GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Dominion: Prosperity» Forums » General

Subject: My guess about included cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the thread about RGG's website update, most people are assuming that there will be a gem (treasure greater than gold) and colony (VP card better than province). I have a different idea about how this expansion may work.

I would assume that the two new basic cards will be abilities that can be purchased. Of course this isn't a new concept. It would be like the third bean field in Bohnanza, like the genes in Primordial Soup, like the aliens in Sternenfahrer von Catan, and I'm sure there are a hundred more examples of games that do this.

As someone else said, the actions could be like Council Room, where they are better to you than they should for the cost, yet they give your opponents something also. I could see this fitting in with new abilities, maybe your opponents could use their particular ability when you play cards that benefit them.

Alchemy has slowed the game considerably, and I expect that Prosperity will speed it up. I'm assuming that there will be fewer chances to build giant action chains, and more ways to build a deck rich with money. I really have high hopes for this expansion. I can't wait to see it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
I'd love to see Prosperity force more groupthink into Dominion. We could use more interactivity.

Maybe I am not following you, but I think Dominion is most interesting with less group think.

I play regularly with two other players, and it seems like we are falling into a strategic rut because of group think.

Things become far more interesting for us when a fourth player we do not usually play with comes in and forces us to adjust.

I believe part of this is because 10 Kingdom cards in a pile does not have enough scarcity (edit: in a 3er game) to inspire the creativity required in a 4 player game. The other part is that the 4th player makes different choices than we are used to, so we think a little more in many scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
uigrad wrote:
In the thread about RGG's website update, most people are assuming that there will be a gem (treasure greater than gold) and colony (VP card better than province).

That's because Rio Grande Games said so themselves.

I searched for "gem" at the RGG page, and found nothing. The text that I see there is:
Rio Grande Games site wrote:
This is the 4th addition to the game of Dominion. It adds 25 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus 2 new Basic cards that let players keep building up past Gold and Province.

I don't see anything that indicates a treasure card with a fixed value that is greater than 3. The basic card could be an ability, that allows golds to be more powerful (maybe each gold has an implicit additional buy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:

Donald X and Jay have commented about that themselves in threads here on BGG.

Oh that's what I've been trying to find. Can you find me a link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
my is on platinum cost 8 for 4 coin, and state cost 10 for 6vp + 1vp per other victory card type in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Snyder wrote:
my :gg: is on platinum cost 8 for 4 coin, and state cost 10 for 6vp + 1vp per other victory card type in your deck.

That seems to be an awfully specific limb you are out on there - and one that is contrary to popular rumor. The rumor I heard (from playtesters) a few months ago was that the expansion after Alchemy would make "10 the new 7", implying that 9 would get you something good, but 11 would get you what you really wanted, with 10 being the dead space in between.

With the basic card announcement, it's pretty much verified in my mind. 9 = treasure with 4 coin value, 11 = 10 VP victory card (most likely, based on previously witnessed patterns) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Andrew Snyder wrote:
my is on platinum cost 8 for 4 coin, and state cost 10 for 6vp + 1vp per other victory card type in your deck.

That seems to be an awfully specific limb you are out on there - and one that is contrary to popular rumor. The rumor I heard (from playtesters) a few months ago was that the expansion after Alchemy would make "10 the new 7", implying that 9 would get you something good, but 11 would get you what you really wanted, with 10 being the dead space in between.

With the basic card announcement, it's pretty much verified in my mind. 9 = treasure with 4 coin value, 11 = 10 VP victory card (most likely, based on previously witnessed patterns) .

Based on the patterns established by Mine, Remodel and the exiting basic cards 9/4 and 11/10 does seem like a safer bet. But asking a play tester is like playing the Spy- I wanted to engage in the guessing exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on this news (10 being the new 7), I'll wholeheartedly agree that the new basic Treasure probably costs 9 coins and provides 4 coins when played. I also agree that the new basic Victory card will probably cost 11. I don't think it'll be worth 10 Victory Points, though. Yes, that would fit the current pattern, but if I recall correctly the pattern used to be 1, 3, and 5 Victory Points before Province was tweaked up to 6. So I'm guessing it'll be worth 8 Victory Points, maybe 9. 10 points for only 11 coins seems a bit excessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Andrew Snyder wrote:
my :gg: is on platinum cost 8 for 4 coin, and state cost 10 for 6vp + 1vp per other victory card type in your deck.

Perhaps that means that 7 will be a viable price then if "10 is the new 7". We may see some cards that cost 7.

I wonder if the "province" ending is replaced by the greater VP card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 7, the dreaded 7. I've said since we first got Dominion, and before we got any of the expansions, that there MUST be a 7 cost card somewhere; anywhere. But even after all the expansion, nope. But now, maybe they are getting a clue and upping the posibilities.

