Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Suggestion for handling geekgold bounty claims rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a few times about people offering bounties of geekgold for stuff and then get it claimed by someone uploading something completely different, either knowingly or not (the last instance was http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=52... ).

I've thought a bit about this, and it's not a trivial problem to solve, either with or without approval of the uploaded content that is supposed to claim a geekgold bounty.

As stated, if the giver of the bounty needs to approve the upload, people can cheat by simply not approving.

The way I've understood the current system, people uploading the same type of material that a bounty is offered for will automatically seem to have claimed that bounty, regardless of whether that's their idea or not. If someone offers a bounty for a translation to German of a game and I upload a translation to Swedish, I will, as I understand the current implementation, get the bounty. This is a limitation in the current code, not evil on the part of the uploaders. They might not even know there is a bounty.

So what to do? This is a suggestion:

- I offer a bounty.

- Someone uploads content of the same type.

- I get a notification that someone has (knowingly or not) claimed my bounty.

- I get a grace period during which I can review the content and either approve or reject it. Let's say the grace period is a month, so that it'll cover business trips and vacations.

- If I approve the content, then my bounty is transferred to the uploader of the content.

- If I reject the content, then my bounty stays up (so I can't reject a valid upload and get my geekgold back). I also need to give some sort of reason as to why I reject it, so that the uploading user can see that. Perhaps they just missed some part of a vaguely worded bounty offer? This way they can create the missing content, upload that, and try again to claim the bounty.

- If I don't either approve or reject the content within the grace period, then the system will automatically approve the upload when the grace period runs out. This way it will continue to be possible to claim bounties offered by people who have stopped using the geek, only it will take a little longer before it gets approved. This is not too different from the way it works today when uploading a new game. You have to wait a while then as well before you get your gold (though not as long as a month).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escrow Agent
The cool thing about an idea is that we can have people acting like Escrow Agents... I gift them (okay if I had any geekgold, I will get on the ball blush ) and tell them what I want to get for the gold. They can offer the bounty and then reject and approve as necessary.

See? A new de facto admin for approving bounty claims. Sheesh then we could even pay the admin in geekgold for performing said duties by gifting additional gold.

Or maybe I should just get back to work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Hmmm... Interesting idea. This might be the way to go...

The downside is I will see people arguing/complaining that some user didn't give them their due GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually thought this would be how it works. The one time someone claimed a bounty of mine, I got an e-mail notifying me of that. I figured there would be a link for me to approve it or not, but I found that wasn't the case.

I think it's a good idea and the only abuse I could see would be putting high bounties on stuff and then getting the file you requested, but declining the bounty go to the proper person. Don't know why one would do that, because I don't know a way to reel in that bounty and get your GG back anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Don't know why one would do that, because I don't know a way to reel in that bounty and get your GG back anyway.

Your friend (or yourself with a fake account) later upload a blank file claiming the bounty, you approve it and then the friend gives the GG back to you ("gift").
EVERY rule can be "abused" if so desired...

Note: I still like the idea, it's surely better that how things work now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
work
it seems that changing the system will require work. i would rater see work put into this site better spent.
i don't see we have a huge problem. sometimes just saying "oh well, thats how things are" and whatching to see things don't get worse is enough.
i belive how you treat people is how they end up behaving. so i like honesty systems.laugh
geek gold is just a fun little thing, not life n death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.