GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,325 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Good review... I enjoyed it and your cat rolls good dice... what was she eating though in the last few seconds... that wasn't a zombie counter was it? Look forward to other reviews from you and your cat.

It was a "shot" counter I think. No worries though, plenty of those to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the review very much.

I agree that the skirmish game is most likely the way to go when having more than one player. The campaign seems to be geared more toward solo play; I mean, the first scenario starts with two survivors which seems awkward to play with four players for example.
I'm looking at the miniatures game also at the moment, and while I really like the game, the campaign does seem to be written with soloplay or at least tight cooperatively.
I'm trying to find a format that follows the skirmish style of seperate groups of survivors but allowing them to develop based on the campaign framework... a bit tricky, with allowing the same terrain to accomodate very different scenarios at once.

Then again, I do play quite a number of games solo, and ATZ whether boardgame or miniature version are great for that zombie apocalypse feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays good solo!!!

God dammit - why do I watch this stuff...onto the wish list. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc von Martial
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this video review. Good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I haven't played it with friends yet either, but I sort of started getting the feeling early on that solo was potentially a better experience. I've played at least twice now solo. I'm suppose to run it at a game day in July, we'll see how that goes.

The one thing that stood out to me at the beginning when you rolled Initiative though was your comment on rolling 2 ones. You stated that heroes would go first and then zombies. I'm pretty sure that the rules state that if doubles are rolled, you roll both dice again.

Did you actually get different color D6's in your game? I found it odd that they asked me to roll different color D6's for zombies and heroes, but all of the dice in my game are white. Not that D6's are hard to find, but it's an odd thing not to include when you write it in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got all white dice, but like any good geek, I had an extra black die lying around.

I am at work right now so I don't have my rules, but if my memory serves me correctly, it doesn't matter what the roll is if both the survivors and the zombies activate, the survivors always go first.

I could very well be incorrect, it wouldn't be the first time I got a rule wrong, and it isn't as if always going first with the survivors has led to them living any longer, this game is very unforgiving when it comes to handing out death sentences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!

I had this preordered, cancelled it, but your review sort of made me think I should have just bought it.

Might need to keep this one in mind, thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review.

I agree completely.

thumbsup

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the rules online, page 8, step 2 of Initiative says to reroll on ties. Also, if both zombies and heroes activate, the ones that go first are based on who rolled the higher number (while still rolling equal or less than the Rep). So a zombie rolling a 4 and heroes rolling a 3, zombies activate first. This has come close to taking me out more than once.

Yeah, I had plenty of D6's, more than needed. I added some vertebrae dice in for zombie dice.

I agree. It's a very unforgiving game. I love it for the "trying to survive" feel. Last Night on Earth is definitely the game for friends all playing together, and I love that one for the zombie movie cliche themes. But All Things Zombie is the one I'd sit down and play (probably solo) if I want to feel like I'm really trying to survive a zombie onslaught. In fact the very first scenario I really think twice about ever firing a weapon so as not to attract too many zombies (on such a small playing area).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. Left a tip as this was very useful to me: I’ve been on the fence about this one and gradually losing interest based on what I’ve read about it. The information in this review has kind of confirmed that for me (at least for now). If I see this come up at a Con I may give it a shot, but it won’t be a buy unless the play experience really changes the impressions I’ve picked up so far.

