GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,364 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Chaos in the Old World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about assigning damage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
This is probably pretty simple but I couldn't find an answer anywhere...

Khorne is attacking another player who has three 1 defense cultists and 1 2 defense warrior. 1 cultist is protected by a chaos card (warp shield? I forget the title of the exact card) Khorne rolls three hits.

Can he kill two cultists?

The rules say he must assign hits to legal targets, and can't assign hits to a target that wouldn't be sufficient to kill it. Which seems to imply that he has to kill the warrior and one cultist.

In the above example it would have mattered because the 'defending' player needed two cultists to tick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My non-rule founded opinion on this is that you can kill the cultists. The other option just seems gamey and weird to me. I say you assign 2 damage to the cultists legally, then you're left with 1 more damage, which you can't assign, so it just goes to waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Kiam Lim
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
My non-rule founded opinion on this is that you can kill the cultists. The other option just seems gamey and weird to me. I say you assign 2 damage to the cultists legally, then you're left with 1 more damage, which you can't assign, so it just goes to waste.

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a rules foundation for this reading, too. It really is not 100% clear in the rulebook I believe, which was why I asked a rules question about this to the FFG guys back in February, and they confirmed our suspicions. The answer I got was thusly:

FFG wrote:
Question: Two enemy figures, one with 1 defense, one with 2 defense, 2 hits to assign. Am I allowed to assign one hit to the figure with 1 defense, leaving one hit to be assigned to the figure with 2 defense (and do not much good)?

Answer: Yes. In this situation, since you can fulfill the rule requiring you to assign enough hits to kill the Defense 1 unit, you are left with only 1 hit remaining, which is not sufficient to defeat the Defense 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question then:

Say you did assign the damage to the cultists then the warrior; then another player in that area goes and rolls a single success. Does the damage carry over or is it just for that combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
Related question then:

Say you did assign the damage to the cultists then the warrior; then another player in that area goes and rolls a single success. Does the damage carry over or is it just for that combat?

The rules specifically say that damage DOES NOT carry over from player to player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
MikePole wrote:
Related question then:

The rules specifically say that damage DOES NOT carry over from player to player.
Excellent; that is what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.