Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ebay Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should be desensitized by now but check out these Ebay bargains:

1. Civ Western Expansion Map and Instructions - $42. Still bidding! You still have time if you are this crazy.
2. Unused game of (are you ready?) Blitzkrieg - $42. One unpunched copy went for $15 or so earlier in the day.

Copies of Titan and Hannibal are $100 plus.

Am I the only one that thinks this is utter madness? You can get quite a few very good games for $100.

I still have to work awful hard to get money. I don't mind spending it if I feel it's not just pissing it away, but a $42 game of Blitzkrieg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
me love eBay
Ebay is a strange and special place where apparently normal people become become unhinged or, to use the technical term, "crazy."

Then again, I got a shrink-wrapped Blackbeard for $20. Go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bargains
Bargains can be had if you're sharp.

I won a German version of Acquire NIB for €11. Since I got bought another item off the cheap aswell to combine postage, it was a really good deal. I had to bide my time. About 6 other copies of Acquire went for double+ that in the few weeks before I got mine. I knew that couldn't last, but the price I got was a bounus.

You won't get Hannibal cheaply. I'd guess there are scores of people who have it on a favourites list and so they get mailed when it comes up. If you want it, it'll usually be at least £55 (€75, $99), unless it's a bashed around copy. I had to settle for a 1st edition - I don't mind as you can get the second ed rules here. Someone had just put it on as a Buy Now and I bit at £50. That was lucky!!

The same goes for Successors (it's brother for 4 players). You'll have to pay if you want it.

There are a whole load of other OOP games that are similar, but Hannibal is one of the most sought after. Personally, I think prices are only likely to rise unless it gets reprinted (doubtful), so I'd say if you can afford it or save for it and really want it, then bite the bullet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, there are still shrinkwraped copies of Successors at my local boardgame shop and sell at their normal price... surprise

If you need one, it is available from www.kaissagames.com in Greece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Licata
United States
knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
What is wrong with this stupid brain of mine?
Whe I read:

www.kaissagames.com

I immediately thought it said

www.kissa**games.com

I thought to myself, Well, that is an interesting, if not creative, name for a game store.

Said thing is, I do this alot. Like yesterday I swore on jounal said "Donated a crappy home" and not "Donated a crappy game". It is beyond me how I ever manage to correctly get through a set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keller
United States
SmorgyLand
Maryland
flag msg tools
I wuv eBay
The thing with *any place* is not all possible customers look around for the best price.

There are folks who visit eBay *and only eBay*. There are those who go to Amazon *and only Amazon*. There are those who go to Toys-R-Us *and only Toys-R-Us*.

So, I don't find it madness at all ... in fact, I luv it, I embrace it, I encourage it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Foodgeek
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
that was my journal charles. And I transpose words, neglect letters, etc...all the time.

Anyway, I am often surprised that some people over bid on things when cheaper ones are available, but some of that is automatic counter bids and timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
I love putting an item up for sale on eBay and then watching as a bid war erupts in the last 5 minutes of the auction. I had a copy of the slipcased edition of Alan Moore's WATCHMEN go from something like $89 to $192 just that quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal - Rome vs. Carthage (5933427456)
Having just paid $150 for an unpunched copy of Hannibal on eBay, I can say that I went into the auction knowing that the "going price" for a game of Hannibal is in the $150 range.

I've seen the game sell for less. In fact, shortly after my auction finished, another auction for a punched game of Hannibal closed with a winning bid of "only" $100. angry

Supply and Demand. I collect games and I wanted a copy of Hannibal. I knew what it would probably cost going in and I accepted that.

Does that make me "crazy"? I don't think so, but my wife might have a different opinon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The eBaying that I find insane has to do with new items, which tend to go for the same price or higher than if you've gotten them from a reputable storefront.

It makes no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RARE! MIB!
I always like it when sellers say that a game like Puerto Rico is listed as "rare" and "mint."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
There's a copy of BuyWord available on eBay for $45, or you can buy it now for $50. There's no picture, but it's new, complete, in shrink, so I'm wondering if this is the Face2Face version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry McVicker
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw some lucky schmoe score a "buy-it-now" of an unpunched "The Longest Day" for $89! Lucky, lucky bastard! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been getting lucky a lot on ebay lately. That's because the geek is now blocked at work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longest Day!
I don't know if that's lucky or not. I mean, yes, our fortunate friend can sell it an make a lot of money, but maybe he will try to play it and never ever come back. That game probably takes forever just to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.