GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Car Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gaming The Running Man Movie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats. I posted this message in General Gaming. I did not receive any replies therefore I am using this board.

Has anyone tried gaming The Running Man movie?

What game system did you use?

Did you create your own gaming mechanics?

What are good other ideas for Stalkers?

I have also been thinking of a vehicle-based game where the Runners would be unarmed vehicles (perhaps lightweight motorcycles) and the Stalkers would all have vehicles. Runners could find weapons in the rubble of the game zone. Car Wars would be one system that could easily simulate this setting.

For a vehicular version of The Running Man, would four-wheel ATVs instead of motorcycles be a better vehicle for the Runners? Rules for ATVs would have to be written.

I am familiar with the DriveThruRPG.com card-based game called Urban Manhunt, however I would prefer a map-based game.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think a roleplaying system would handle this better - ideally the Hero system. It's hex based and has a rules infrastructure that would let you simulate any weapon, environment or circumstance.

It's similar to Car Wars in that it also uses phases per turn for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Car Wars has rules for man vs car combat. But in general its not well advised. In the movie as I recall the runners were not armed.

Closest miniatures game to what you want might be Macho Women With Guns and specifically its Renegade Nuns on Wheels expansion which added vehicular mayhem to the weirdness.

Another good miniatures game might be Mekton Z which covers the full gamut from characters to power suits to vehicles to giant robots and up. The RPG part is allmost an afterthought as 90% of the game is the combat.

Hero or Champions at one time had a Road War supplement whos name I cant remember.

Z-Man games I believe has a Deathrace 2000 knock-off board game.

If you have the geekgold for it. Try offering a game design contest for what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If you have the geekgold for it. Try offering a game design contest for what you are looking for.

That would be awesome. Get several game designers idea of this game. Some card driven some dice. That could be very cool. Maybe blend some together after they are all presented. Time to look under the cushions for some GG.

Kraken Fan #69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

I have played multiple versions of the HERO System. I may use some of the ideas from the current edition.

I was also thinking of the Z-Man Games edition of Road-Kill Rally being released this month but I do not know if that version of the game had enough detail for a proper Running Man scenario.

The Runners in the Running Man movie were unarmed, however during the game Arnold and his buddies acquired weapons.

Car Wars would be a good system to use if the Chassis and Crossbow (low-tech autoduelling) rules were updated. The last time they were printed were in 1985 in Dueltrack.

I own the XCrawl RPG but I wanted to avoid fantasy elements.

Combining Running Man Stalkers with Ob-Racing from ADQ 7/2 might be an interesting game.

The AutoVentures supplement The Gauntlet had a solitaire arena with challenges like those in the Ob-Racing article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Frontiers is another RPG/Minis game that features the ability for people on foot to battle vehicles, and vehicle to vehicle combat too. And the weaponry available ranges from knives to lasers.

A Deathsport arena game in that would be definitly do-able. And that would be just the sort of thing an alien race like the Sathar or a corrupt mega-business like Streel Corp would come up with as mass media entertainment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.