And I don't know about anyone else, but after about 50 games, Duchy's rarely if ever get purchase; Estates pretty much never. They really need some kind of card (simular to the island) that lets you store Estates or even Duchys out of your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Yes, 7, the dreaded 7. I've said since we first got Dominion, and before we got any of the expansions, that there MUST be a 7 cost card somewhere; anywhere. But even after all the expansion, nope. But now, maybe they are getting a clue and upping the posibilities.

And I don't know about anyone else, but after about 50 games, Duchy's rarely if ever get purchase; Estates pretty much never. They really need some kind of card (simular to the island) that lets you store Estates or even Duchys out of your hand.

I buy Duchies and Estates in almost every game. Late in the game, more Action and Treasure cards do you no good because they will not come up again before the game ends. The other day, I noticed that an opponent had one more Province than I did, but I had two more Duchies and one more Estate than he did. Result: Win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

I buy Duchies and Estates in almost every game. Late in the game, more Action and Treasure cards do you no good because they will not come up again before the game ends. The other day, I noticed that an opponent had one more Province than I did, but I had two more Duchies and one more Estate than he did. Result: Win.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

Depends on the setup, but I even buy estates in the end game sometimes. I also win it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

I start buying Duchies as soon as I'm reasonably sure that I'm not going to have to reshuffle my deck again, sometimes even before. It's pretty easy to know if you're trailing in the province race, but you can make it up pretty quickly with Duchies if your opponents start to stall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the difference in points between a Duchy and a Gold is 3 points. The difference in buying power between them is $3, which also results in a difference of at best 3 points (Provinces cost 3 more than Duchies). So if you're expecting to draw your at-most-7-cost card zero or one more times, it may as well be a Duchy instead of a Gold. Even if you're going to go through your deck one more time!

Of course, some action-heavy decks work differently, and it also depends on whether you want the game to go a bit longer or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marts
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
What I would like to see in Prosperity would be a new kingdom card similar to embargo. A card that allows you to place a new token onto a kingdom pile; cards in that kingdom pile now cost +2 treasure to buy for each token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingoglow wrote:
What I would like to see in Prosperity would be a new kingdom card similar to embargo. A card that allows you to place a new token onto a kingdom pile; cards in that kingdom pile now cost +2 treasure to buy for each token.

At some point Donald X did say that there will be more cards that trash themselves when played. I could easily imagine a token like you're talking about. That would be very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
kingoglow wrote:

I'd like to see this too. Embargo is often ineffective (if there's anything to get rid of the curses or if curses are likely to run out), but I like the idea behind it. Raising the price of something--especially if you do it multiple times--would be a great way to keep people from getting particular cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
kingoglow wrote:

At some point Donald X did say that there will be more cards that trash themselves when played. I could easily imagine a token like you're talking about. That would be very interesting.

Donald X engaged in trash talking? Oh, the scandal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
kingoglow wrote:

I'd like to see this too. Embargo is often ineffective (if there's anything to get rid of the curses or if curses are likely to run out), but I like the idea behind it. Raising the price of something--especially if you do it multiple times--would be a great way to keep people from getting particular cards.

If I have 2 coin to spend at the end of my turn in the early game, and I know my deck doesn't have any terminal actions yet, and embargo is out there, i will buy it, treating it as a temporary silver card and just throw the embargo token out there to screw with the playing field and force people's thinking down unusual paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klintus Fang wrote:
If I have 2 coin to spend at the end of my turn in the early game, and I know my deck doesn't have any terminal actions yet, and embargo is out there, i will buy it, treating it as a temporary silver card and just throw the embargo token out there to screw with the playing field and force people's thinking down unusual paths.

Same here. If I'm really that squeamish about cutting off something I might want later, I can always place an Embargo token on the Curse pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

I start buying Duchies as soon as I'm reasonably sure that I'm not going to have to reshuffle my deck again, sometimes even before. It's pretty easy to know if you're trailing in the province race, but you can make it up pretty quickly with Duchies if your opponents start to stall.

I TOTALLY agree with you here. I think that the only time Duchies don't matter is 2P games on BSW, where you are going to get 5 of each card you really want, and you can almost predict your hand each time (building for a province per turn of course).

Real life 4 and 5 and 6p games are much more interesting, and the Duchies REALLY do matter. In about 6 games last night (5player night) there wasn't a single game where Duchies didn't matter, and most games they were the difference between winning and losing. Then again, in a 5p game, you only average 2 Labs instead of 5 (in a 2P game).

One of my regular gaming friends has a saying, which is : You don't win the game without buying a 7-dollar Duchy. I couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.