GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,488 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Carcassonne - The LDL Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne

The Game

One of the essential tile-laying games, Carcassonne made its debut successfuly and still remains one of the most played tile-laying games. Players uncover a tile and add it to the ever-growing "map" in the center of the table. Then they have the option to put one of their meeples on a terrain feature (be it a Road, a City, a Church or the Field), providing no other meeple of an opponent is already there. When closing Cities or Roads or surrounding Churches, respective player(s) get victory points. The Fields are scored at the end of the game depending on the majority of one player's meeples and the number of closed Cities that the Field is adjacent to.

I like

- Light rules, easy to explain.

- Nice and thick components that can withhold many repeated plays.

- Nicely mixes strategy with tactics - one single meeple can win or lose you your game, if you can be creative and outthink your opponents!

- Many available expansions can help you tailor the game to your taste.

I don’t like

- Really not much to not to like - maybe only some repetitiveness when playing every day (somewhat mitigated by the unique map in every play).

Type of game group

- A Gateway-game-by-design, as I would categorize it. Everyone can play it, even kids from young ages. Families, gatherings of friends, casual gaming events - these are all target audiences.

Rating: 8/10
My Bias:
Total Plays – 20
First played 2008
Last played 2010
Review date 2010-06-03

What is an LDL review?
The LDL review geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

It's a good gateway game but there can be some pretty cut-throat play. Even though it's simple, there's a lot of room for clever plays. Just don't play with more than 4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you mix in all the expansions á la Tom Vassel style, you are screwed man. Even Twilight Imperium must bow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.