Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Proselytizing - 5 Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have selected five games to bring the "Word of Games" to some potential converts. I have been ablte to entice Scrib a bit with Wallenstein, so now I am trying a batch of more traditional Euros to go sneak through the crack opened by the Big "W". The potential players are wargamers and train-builders. I wanted to give a wide range of the mechanics and conceits of Eurogames, so I chose the following games:

The Toph's Five Conversion Games

1.) Wallenstein - for the warriors

2.) Web of Power - deep filler and scoring mechanics

3.) Modern Art - bidding and auctions

4.) Citadels - role acquisition and use

5.) Settlers of Catan - trading and indirect conflict

Of these, only Citadels is not a favorite of mine... but it is quick, small and portable, and a good introduction to the role selection of other, better games.

I look forward to today and tomorrow, where some of these might hit the table. Wish me luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is...
can the "Big W" make an impression on an award winning hex and counter war game designer? Stay tuned for further postings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Bonet
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
I would change Modern Art for Ra.
I think Modern Art is too much auction too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boob town
i think i'd nominate "boomtown" for the bidding game. i've just got it and am well impressed, as mike skiner would say.
monkies to the moon is another possible, but i think i like boomtown better. and it's bruno.....

also the artwork on the cards is another reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris intends to right a session report...
so I won't go into any depth but it was interesting to see Wallenstein's mechanisms slowly get a grip on VvB as the game progressed.

Personally, I still have difficulty recognizing strategic opportunities and vulnerablilties but it hasn't made the game any less enjoyable yet. I'll either get better at it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.