surviving to round 15. Now, the bad news. I believe your brother is the victor. Once a mutation marker hits space 15 on the mutation track the current turn is completed and the end of the game is triggered. However, if the first and more difficult victory condition is met (an eradication victory) then this would determine the winner prior to the airborne viral victory condition. Great interpretation of the rules Justin and Cameron.

Your zombified team at Zombie State Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gelston
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks John! You've designed a great game, and we thoroughly enjoyed our session last night.
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timberwolf wrote:
Hello Mark,

Sounds like a great game! First and foremost congratulations on the eradication victories as well as surviving to round 15. Now, the bad news. I believe your brother is the victor. Once a mutation marker hits space 15 on the mutation track the current turn is completed and the end of the game is triggered. However, if the first and more difficult victory condition is met (an eradication victory) then this would determine the winner prior to the airborne viral victory condition. Great interpretation of the rules Justin and Cameron.

Your zombified team at Zombie State Games

We played our first game tonight (Love it BTW) too and ran into a similar situation. Two of us had eradicated all zombies in the same turn. The next turn (the turn we needed to win an eradication victory), another player lost his last population marker. We decided to score the remaining population scores and determined the victor that way.

Based on your above comment, sounds like we were wrong. We should have done a tie breaker for the two eradication victories right?

Again, awesome game John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.