GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,351 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » General

Subject: Robot Easier to Beat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As there are no available AI versions of The Brink of War at the moment, I found myself playing the solo robot game the other night.

Surprisingly, I found myself winning 3 of the 4 games on Easy. This is a surprise because the ratio is usually in the opposite direction. I did play a new world against an old world (I assume the robot with the new worlds are tougher).

While the Prestige/Search is a bonus the robot can't use properly, it seemed that the human ability to purposefully pursue prestige swung things my way - I usually grabbed Prestige Leader and held it for most of the games.

Anyone else have similar (or dissimilar) experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same when I first got BoW. The robot seemed easier to beat on Normal but then I played on Hard and it was...well, hard again. Then I got frustrated by the huge random swings in the solo game and stopped playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
As there are no available AI versions of The Brink of War at the moment, I found myself playing the solo robot game the other night.

Surprisingly, I found myself winning 3 of the 4 games on Easy. This is a surprise because the ratio is usually in the opposite direction. I did play a new world against an old world (I assume the robot with the new worlds are tougher).

While the Prestige/Search is a bonus the robot can't use properly, it seemed that the human ability to purposefully pursue prestige swung things my way - I usually grabbed Prestige Leader and held it for most of the games.

Anyone else have similar (or dissimilar) experiences?

That was a quick Milsims delivery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find the BoW robot easier to beat (though my statistics are still weak). So far I won 6 out of 7 games (86%) against the BoW hard robot, compared to 25/62 (40%) against the RvI hard robot. I'd like to think I'm just getting better (win rate on last 10 games with RvI hard robot was 7/10), but I feel that the more likely explanation is that prestige is giving the human an edge. On 2-3 of the 6 I won with the BoW hard robot I won on points generated by being prestige leader through most of the game. Of course, if I chose not to get prestige lead then maybe I would have made the same points some other way... That's what balance is. So it's difficult to say for sure whether prestige was really the deciding factor. But what I can say is that the robot doesn't care if you are prestige leader or not, while a human does. An early prestige point or two will very often make and keep you prestige leader against the robot, while humans would rarely let you get away with that. So, getting an early prestige point or two that makes you prestige leader seems a much stronger play against the robot than against a human. I believe I was prestige leader with only a few prestige points through most of the 6 games that I won, and the one that I lost was the one in which the robot was prestige leader (it had the ART starting world and generated a ton of prestige). But again, beware of small number statistics...

PS I would love for Wei-Hwa to comment on the development and balance of the robot prestige rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
So far I won 6 out of 7 games (86%) against the BoW hard robot, compared to 25/62 (40%) against the RvI hard robot.

You've taken the lead for record of Best winrate, hard (previously 27%, 38-101). Did you play the Hard robot in TGS? If so, what was your win/loss record?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:

I cracked the day after seeing it in the store window - I cancelled the Milsims delivery and picked it up for Mind Games for a $10 more. I've played it 20 times since then (3 days ago?), so I consider it money well spent.

rbelikov wrote:
So, getting an early prestige point or two that makes you prestige leader seems a much stronger play against the robot than against a human.

True from my limited experience. I forgot to use the Prestige/Search in three of my 4 games, but anticipate believe being able to double-develop matching 6-costs would also boost your score in a way the robot can't.

rbelikov wrote:
PS I would love for Wei-Hwa to comment on the development and balance of the robot prestige rules!

Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm the only one then that's actually finding the robot harder to beat with the new prestige rules and cards from BoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
crushedguava wrote:

I cracked the day after seeing it in the store window - I cancelled the Milsims delivery and picked it up for Mind Games for a $10 more. I've played it 20 times since then (3 days ago?), so I consider it money well spent.

20 times!

I managed to convince some friends to take some time off studying and squeeze in 5 games tonight. Very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

You've taken the lead for record of Best winrate, hard (previously 27%, 38-101). Did you play the Hard robot in TGS? If so, what was your win/loss record?

Here are my complete lifetime solo stats:

TGS:
easy: 2/10
medium: 11/18
hard: 8/29

RvI:
hard: 25/62

BoW:
hard: 6/7

All of these are in chronological order, starting back when I was a wide-eyed newb, so the win rate keeps rising. A more accurate representation of my current win rate is to take, say, the 20 most recent games - 7 BoW and 13 RvI - for which I'm 14/20. However, I suspect that even this is by far not the best win rate against the hard robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crushedguava wrote:
I managed to convince some friends to take some time off studying and squeeze in 5 games tonight. Very fun.

So much for the job hunting and exams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.