GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scenario: Hunker Down Manor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a mix of Hunker Down and Defend the Manor House or sort of a "Super Defend the Manor House".

Rules:

Grave Weapons, Zombies Auto-Spawn, Always Zombie Heroes
Survival Decks, Barricades, Manor House Deck 10, Heroes Replenish, Hero Start Cards (1)

Turns: 18*

The heroes must hunker down in the Manor House for 4 turns. They must fully barricade the Manor House and no zombies can be in the house at the end of the hero turn*. If the zombies can get 12 or more zombies into the house at any time, the zombies win*, or by stopping the heroes from reaching their goal.

Once the Manor House is fully barricaded, the zombies gain Zombie Horde 21.

Heroes start in their standard starting spaces. If their starting space doesn’t exist, they start in the Manor House (with no extra cards*).

The main idea is to create a high-conflict bloodbath with lots of plastic pieces flying around the board, incorporating the Manor House and all the fun SOTF rules. Some of the other ideas are that the heroes can search in the Manor, but they need to leave to draw from their Survival decks, which is critical. Once the heroes barricade the Manor, Zombie Horde kicks in for a climactic ending -- the heroes don’t have time to dilly dally with the horde coming, they need to hunker down right away.

We tried a run of this last night and it appeared to be an interesting, fun scenario that accomplished the goal of having a lot of conflict. Tough scenario for the heroes, with a lot to accomplish in a little time. They were running short on time to build the barricades when they pulled the Survival Tactic "Barricade the Windows," picking up 4 barricades to finish the job with maybe 6 turns left to play. At that point however, they struggled with killing all the zombies in the house. Before they could rid the house of zombies, the 4th and final hero was killed. Had he not been killed, killing all the zombies AND keeping them out for 4 turns would have been a tall order. To be fair, the game went a little more the zombies’ way than the heroes’ way. The heroes didn’t get a great draw by any means and really struggled with their ranged weapons, missing their shots and running out of ammo frequently.

*Here are 4 things I’m struggling with:

1) How many turns? The "Hunker Down" scenario only gives the heroes 16 turns to accomplish the goal. However, "Hunker Down" only requires building 4-8 barricades typically. "Hunker Down Manor" requires 12 barricades to be built, much harder. We tried 18 but I’m not sure it shouldn’t be 20.

2) Should the heroes be required to rid the Manor House of zombies completely? That part appears to make this scenario especially tough. I’m considering heroes just have to outnumber the zombies in the house.

3) I don’t know whether or not the zombies should be able to win by getting 12 zombies into the Manor House or if we can skip this part entirely. We felt we needed to give the zombies an incentive to attack the Manor, but I think there might be enough of an incentive in that the heroes have to be in the Manor to win, and will be there throughout the game building barricades. It’s a tough enough goal for the heroes to complete, I don’t know if there needs to be more to it. The number 12 was intentionally high but it did force the heroes to stick around the Manor for a couple of turns where they might not have otherwise.

4) Should heroes who start in the Manor House get an extra card to start the game? Even though the Manor House has a deck, my inclination is "yes," as it depletes very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Once the heroes barricade the Manor, Zombie Horde kicks in for a climactic ending -- the heroes don’t have time to dilly dally with the horde coming, they need to hunker down right away.

For clarification, does this mean that the MH must have 12 barricades before Zombie Horde is enacted? And that the Heroes need to defend the MH for 4 turns thereafter to declare victory?

The issue with this is many, if not all, of the spawning pits are 4 spaces away from the Manor House anyway. So by the time Zombie Horde is activated, the extra Zombies will never make it to the party.

1) 18 turns, only because 20 turns of LNOE, IMO, is a very long game (even if it's 20 turns 'at most').

2) I'd say no to the "zero zombies" rule. Just as long as there aren't 12+ in the MH.

3) 12 is a bit tough for Zombies, especially since the Zombie Horde rule kicks in so late. And Heroes can easily draw Zombies out and away from the MH. Do ALL 4 Heroes need to remain in the MH to win?

4) No opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thoughts, thanks. I think I'm going to go with:

1) 18 turns
2) Heroes just have to outnumber the zombies (same as "Supply Run")
3) We'll try it without the "12 zombies" rule and see how it goes.
4) We'll say no card for now.

As to the ZH question, yes, the 18 barricades would be up. The heroes don't have to "hunker down" for 4 consecutive turns, so the 18 barricades doesn't necessarily mean that there are only 4 turns remaining in the game, though that is likely the case. The addition of ZH, though, almost forces the heroes to finish in 4 consecutive turns before the Horde arrives.

All that stated, I'm considering just giving ZH to the zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.