GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: I'll ship you a free copy of my new game design... Just test and review it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric A Martin
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Help us get Ship Miniatures on Kickstarter! Deadline Feb 10th
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all. I'll cover all costs! Get a Free game!

I have finished the latest and most complete version of my new game design and would like to send a copy off to an established game group for some blind play testing.

I'm submitting "Exile" for the Chicago Toy and Game Fair design contest and want some preliminary reviews. Any who are interested please post and one or two groups will be selected to receive a copy.

The prototype I will send is very high quality with full color components. It’s truly a publish quality prototype complete with a vinyl game board.

Exile Sun

See some of the components here: http://www.bgdf.com/node/3207

After a test and review the game is yours to keep!! (Hopefully you will play it a few times before reviewing it). I would request that the game group that gets chosen for this assignment write both a public review that can be posted to this thread, and play-test notes, opinions and thoughts to be submitted to me the designer.

Prerequisites

Any who are interested please send me a geek mail or post here with your address, and at least one link to a PREVIOUSLY posted game review written by you. A webpage or other posted material regarding your game group will definitely increase your chances of being sent the prototype. Some enthusiasm for the game type is a must!

Theme and Basic Summary

‘Exile’ is fundamentally a large scale space themed multiplayer conflict game, but that’s where the generalizations end. I designed it to be the ‘Euro’ players wargame, blending a zero luck combat system and extensive hidden information, with Euro-style mechanics like deck-building, a turn-order card draft and technology card auction. The victory point system is dynamic including secret agenda cards as well as other ways to win. Players assume the role of one of 6 unique Human factions all with special player powers. These player powers create a fluid economy in the game with players paying each other for services.

Any specific inquiries are welcome!

I’ll provide a copy of the rules before sending the prototype to confirm your desire to play the game.

Thanks for your interest!

Eric Martin

Below is the Back-of-the-Box text:

Centuries ago, shortly after the first colonization of Mars, the Terran Confederation rose to power as the first global government on Earth. Heralded as the beginning of a new age of mankind, many thought it would bring peace and change to a planet so long plagued by corruption.

It failed… Riding upon tumultuous waves of protest, The Confederation put so great a stranglehold on Earth that millions fled to other worlds and moons. Harnessing all the wealth and power of man’s great home, The Confederation stood immovable for centuries…

The fall of the Sabien Orbital Colony was perhaps their greatest negligence. In a shrouded attempt to silence public outrage, political prisoners and dissidents were blamed for its destruction and a massive witch hunt ensued. Many persons considered dangerous to the elite were openly denounced. So numerous were the condemned, that a standardized sentence was finally passed… exile from the solar system.

But ‘the Forsaken’, as they call themselves, never forgot about their home. They never forgot about their exile, what Earth’s corrupt elite had done to them. Three hundred years passed before they mustered the courage to return, before they decided to reclaim Homeworld, their... promised land.

The political landscape has changed in these past three hundred years. The Confederation is but a memory, but relations are still tense between Earth and Mars. The sins of the past still linger in the minds of the present, seeding suspicion and distrust. Furthermore the presence of new outlying colonial powers accentuates the unpredictable nature of what is to come. While conflict seems inevitable, perhaps only time can tell who will survive unscathed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested but I don't know if you are willing to post to Australia. What is the approximate game duration out of interest? And the range of number of players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric A Martin
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the game duration is 4 hours with an experienced group (so more like 5.5 hrs if its the first time.)

4-6 Players (Best with 6, though shorter with 4 or 5)

Ill see what post is to Australia...

I'm going to let a few days pass at least to allow people to view the thread before making a selection.

Thanks Again

Eric M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play in two different game groups weekly and another one monthly.

All told, a pool of at least 50 gamers and I'm being conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Drake's Flames, he does excellent game reviews:

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Nevin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to try it out at our next gathering.

Send it over. Email some instructions first if your going to send it and I'll get a copy to everyone.

Email me at krister.nevin@gmail.com for address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to trying out your game, but not sure if you will post it to India. As far as reviews are concerned, you can see my 13 reviews on BGG when you goto my contributions or visit http://bengalurugamer.blogspot.com. I also write reviews for a US website called Boardgamebeast.com

Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5.5 hours???

Jsyk I have visited with Jay during a similar contest he did in Utah, and if this is going towards his contest, it better have a strong theme to not be a pure Euro that ranges in the 1.5 hours limit. RGG is very heavy on the Eurogames, and 5.5 hours is cutting it out of the Family market. Good luck. I know other publishers would go for it, but RGG might not be a very good match. FF would be a better match or Zman even.
On the good side, it is not component heavy, just cardboard chits, and it does look complete; a very nice looking prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife says she'd give it a review if she had a copy. She doesn't like battle games, though she doesn't mind the length. Roads and Boats is her favorite game. She grew up playing Risk, before Eurogames were around the area.

edit: we also have a gaming group with 2 groups of 7 or so each, many love battle games, but I'm trying to get them into Eurogames more and more between their games of 40k and Fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to by my kind of game, so I'm willing... If you don't mind send it to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an evergrowing group of people in extreme-southern Brazil with 20+ regulars going for weekly meetings of 10h length medium. I don't think you'd ship to us, but if you want to, we'll gladly play it. Also, if you like the idea of having a lot of people reviewing it, I could assume the responsability to establish a chain-sending of said game. We play it a few times, take pictures, review it and send it for other group to the same (the closest one is roughly 500km away, but still.)

