GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

King Philip's War» Forums » General

Subject: NEW ENGLAND ON FIRE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a previous post (Great Book Recommendation) I introduced Margaret Barton's well-researched fictional account on King Philip's War. I was genuinely disappointed in the response. Ms. Barton helped the era come alive so that I could smell the burning timbers and smell the fear sweat on the many characters describes in detail. Not only does she provide an excellent bibliography, but a glossary, substantial notes, and a historical commentary following every chapter. I was impressed, can you tell?

Perhaps an excerpt would entice a few of you to read her most excellent novel. Taken from the chapter "A NIPMUC WELCOME- August 1675" (the viewpoint is that of a young native boy)

Thunder Bear Dreamer stained the faces of the Nipmucs and Wampanoags with ochre as they gathered around a massive grave in the hollowed out top of a forest hillock. Ninety-four dead warriors of the Nipmucs and Wampanoags had been placed on their sides, knees bent, facing the southwest. Small baskets of corn and bows and arrows were placed with the bodies. Metom stood stoically at his father's side as the bodies of his friend, Nimrod, and so back to life, to hear their voices again. The boy squeezed back his tears.
Later the drums resumed their beat calling the sachems, powwows and warriors to the ceremonial area. The Nipmuc sachem Matoonas convened the Council. Reciprocal gift giving, farewells to the dead and affirmations of friendly relationships between the two groups made it now possible to discuss their joint efort in the rebellion against the Wautaconaug (whites).
Matoonas said, "We need to persuade every native in the land to join with us. Let us start with the river tribes to the west. Let our first goal be to rid the river valley of the hateful Wautaconaug. Then shall we look to the east, burning town after to2wn until they sail back to their land across the sea."

I see no blatant sympathy for either side in Ms. Barton's writing. On the contrary, As I read I felt increasingly sorry for both sides. Exciting stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/England-Fire-Stories-King-Philips/dp/0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
In a previous post (Great Book Recommendation) I introduced Margaret Barton's well-researched fictional account on King Philip's War. I was genuinely disappointed in the response.

"Temporarily out of stock."

I don't know about that . . . somebody's been buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:
I don't know about that . . . somebody's been buying it.

Yes indeed. I ordered one for where I work upon reading the previous post on it:

http://lola.plymouth.edu/search/t?SEARCH=new+england+on+fire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the book, based on your recommendation. It should be arriving this week.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand ... most thoroughly corrected. blush
Thank you one and all.

August is not all that far off, can Philip be far behind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
I see no blatant sympathy for either side in Ms. Barton's writing. On the contrary, As I read I felt increasingly sorry for both sides.

One of the hallmarks of great war storytelling from the Iliad onwards.

Cheers,
J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on the book - I'm going to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished this book the other day. I didn't know if I would like the short story style going into it, but it turned out to be really well done. I learned a lot about the conflict from it, and I look forward to playing the game! Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.