GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Familiar questions & others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

Several questions regarding familiars:

1. Does Imp in the Bottle (gives Aura abbility) moves at all? It has movement 4, but maybe it has to be carry by the player and just slow ppls with 5 moves down?

2. Is it possible for familiar to jump over the pit?

3. How many familiars you can have in your possesion?

3. Enemy figures always block line of sight? Even the flying onces?

4. Do you have any solution for Frost? It's to powerfull in my opinion. Maybe players can rapair their items for 1/2 of item value in the Tamalir or smth? It's frustrating when you gain a gold armor and it brokes when OL hit you with 5 and more wnds.

5. We didn't find in the manual - if your campain level changes from Copper to Silver players can still add one black dice for Exhaust or already silver one?

Thanks for answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
1. The imp moves on his own.

2. Yes.

3. As many as you have the skills and items for.

4. Frost is easily avoided by un-equipping the items you don't want to lose until your frost tokens are gone. There's also only a 1-in-6 chance that it triggers if your armor takes damage or your sword swings. It's annoying, but not too powerful, and provides the hero suffering it with the choice to take the risk or go ahead and make himself temporarily weaker.

5. Each fatigue spent is a single die or die upgrade, no matter what campaign level you're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd 3. Yes, even the flying ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
1. The imp moves on his own.

2. Yes.

2. No.
DJitD pg14
A familiar cannot carry any items or perform any movement actions unless its description states otherwise
Jumping is a movement action as seen on pg16.

Besides which, why would you need to?
Familiars don't suffer wounds, so falling in a pit doesn't hurt them. Familiars also move spaces equal to their speed, rather than use MP, so ignore the effect of getting out of a pit. (This is evidenced by the fact that Skye does not need 'fly' and the general inability to do movement actions (which cost MP), but getting movement actions 'for free' if they are specifically allowed by that familiar's description). So your familiar, instead of jumping over the pit for 3MP as your hero does, simply shuffles past it for 2 speed, ignoring it entirely.

Quote:
3. As many as you have the skills and items for.

4. Frost is easily avoided by un-equipping the items you don't want to lose until your frost tokens are gone. There's also only a 1-in-6 chance that it triggers if your armor takes damage or your sword swings. It's annoying, but not too powerful, and provides the hero suffering it with the choice to take the risk or go ahead and make himself temporarily weaker.

5. Each fatigue spent is a single die or die upgrade, no matter what campaign level you're on.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Familiars also move spaces equal to their speed, rather than use MP, so ignore the effect of getting out of a pit. (This is evidenced by the fact that Skye does not need 'fly' and the general inability to do movement actions (which cost MP), but getting movement actions 'for free' if they are specifically allowed by that familiar's description). So your familiar, instead of jumping over the pit for 3MP as your hero does, simply shuffles past it for 2 speed, ignoring it entirely.

Wait, what? "You may move X spaces" is the language the game always uses for handing out movement points; that's what's in the hero actions (Advance, Run, etc.), and also in Tahlia's ability, which was clarified as being movement points in the GLoAQ. I seem to recall Skye having Fly in the updated version of the rulebook, but even if I'm wrong about that, Sharr Brightwing and the Shadow Soul both definitely have it (AoD p.8).

And while jumping over a pit is a movement action, climbing out of one is just a movement with increased cost, so a familiar can throw itself into a pit (1 MP) and then climb out the other side (2 MP), which is still no worse than jumping it (and is better in the case of multi-space pits), since they don't need to worry about the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
corbon wrote:
Familiars also move spaces equal to their speed, rather than use MP, so ignore the effect of getting out of a pit. (This is evidenced by the fact that Skye does not need 'fly' and the general inability to do movement actions (which cost MP), but getting movement actions 'for free' if they are specifically allowed by that familiar's description). So your familiar, instead of jumping over the pit for 3MP as your hero does, simply shuffles past it for 2 speed, ignoring it entirely.

Wait, what? "You may move X spaces" is the language the game always uses for handing out movement points; that's what's in the hero actions (Advance, Run, etc.), and also in Tahlia's ability, which was clarified as being movement points in the GLoAQ. I seem to recall Skye having Fly in the updated version of the rulebook, but even if I'm wrong about that, Sharr Brightwing and the Shadow Soul both definitely have it (AoD p.8).

Sure, it is the language the game always uses. However, unlike heroes and monsters, the 'move spaces equal to your speed' isn't directly contradicted elsewhere. And given that familiars aren't allowed to use movement actions there isn't any real need for them to use the whole MP system. Skye has been given fly by the FAQ (so I was wrong there) but the way he wasn't given fly initially is just another indication to me that it wasn't necessary because he can do his thing anyway, even without Fly just because he is a familiar.

OTOH Mata and Kata must spend an MP to pass an item along (which I mistakenly thought was free), so I was wrong.

Familiars do use the MP system the same as everyone else, sorry.

Quote:
And while jumping over a pit is a movement action, climbing out of one is just a movement with increased cost, so a familiar can throw itself into a pit (1 MP) and then climb out the other side (2 MP), which is still no worse than jumping it (and is better in the case of multi-space pits), since they don't need to worry about the damage.

Err, yes, that was my point. Jumping is unnecessary since a familiar can do equally as well or better by simply walking through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.