The chain-gaming idea could work for you with other, closer, gaming groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Gray
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent you geekmail about my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks amazing. Too bad my gaming is so erratic that I couldn't promise it'd get played more than once, so I'll have to let this offer pass by. I also don't have any reviewing credentials to speak of. Oh well... I hope this will see a real release some day soon so I can get a copy without having to make any promises I can't keep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek Mail sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure our group would give it a go, we love longer multiplayer conflict games.

Besides my own reviews, my gaming group includes MerricB, whose contributions include almost 800 Session Reports. So we are used to taking notes and pictures during games. I've recently finished playtesting Infantry Attacks: August 1914, so we're ready for the next one!

Love to be of assistance!

GM for contact details should you choose us.

Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric A Martin
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
5.5 hours???
RGG is very heavy on the Eurogames, and 5.5 hours is cutting it out of the Family market. Good luck. I know other publishers would go for it, but RGG might not be a very good match. FF would be a better match or Zman even.

I anticipated your points so thanks, and let me know if my reasoning is sound. (Btw we have finished a game in as few as 3 hours but I'm just trying to be fair and up front with my description)

While this game is not the usual fair for Rio Grande Games here are a few reasons I feel its a good candidate for their consideration.

RGG has very few products competing for this market. They currently publish Friedrich, so the Wargame market is not completely untouched. (and I should mention 'Crisis' has a very different feel than your traditional wargame but the direct player conflict and map could place it in this category.)

'Crisis' with its several Euro-style mechanics will appeal more to a market familiar with Euro games. (I personally feel that Euro games encapsulate strategy far better than most wargames thats why I tried to merge the two.)

Also the low component nature of Crisis makes it a lower risk step into an untouched market for RGG.

In addition to these points my first priority in further tweaking the rules is to shorten the playtime in order to make the game more accessible to less serious gamers.

Crisis has received literally hundreds of hours of play testing so the core of the game is quite solid, i am just hoping to finalize it and perhaps tweak it a little to really help it stand apart.

If the game is received well during the qualifier, and i get the chance to pitch it to Jay, in the worst case ill have some comments from him to help interest other publishers.

Please give me your thoughts!

Eric M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a cool game. If you need more eyes, I'm sure I can persuade my game group in giving it a proper test drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, could you have stages? a beginner stage that takes 2 hours or less, and another stagethat hits the 3/4 of the time and then full game. Through the Ages does it quite well in their stages. But, then again, I've seen veterans clock TtA in under 75 minutes 2 player, whereas I take 4 hours for the beginner stage.

You are right about Jay. He does stretch his "norm" if he feels the game is going to be the next big thing, so yes, you should enter it.

Also remember with Freidrich, he didn't produce this game, he published it via other publishers. Unlike Dominion in which he is the publisher/developer. Histogame did Friedrich, Jay was just bringing it to the states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
heinrichsteven wrote:
Try Drake's Flames, he does excellent game reviews:

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com/

The only problem is that if Matt doesn't like it, and he's not keen on uber-long games, he will SHRED it and a good 10,000 people will see it.

If the game is as solid as he says it is, he shouldn't have anything to worry about with Matt. Good games, get good reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric A Martin
United States
St Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a shorter version for the first time player is a good idea, and actually will not be hard to implement.

I like it thanks.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a job for
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to participate if this is still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
You got a thumb, because your offer seems fair. Shipping neatly looking game as a token of appriciation for reviewing is really nice thing to do.

However game is clearly not for me (after reading the rules/theme summary you posted) so I will not accept your offer - your money is just too precious to me to be wasted on building the prototype and sending it to the wrong person.

Looks nice though so congratulations, and good luck. Keep my fingers crossed for your design.

Also - this post will bump the thread up on the front page, so hopefully more people will see it.

I have a couple questions:
- what is reviewers deadline?
- how did you build/where did you get playtesting prototypes? (if that is not a secret)
- are you considering other publishers too?
- are you considering releasing PnP review package or releasing the game as PnP if it will not be published (even for a short time)?

You can always take a look at The Game Crafter...

edit: English grammar be tricky. Writing words Jedis do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be happy to throw down and play with our game group and let you know what we think.

http://boardgame.geekdo.com/guild/153

We meet almost weekly and some of us meet more than that.

I have a few reviews here http://boardgame.geekdo.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?userna...

Shoot me a GM if you want my address and need another reviewer.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play games enough to promise that I would get my end of the bargain done, but this kind of thing used to be right up my alley. I love longer games and ones that aren't a dice fest are particularly cool.

I'm subscribing to this thread, and I hope that if you have any more news about the game (where I can read rules, can I build my own mock up and try it out, etc) that it will either be posted here or you will link the thread that does mention it. Good luck, it looks really well made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.