For group games, LNOE looks like more fun, lot of comments in the reviewa and the replies about great solo play, but I just don’t play boardgames solo (if I have leisure time all to myself I’ll grab a book, turn on my PS3 or pick up my guitar, I prefer boardgames as a group activity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the ease of solo play, but the best aspect of ATZ for me is it is a great two-player game, (cooperative or competative). My other zombie board games (Last Night, Zombies!!!, Mall of Horror, etc…) all play best with 3 to 6 players. I like playing in a group, but real life makes that difficult. Plus, not everyone likes zombie games, while I don’t like building railroads or collecting sheep. ATZ fills the two-player zombie board game niche very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not big on playing board games solo either; heck I usually don't even entertain the idea except maybe to get myself ready to teach a game. I'm finding this game to be the exception though. Originally, I was trying it out solo just to make sure I understood most of the rules. But I enjoyed it and played it again (with a few onlookers) just to once again see if I could survive the zombie onslaught. ;-}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walock
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Review. I heard about this game awhile ago but it dropped of my radar. Your review sold me on it. I'm interested in the solo play too. Keep up the good work reviewing that massive collection of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, good review. Please let me share a few thoughts with everyone. First off, thanks Lance. If the review had been exactly the same, but your bottom line had been, "I don't really like it," I'd still be thanking you. The board game community needs these type of good-humored, even-handed reviews. Second off...the cat is hilarious! Just hilarious. We are pet people too, owning four dogs and two cats. All of which were strays. Third off, I'm really glad you liked the campaign. I love writing, have written a couple of novels, and bringing Tonya to life was a lot of fun. Fourth off, to make this a complete review, I want to add some more information. We had some problems with Board 1/2 in the first print run. To be exact, almost 10% were bad...way too high. As of yesterday, we have replaced all the boards 1/2. We also had a much lower incidence of miscut 3/4 (about 1.5%). Those are going out within the next two days. I appreciate everyone's patience as we straightened this out.

Quote:
2 of Initiative says to reroll on ties. Also, if both zombies and heroes activate, the ones that go first are based on who rolled the higher number (while still rolling equal or less than the Rep). So a zombie rolling a 4 and heroes rolling a 3, zombies activate first.

That is exactly right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad you liked it, and thanks for clearing up the initiative rule for me.

I always seem to get at least one rule wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one of those messed up boards (map 1/2) and contacted customer service, the problem was correctly quickly and I was very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the problem was correctly quickly and I was very happy.

Thanks, we try do try. We often screw up, but we do try.

Quote:
rules

Lance, I'm the same way. We have a group that gets together once or twice a month. We always try to read the rules for whatever game we are playing beforehand. Inevitably, I'll think I understand the game, and then find out I'm playing a couple of things wrong. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ortex
msg tools
Great review, it gave me a good overview about the gameplay.

I would recommend to steady the camera somehow. The constant shaking made me a little nervous. Try to fix the camera and hold the cards etc. into view instead. Should improve your already good videos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Botkin
United States
Morton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for an excellent review! I have been debating on whether or not to buy this game and your review tipped the scales to 'Definitely'. By the way. I like the way you treat your cat. I like all cats - both the big ones (as shown by my avatar) and the domestic ones. I have 3 cats that I rescued from the animal shelter. I like watching the Animal Cops show on Animal Planet. But if I were an animal cop and saw the way some people on that show abused their animals, you would just about have to physically restrain me from showing the pet owner what it means to be abused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Frederiksen
msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,

After seeing your short review, I have some questions:

How do you win a game? All I learned was how to kill zombies and look for stuff in buildings, what does Nick need to do to win?

If you can play solo, how do the Zombies move? Do you control where they will go (which would make it kind of silly to play solo), or do the rules state how they move etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww, you got me all excited thinking there was a new review, but instead it was just a bit of necromancy on an old thread. Which I supposed is appropriate for a zombie game! zombie

Anyway, he was just doing a little example of how the game is played, it wasn't a specific scenario. The game comes with 6 scenarios each of which has different requirements to win. For example in the first scenario the characters need to search the buildings on the map until the characters each find an additional weapon, or all the buildings have been searched. In addition, they also must escape off the edge of the board. The scenarios can also be linked together to form a small campaign.

There are specific rules on how the zombies move in the game with the main thing being that they will try to move toward the nearest survivor in an attempt to enter the hex with the survivor and melee them. Since 'BRRAAAAAaaaaiinnnsss!!!' is the main motivating force behind these zombies, this works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.