GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Wisdom Teeth removal. Post-op depression. Am I alone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So last week finally got my wisdom teeth yanked/gouged/hacked/detonated/destroyed, etc. All went well. It's been 6 days. I'm still having some pain in 1 area (where I had 1 impacted tooth). cry

Syringing stirs up more pain. Eventually it subsides. in the meantime i feel like banging my head on the wall relentlessly.

Am I alone?

I'm now wondering why I had them removed (3 were in..1 was impacted..but all caused issues a few times a year).

I've only met 1 other person who's had a rough time on the recovery.

Tell me I'm not alone.

zombie

I feel better now that I've vented to Chit Chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not. My wife had a similar experience a few years ago. Although I've known some people that didn't seemed to be phased by it at all. Depends on the person I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My recovery went fairly easy. The worst part was that the dentist's drill overheated during removal and burned my face. He gave me some cream (silvadene I think it was called?) and it healed fairly fast.

But the funny thing is that as I came to I was still pretty high from all the valium I'd been given. When I saw my face in a mirror, I started swearing endlessly about it. My mother was there, and was horrified, kept telling me "stop that! Sshhhh!!! Be quieter!" But I was too high to care so I kept shouting out "Damn that *#@!$*@# dentist burned my *@!#$#@ face..." I'm sure the people in his waiting room heard me, and I wonder what the receptionist said.

But my mouth was fine, it hurt for about a day and that was that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've had all of mine out. I didn't have any problems with it, but I know a lot of people who did. You're not an unusual case.

The pain will go away soon, and in the long run you'll be glad you did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
I've never had to get mine out thankfully. My orthodontist told me that that one pair never grew in and the other pair would not cause any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's my horror story. My top 2 were out--horizontally, so they were extracted by my dentist.

My bottom 2 were impacted and I went to the oral surgeon my dentist recommended.

First off, I chose local anesthesia because it was only 2 teeth. I am very glad I did as the oral surgeon started rubbing up against my arm while working on me!!!!! gulpyuk I pulled my arm in close to my side for the remainder of the surgery.

He also seemed to take an awfully long time with one of the teeth, whereas the other one seemed to go more smoothly. (more on this later).

I was only able to tolerate 2 pain pills before I began throwing them up, so I was stuck with pain and Extra-Strength Tylenol round the clock for my pain from practically the day of the surgery.

My neck and chin ended up with bruising that remained several weeks until it faded to yellow and was finally gone.

One gum/side of my mouth was completely without feeling (the tooth that took so long) for a very long time (years I would say). When I mentioned this to my dentist on my next appointment he reviewed the x-rays and showed me that that wisdom tooth's roots were twisted around the nerve in my gum and would have been very difficult to remove. He actually said: "He shouldn't have tried to remove that one." !!! Oh but he did, by breaking the tooth in pieces and removing it that way.

The gum/side without feeling was actually extra sensitive when I had to have cleanings, etc. The feeling gradually came back, but never 100%.

Grrrrr.........I am not fond of these memories!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had two of mine out, but it was years ago, so I don't really remember that much. The worst part was not being able to eat solid food for a while. I've read that the inability to chew can negatively affect your mental health, for what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
First off, I chose local anesthesia because it was only 2 teeth. I am very glad I did as the oral surgeon started rubbing up against my arm while working on me!!!!! gulpyuk I pulled my arm in close to my side for the remainder of the surgery.

Why would making contact with your arm be so repulsive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any unusual problems with mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be the anesthesia, and being in pain can cause depression as well. Ask your doctor is it persists. No sense suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wisdom teeth removal story.

I was in boot camp and there were about 15 of us scheduled to have them removed. So, I'm in the chair and the dentist is getting ready to yank em out when we heard this *screaming*. Loud, "oh my god, i'm gonna die" screaming.

It sounded like they were ripping this guy's toes off with a pliers.

The dentist apologized and really it wasn't that bad. Even if it was, I don't think I would have screamed like that. Never figured out who it was, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had all four done at once. So let's forget I couldn't eat solids for two weeks (pizza was the first thing I had), and that my face looked like a bruised pear for the next month and a half.

The dental surgeon thought that there may have been room for one of the wisdom teeth (top right) if he removed the molar before it. He tells me this after the surgery. What he forgot to mention was that he didn't stitch the gap.

So two nights after being released, being at home in bed, trying to sleep through the pain and being just short of semi-quasi lucid the wound, where that molar was removed, busts and begins to bleed. But in the state I was in I had no idea, all I felt was like this sack of liquid filling up in my mouth and bursting and this repeating all night. What woke me from my stupor was the nausea from all the blood I had swallowed.

Once I woke and switched the light on, there was blood all over my bed and person. It was liked I had been the ritual sacrifice for some loony dental cult.

I called his emergency number at 3am and at 430am he called back saying to come in. He sheepishly stitched up wound.

But there is more! I have a reminder of my memories because I have a constant very load jaw click which, you can imagine is such a turn on when you are a teenager making out and the wisdom tooth that was supposed to slot right in? It is sticking out at 90 degrees.

But what got me through all this. My mates who would come round nearly everyday and try and make me laugh. I love those bastards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was around 18 or so. They gassed me during the procedure so I don't remember riding home afterwards. The first thing I remember was waking up on the couch at home a few hours later.

The remainder of the first day was awesome. Was so doped up on pain killers I didn't feel anything, was high as a kite. The next day was terrible. Everything started to feel sore, changing the gauze or cotton balls or whatever that were packed in the back of my mouth was messy and gross. The next day, pain started going away, things stopped bleeding, and I was all good in another day.

Not the most fun I ever had, but not the worst experience in my life either.

I'd give it:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

You are kidding, right Lee? He was standing and his groin was at the level of my arm/the armrest. Yes, he was rubbing his penis against my arm!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Leezer wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

You are kidding, right Lee? He was standing and his groin was at the level of my arm/the armrest. Yes, he was rubbing his penis against my arm!!!
What Lee probably doesn't realize is that he was wearing no pants at the time.

(Edit: MMB, I'm not trying to make light of what was an uncomfortable situation for you! Well, maybe I am, but not because I thought you were being silly - when a barber presses their crotch against my elbow, I pull it in. Whether they mean anything by it or not, it's not something I want to have going on. But the no pants bit popped into my head, and this being chit chat, that meant it had to come straight out my keyboard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
What Lee probably doesn't realize is that he was wearing no pants at the time.

//shudders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow..ok..guess mine wasn't that bad. Some evil stories out there. hehe. I did quit taking the oxycodine they gave me. Man, it killed the pain but I was loopy and nauseated and my son kept wavering in front of me (he's 18 months old). hehe.

They didn't give me my teeth though. I took pics of it on my phone (well, my wife did). Need to upload those to chit chat I guess.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Leezer wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Oh. I thought he was sitting. Yes, that is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.