GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,018 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day -- Conduit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONDUIT Regroup/Resolution/Intermediate/Optional

Creates Connections Between Home and External Colonies

You have the power to connect. At the end of your encounter as offensive player you may use this power to create a connection between a home planet where you have a colony and an external planet where you have a colony. No planet may have more than one connection attached. You may only create one connection per encounter. At the beginning of your encounter as offensive player you may use a connection to move your ships from one end to the other. You may move as many ships as you like but at least one ship must be left on the sending planet. You may do this even if you do not have a colony on the receiving planet. You may only use one connection per turn. You may destroy one connection at the end of your turn (just before connection creation). If you lose your power, existing connections remain, but you may not use them or create new ones.

History: The Conduits plan to connect the cosmos.

FLARE

Regroup
Wild: You may redistribute your ships among your colonies.

Resolution
Super: At the end of your encounter you may make a connection to any external planet even if you do not have a colony there.

Commentary: This is a resource power created by Eric Clason. This is an interesting power. It helps you keep your colonies in a logical and aesthetically pleasing way. It does something rather unique which makes it a fun power to play. The original power only allowed Conduit to create connections and move ships between connections once per turn. I changed it to once per encounter to allow Conduit to get more use out of his power. If this power "needs something" to make it more useful, perhaps a mini-Amoeba ability could be added. During planning as defensive player, if Conduit is being attacked where he has a connection he can move ships through the connection either to the attacked planet or away from it.

Commentary from Eric Clason: Although a base can be reestablished through a connection, other restrictions on token movement are applicable. For example: a connection could not be used to move tokens onto a Filth planet or off of a Gorgon planet.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
"Scissors and ball of yarn not included."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Fantasy Flight, it wasn't a big deal for someone playing Warrior to grab a pencil and scrap paper to write down his experience points. Likewise, Terrorist needed to write down bomb locations and Schizoid needed to write down win conditions. As for Grudge, players remembered being invited. For Conduit, you can just as easily grab a pencil and scrap paper and note down which two planets are connected.

You don't need the power card to specifically tell you to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't suggesting you add that sentence to the card ... it was a joke. But thanks for reminding me how pencils work (now if only I could remember how to use those silvery things next to my plate to get food into my stomach).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, my first thought is "amoeba-lite"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. Needs a more detailed History. How 'bout:

Like most other spacefaring species, the Conduits built ships to take them into space, but they had the foresight to realize that there is an easier way. They built "space bridges" to make travel much faster, safer, and more convenient. With this technique, conquering the galaxy should be a breeze!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find Conduit to be particularly useful. It seems like all it does is help the player not lose a foreign colony. I suppose you can move ships back to a particular home colony, but so what? It's not even as good as Worm in that regard, and that's saying something.

Conduit would be easier to keep track of by just adding a cosmic token (or Conduit token) to each foreign colony he gets (even as an ally). And he is connected to all of his colonies, able to move ships around any way he likes (even on a planet where he loses a colony, since foreign colonies have the marker to indicate the connection- and all home planets are automatically connected so long as he has power).

But I don't know if that alone is enough of a power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the strength of the power will fluctuate based upon how often ship removal effects are in a particular game. Conduit is more useful when Shadow is in the game. Having all planets automatically connected is probably better. You can then rename the power "Go'a'ould" the power of Stargates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that it may be quite powerful. It's a little bit of the Amoeba, combined with the ability to regain both foreign and home bases. Essentially, you can never lose a base permanently.

And if all of his home planets are automatically connected, he can almost never have his power taken away, either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem to much like Amoeba at all. He can only move the ships as offense, and not into the gate. He can beef up some of the colonies in the home system, but again... whoop de doo. It isn't even as good as Worm, since Conduit will spread the ships out, keeping about 3 or 4 ships on each planet. Not that big of a deal. It's purely a resource alien, letting you move ships around between encounters for the most part. Better as a moon effect than a power. Conduit needs something more to give it oomph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just "beefing up" colonies in the home system, it's also reclaiming them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps if Conduit is attacked on a planet with a connection the ships on the other planet it is connected may add to Conduit's encounter total but not counting for compensation nor considered lost if Conduit loses the encounter. Conduit can still move ships if he wants where ships physically on the attacked planet count in all ways as ships in the encounter.

I like this power's concept. I want to make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.