GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,024 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day -- Conjurer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONJURER Planning/Beginner/Optional

Trades Cards For Ships

You have the power to resurrect. As main player, after encounter cards are played but before they are revealed, you may use this power to discard cards from your regular hand and retrieve your ships from the Praw to the warp and/or from the warp to bases in the following manner: 1 ship per Attack Card, 2 ships per Artifact, 5 ships per Wild Flare, and all ships for a Super Flare. Return the ships to any of your colonies, including the attacked planet where you already have a colony as the defender if you wish. You may use this power when opposing Cripple.

HISTORY: While other aliens waste their weapons on the heat of battle, the Conjurers know that to conquer the universe, you must have beings to rule it. The Conjurers have made the technological breakthrough to allow their weapons to create life, as well as destroy it.

FLARE

All
Wild: You may discard an Attack Card from 1 to 10 and retrieve up to that many of your ships from the warp to your colonies.

Planning
Super: You may discard Negotiate Cards, retrieving one ship from the warp to colonies for each.

Commentary: This is a resource power from Matt Stone's set This power is quite efficient. You get to cycle through new hands a lot, and your ships become an almost infinite resource. Useless for you at the moment Artifacts and Flares now have value. You are still stuck with Negotiates, but you'd be stuck with them if you were not Conjurer; therefore, that disadvantage is not really a disadvantage.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad. The Wild seems way too powerful for a multi-use flare. It basically means you get rid of all your low cards and never have any tokens in the warp. In other words, it's more powerful than the Zombie all by itself!

There are plenty of ways to tone it down:
1. After losing an encounter as a main player or ally, you may discard attack cards from your hand and retrieve one token you just lost for each.
2. You may discard a non-encounter card from your hand to gain one defensive reward. (or two)
3. During your regroup phase, you may discard one card from your hand to retrive tokens as the Conjurer does. You may not discard this card when playing this card.
4. Or use it once as you wrote it, and then give it to the Conjurer if it's in the game, otherwise discard it.
5. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the flare as too powerful. It wouldn't hurt to add you need to have ships in the warp to prevent discarding a card and retrieving 0 ships. If you have no ships in the warp you don't use the flare. If you have ships in the warp but not a low attack card, you can't use the flare. It could also just mean I have a different tolerance level on how "powerful" a flare can be, like my Wild Clown Flare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I guess I misinterpreted the flare. You must retreive *exactly* that many tokens from the warp. That makes a difference. So you can't just get rid of your 4's and 6's when you only have 1-3 ships in the warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tills
msg tools
mb
Note to Gerald Katz: you used "base" instead of "colony".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Ah. I guess I misinterpreted the flare. You must retreive *exactly* that many tokens from the warp. That makes a difference. So you can't just get rid of your 4's and 6's when you only have 1-3 ships in the warp.

No, you had it right. It is "up to", not exact. I just meant if you have 0 ships in the warp you couldn't use the flare just to discard your Attack 5 and retrieve 0 ships. That is the intent. If one needs it explicitly stated on the card that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian_Tills wrote:
Note to Gerald Katz: you used "base" instead of "colony".

I need to take a "Fantasy Flight as a second language" class. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

No, you had it right. It is "up to", not exact. I just meant if you have 0 ships in the warp you couldn't use the flare just to discard your Attack 5 and retrieve 0 ships. That is the intent. If one needs it explicitly stated on the card that's fine.

In that case, I go back to my original statement: It's too powerful - you get rid of all your low cards and never have any tokens in the warp. Any time you're in a deal situation, you refuse to deal, the other guy loses three tokens ships, and you discard a low card. Vacuum hits you, discard a low card, and you're better off than you were before. Assassin Shadow hits you, discard a low card and you're better off than you were before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, it's not that bad. Unlike Zombie you have a specific timing for when you may use your power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The power itself is fine. It's the Wild Flare that's too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.... It does kinda look like it should be a 1-shot flare, but.... It would totally paint a bull's eye on your forehead the first time you used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.