Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Settlers in Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier Bond
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I once played a 6 player varient of settlers of catan, It used the same mechanics, but was set in space with asteroid mining. The game must of been in production as it had all the finished pieces such as the spaceships. I'm interesed to know if anyone else has heard of or even played this game. Last and most important, is it available anywhere ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you are thinking about Starfarers of Catan. Here is the link for the game here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
still available
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1897

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
that was the link I meant to include blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Bond
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot I have 6 kids and they love settlers, so I'm keen to get this so we can give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warning
The nice plastic spaceships lose their teeth. The yellow plastic engines clip onto the ships, but the teeth which hold them break VERY easily. Don't bother trying to attach the engines. Not matter how carefull you are, they will snap.

Instead, you should be supplied with some large plastic rings to fit over the spaceships. The rings hold the engines without anything snapping. If they're not in the box, ask Mayfair for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Licata
United States
knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I hate to have to say this...
Starfarer is a far better game then Settlers. Much more fun, more variation in play, and I have not seen too many games played where the perceived leader cannot be usurped.

Every game of settlers I play, you can pretty much tell who will win long before the game is over. Maybe it is just the way we play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Stop trading
If someone is in the lead and will clearly win - stop trading with them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I've found Settlers to be very chaotic near the end. If there's a clear leader (by 3 or 4 VP) halfway into the game, it's hard to catch them. But this hardly every happens. Usually, the leader will get robbed so much, and nobody will trade with them, that the second-place person has good chance to take it.

I found Starfarers to be a well-balanced game, with lots of different strategies, but ultimately very articifial. The mechanics simply involved building up various stats, and the game is just knowing how to balance them. I never found it worth the work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.