GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Origins - Organizing longer games while there rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: origins_2010 [+] [View All]
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm going, and I'll be in the Board Room most (maybe the whole?) time. I never have trouble finding people to play shorter stuff with - everybody is usually so friendly! But I do have a hard time planning longer games (3+ hours) and I do like a few of those. So, how about some preplanning to get a few longer games in while there? I already posted a thread about Here I Stand on its own forum. But I'm also interested in Through the Ages, Struggle of Empires, maybe Axis and Allies... others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Through the Ages junkie, I am likely open for this game early on Wenesday before CABS library arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Civilization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sharp
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a buddy into the game as well and we'll be looking to play three and four player Through the Ages with experienced players who play relatively fast. We'll be there all five days and appreciate scheduling some games in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brumitt
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play Through the Ages. I have a copy and have been itching to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would be interested in playing

Age of Renaissance
Manifest Destiny
Adv Civ
Through the Ages

I'll be there Wed-Sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played Age of Renaissance and am not a big fan - but I would love to learn Manifest Destiny if you are teaching!

Sounds like Through the Ages is definitely ON - we are arriving on Wednesday before noon as well, so how does Wednesday evening sound for a play time? Would those of you who have replied here be interested in that time slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
Advanced Civilization?

Yikes, that might be TOO long - last time I played Advanced Civ, it took us 12 hours. But... it is fun... there aren't that many chances to play it... is there any chance at all that there would be more than just the two of us interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkircher wrote:

I would be interested in playing

Age of Renaissance
Manifest Destiny
Adv Civ
Through the Ages

I'll be there Wed-Sun

Don't worry Rob, we'll find you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would anyone be willing to play Starcraft? I'll be there all day Friday and Saturday.

I own both starcraft and expansion, and have been dying to learn and play with my group here, however every time one of us looks at the rulebook, we pass out and end up playing Dungeon Lords or Chaos in the old world instead.

If anyone loves the game and is willing to teach and play, I'd love to put something on the calendar to play. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to learn Die Macher if someone has a copy and is willing to teach. PM me as I check the site rarely but always respond to mail. I'll be there the whole 5 days but prefer Wednesday.

I've signed up for it at cons before as an event... but I was the ONLY ONE and had to get a refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in playing:

Starcraft
Through the Ages

I will be arriving at Origins in the morning on Wednesday and will be leaving early on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am definitely interested in Starcraft as well, and also have never played it. I'll read the rules before I come, but certainly want someone else to teach it! But if nobody can, I'm sure we can muddle our way through the rules somehow.

Die Macher - I'd play, and I played before once a long time ago, but I wasn't that thrilled by it. Maybe it's aged well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
Sounds like Through the Ages is definitely ON - we are arriving on Wednesday before noon as well, so how does Wednesday evening sound for a play time? Would those of you who have replied here be interested in that time slot?

I am interested in learning Through the Ages as I have never played it but have been wanting to. Playing on Wednesday evening works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay, that's cool, I've since read the rules, and actually FFG's instruction videos were helpful as well. We should hook up for a game, Brett as well. A time/date that works best for you guys? Jay I saw you at Geekway but didn't get a chance to talk to ya, so I can find ya in the BG room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get a chance to finally play Planet Steam if anyone is going to have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages is an easy sell. Plenty currently play this game at CABS; however, there in no club copy. If you just set up in the Board Room, with any longer game, you will likely find players with a little patience. The key is making sure you bring a copy of the game you want to play.
I only know one couple that owns Planet Steam and they will be teaching Rio Grande games all Origins. Doubtful they will bring the game.

Games routinely played at CABS, and good bets to find players include:

Manifest Destiny
Age of Renaissance
Through the Ages
Die Macher
Starcraft
Advanced Civilization (a harder sell due to length)

I intend to play Through the Ages earlier on Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
Jay, that's cool, I've since read the rules, and actually FFG's instruction videos were helpful as well. We should hook up for a game, Brett as well. A time/date that works best for you guys? Jay I saw you at Geekway but didn't get a chance to talk to ya, so I can find ya in the BG room.

Excellent Aaron, let's definitely plan on it! Chris will probably join us too (I think?) How about Thursday afternoon sometime? (I want to keep Thursday morning free to raid the Dealer's Room and get any new games that might be releasing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brett_B wrote:

I am interested in learning Through the Ages as I have never played it but have been wanting to. Playing on Wednesday evening works for me.

Great! I'll be in the Board Room on Wednesday night with a copy of TtA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Blinko wrote:
Through the Ages is an easy sell. Plenty currently play this game at CABS; however, there in no club copy. If you just set up in the Board Room, with any longer game, you will likely find players with a little patience.

I've been to Origins several times and have been in the Board Room most of those times - and I agree that it's usually easy to find players for a game. Sometimes, though, I've found that planning ahead a little helps - there's nothing worse than being the guy who shows up ten minutes after the game you really wanted to play has gotten started!

The Board Room is fantastic for pickup games, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
zenmazster wrote:

Excellent Aaron, let's definitely plan on it! Chris will probably join us too (I think?) How about Thursday afternoon sometime? (I want to keep Thursday morning free to raid the Dealer's Room and get any new games that might be releasing).

Yeah sure, I'm down for Starcraft if there's room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play Struggle of Empires since I haven't been able to play it in a long time (and probably don't know how anymore).

I have Planet Steam if enough people want to play it but I wouldn't consider it that long of a game unless you have four or more newbies that have severe and I mean severe AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
zenmazster wrote:

Thursday afternoon works for me, but the earlier the better. I am wanting to try to play in the Wits and Wagers Game Show at 7:00 Thursday night. How about 1:00 or so on Thursday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burgess
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
Brett_B wrote:

Great! I'll be in the Board Room on Wednesday night with a copy of TtA!

Sounds good! What time do we think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Let's pencil in 2:00pm Thursday afternoon on the calander for now if that's cool. According to BGG, plays best with 4, so we have:

a) me
b) darden
c) jay
d) brett

on for starcraft. Awesome! Lookin forward to it!

If you need to update the time or anything, just send us a pm and we'll work to getting together at the best time for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.