GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: BWS: 11 always in the center rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb

Today on BSW I noticed something. I kept resetting the game to see how the BSW implementation configured the random setup of the tiles and I noticed that on BSW there is always an '11' in the center of the board.

Any idea why the do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
The number chits are always placed in the same order, so the 11 will always be in the middle of the board unless the desert happens to land there. There is a 1 in 19 chance that the desert will end up in the middle of the board, so you will see a lot of games with the 11 in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the thrid edition the numbers are lettered and you are suposed to put the numbers in alphabetical order starting a some outside location. as the previous poster said this makes the 11 the middle spot most of the time. I was under the impression that this helps distributes the numbers somewhat evenly so they are no super spots 6,6,8 and no horriable spots 2,12,11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
JustPeachy wrote:
The number chits are always placed in the same order, so the 11 will always be in the middle of the board unless the desert happens to land there. There is a 1 in 19 chance that the desert will end up in the middle of the board, so you will see a lot of games with the 11 in the middle.

Ah, thank you. We always play a total random setup. I didn't realize that the standard was to place the chits in alphabetical order. We like the total random setup and will continue to play that way.

This was one of the first games I bought about 9 years ago (when I rediscovered board games) and I never even noticed the rule about placing the chits in alphabetical order.

I've gotten more thorough in rules reading over time, but I think the Settlers rules are not particularly well organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gesa wrote:
JustPeachy wrote:

Ah, thank you. We always play a total random setup. I didn't realize that the standard was to place the chits in alphabetical order. We like the total random setup and will continue to play that way.

Just because you like the current way you set up the board does not mean you wouldn't like the other set up more. At least give it a try before saying you won't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes_inc wrote:
In the thrid edition the numbers are lettered and you are suposed to put the numbers in alphabetical order starting a some outside location. as the previous poster said this makes the 11 the middle spot most of the time. I was under the impression that this helps distributes the numbers somewhat evenly so they are no super spots 6,6,8 and no horriable spots 2,12,11.

Yes, the order of the chits distributes the numbers so there are no 'super spots' or 'horrible spots', but it also means that the center tile is the 11 unless it's the desert.

Not that it makes any difference to this discussion, but the rules also state that the number chits are to be placed starting on an outside corner. I missed that one myself until I started playing online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes_inc wrote:
I was under the impression that this helps distributes the numbers somewhat evenly so they are no super spots 6,6,8.

Note that a 6,6,8 spot is illegal regardless if you play random setup or follow the alpha sequence. If you place randomly, you can't have two 'red' (6 or 8) production numbers adjacent to each other. The best possible spot becomes 6,5,5 (or another equivalent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
hobbes_inc wrote:
I was under the impression that this helps distributes the numbers somewhat evenly so they are no super spots 6,6,8.

Note that a 6,6,8 spot is illegal regardless if you play random setup or follow the alpha sequence. If you place randomly, you can't have two 'red' (6 or 8) production numbers adjacent to each other. The best possible spot becomes 6,5,5 (or another equivalent).

Yes, we did get that part correct. We don't place the 6's/8's next to each other.

The total random setup is a legitimate way to play it. I play it the other way (alphabetical) on BSW and both are fine. The total random sometimes makes for more lopsided play I suppose, but I still find it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
mst3k4L wrote:
gesa wrote:
JustPeachy wrote:

Just because you like the current way you set up the board does not mean you wouldn't like the other set up more. At least give it a try before saying you won't do it.

I've played several hundred games on BSW and (I now realize) those are played with the alphabetical distribution, so I guess I've tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.