GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking about buying AH... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew
United States
flag msg tools
As the subject says, I'm thinking about buying Arkham Horror. I asked my games group if they would be interested in playing it and one replied:

"if a lot of it is listening to stories, I will probably have trouble with it."

So is AH a lot of listening?

It's kind of a strange question, but I seem to remember games where you made a move, read a paragraph, made a decision based on the paragraph, etc.

Thanks a lot!
-matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is basically move your piece to a location on the board (fight any monsters along the way) and draw a card corresponding to the location you're on. The encounter cards have a paragraph or two of flavor text (for example, You find a dusty old tome in a far corner of the library gain 2 sanity) but if the group can't get through a paragraph you can skip straight to the bottom of the card to find out the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krupa wrote:
It's kind of a strange question, but I seem to remember games where you made a move, read a paragraph, made a decision based on the paragraph, etc.

I believe you are thinking of Tales of the Arabian Nights. Arkham Horror is not like that at all. In each phase, my group prefers to do as many actions as possible simultaneously, and there isn't a whole lot to read, just a paragraph of card text usually, which tells you what happens to you.

In short, there's not a huge amount of listening involved. Buy it, it's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the remarkably fast replies. I posted this question, then found the link to the video review.

I'm definitely going to get it later this week.

-matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
krupa wrote:
Thanks for the remarkably fast replies. I posted this question, then found the link to the video review.

I'm definitely going to get it later this week.

-matt

You won't regret it, for my gaming group, the co-op style of the game made this an instant favorite.

As for the amount of reading during gameplay, it's not like a page from a Choose your own adventure book, it's more like occasionally a sentence or two before you make a choice.

Most actions in the game are like normal adventure games with cards "W happens to you, roll X: If you pass, Y happens, if you fail, Z happens"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the coat tails of this thread - if I was to get it (and I love it) what is the first expansion should I get?

I am trying not to grab this game but the solo has me. I have scored this past week:
A cheap copy of Talisman 4th Ed & Upgrade pack - store bought for $30US
A BBG Marketplace buy of Tannhäuser with Wolf and Yula Korlitz for$75US
Incursion for $50US
(I am in Sydney Australia so the prices on all these do rock when compaired to what I would normally see them for.)

So someone tell me that this is a horrid game and not to waste my money.... please.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
On the coat tails of this thread - if I was to get it (and I love it) what is the first expansion should I get?

It doesn't matter which expansion to get first, if you love it then you'll end up getting all expansions anyway!

But I believe most threads here concerning 'which expansion to get' generally say Dunwich Horror is best.

But just enjoy the base game for a few plays before worrying too much about expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwa ha hahahahaha! devil
Another failed sanity roll!soblue
The following of Cthulhu is growing and matt is his newest victim cultist!zombie
Soon CalabaFantasy Flight will rule the WORLD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.