Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: National Games Week rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mostly futile attempts to find some opponents, I have agreed to demo some games this Saturday as part of the events held at my local game shop. I've chosen fairly light games that are easy to teach. What do you think of my choices?

1. David and Goliath.
I enjoy this game, can't quite figure out what a good hand is though.

2. San Juan
Lighter than Puerto Rico, and much more fun. No sitting and waiting as somebody stares at the board for ten minutes.

3. Bohnanza
Great with a big crowd, we'll see if a big crowd forms.

4. Gobblet
Great little 2 player abstract game.

5. Richochet Robot
Is this really a game? I love it anyways.

6. Fluxx
Not my choice, but it seems to be fairly popular.

7. I'm bring one more and here is an opportunity for you to give me your opinion. I've got Buyword, Blue Moon, I'm the Boss, Express, Basari, Power Grid, Cthulhu 500, Palabra, or Attika.
Any other suggestions would be great, BUT, the game must be widely available. I don't want to demo a game that they couldn't go buy in the shop.

Anybody near Oklahoma City this Saturday, drop by Game HQ and play some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demoing games
I think you want to stick with the lighter games like the others you mentioned. So, Power Grid is probably out. Blue Moon might appeal to the CCG players and wannabe CCG players who are put off by the collectible/financial aspect. I haven't played Basari, but I've heard good things. Attika is a great game, but for some reason I've seen players stumble trying to "get" it. I think I'm the Boss may be unnecessary if you're doing Bohnanza, I'd try to have games as different as possible to present a broad spectrum of game types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go with "Buy Word" as it is Games Magazine "Game of the Year".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day down in South OKC, I must admit. cool

I was there demo-ing Blokus (got stomped...VERY unusual for me in that game), Wallenstein (again, got stomped...I think I only had 4 countries at game end), and Goa (didn't play, just taught/refereed/banker-ed).

Also played David and Goliath (one hand, won it)
Ricochet Robot (did I end up tying with you on that one? I know it came down to the last token...was that my ridiculous 21 bid?)
Gobblet (won...quite interesting game there...may have to get my own)

But more importantly, I met some great people, had a great time.

Overall, I think ~60 ppl or so showed up. Pretty good attendance, as the game room was packed all day. No empty seats at all, and only a half-dozen or so were playing MtG and similar. The rest...all enjoying some great boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.