GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,108 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Liberté» Forums » General

Subject: Brotier and d'André? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is he?

I am wanting to learn more about the French Revolution and the names associated with this game. I am trying to figure out who is Brotier - A-Deck, 1-White card? I found a spreadsheet on the files section that claims this:

Quote:
André-Charles Brotier, chief agent in the royalist network of spies. Chiefly known for a royalist conspiracy attempt to turn the National Guard near Paris against the government, which was denounced and ultimately failed.

But looking up "André-Charles Brotier" only gives me an author. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Brotier?
There are some entries in old reference books, for example this. Under the entry for Gabriel Brotier, it says

Quote:
His nephew, Andre Charles, scholar, b. 1751; condemned to death for royalist conspiracy; sent to Cayenne 1787; d. 13 Sept. 1798.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the additional info. With Gabriel connected to him, all the books that keep popping up when I do a search makes sense now. Still wish there was more out there on him.

Anyone have a portrait of him as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Antoine-Balthazar-Joseph d'André?

His name shows up on the list of Prefecture of Police and as President of the Assembly but I can't find any good bios on him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "Roland" the husband or wife in this game? Which portrait is it - male or female?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Baptiste Ménard
France
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Is "Roland" the husband or wife in this game? Which portrait is it - male or female?

Jean-Marie Roland de la platière was a male member of the Girondins club, and a minister. He committed suicide when his wife Manon was sent to the guilltine, in 1793. She famously said "Liberté, liberté, que de crimes commis en ton nom !" that means "Liberty, liberty, so many crimes committed in your name !"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.