GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Marko Komlenić
Croatia
flag msg tools
So,I am looking for a game to match the following criteria:

1. Replayability. Very important factor.
2. Complexity - short to medium learning curve
3. No setups which last forever
4. Low to medium luck factor (little flexible on this one).
5. Beautiful and enjoyable game components.
6. Preferably, more than one mechanic (for example, dice rolling, deployment, cards etc.)
7. Deeper strategy

I must emphasize that I am a HUGE fan of Carcassone - I am not sure if that game has it all, but it is exactly to my liking. I have yet to play a game which surpasses it!

I was considering Stone age and War of the ring, but am not sure of the choices.

Thank you in advance for your time for reading this, and of course, for any advices given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Stone Age fits your cirteria quite good.

If an abstract 2-player game is ok, have a look at PÜNCT.

Further i´d recommend The Bridges of Shangri-La.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is fun, so is San Juan or Caylus Magna Carta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I agree... do try Stone Age. Very likely a good choice for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Stone Age & never miss a chance to recommend it

but I'm wondering if Puerto Rico isn't the better fit for the factors you list. (also the obvious elephant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Looker
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
More agreeing with your Stone Age pick, but I'll raise you a Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komle wrote:
So,I am looking for a game to match the following criteria:

1. Replayability. Very important factor.
2. Complexity - short to medium learning curve
3. No setups which last forever
4. Low to medium luck factor (little flexible on this one).
5. Beautiful and enjoyable game components.
6. Preferably, more than one mechanic (for example, dice rolling, deployment, cards etc.)
7. Deeper strategy

I must emphasize that I am a HUGE fan of Carcassone - I am not sure if that game has it all, but it is exactly to my liking. I have yet to play a game which surpasses it!

I was considering Stone age and War of the ring, but am not sure of the choices.

Thank you in advance for your time for reading this, and of course, for any advices given.

How many players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter

Yup, that's the one for you.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

The Battle for Hill 218

Ingenious

Biblios

Maybe not all the best-looking games, but they deliver in every other area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are worth looking into:

Fjords 2 Player game with nice bits and area control. Is quite Carc-like
Blue Moon City Rebuilt a destroyed city with beautiful tiles and fun gameplay.
Arkadia another fantastic looking game with deep strategy and interesting gameplay.
Reef Encounter This is a fantastic game about corals battling it out for supremacy of the seas! great components and it is the deepest strategy of those I have listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the 18XX games fit this bill, although #5 might be a bit iffy to some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Amamzonas
- Around the World in 80 Days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cyclades fits the bill very well:

Replayability. : very good - there are cards that change the flow of the game every time - no two games are the same

2. Complexity - this game is very easy to learn, you will know what to do after several turns - but there are also a good amount of choices to make

3. No setups which last forever: very easy set up - place some troops and ships on the board and youre about ready to play

4. Low to medium luck factor: there is randomness in how the cards come up, and the battles are fought with dice, which adds some luck to the game - you may want to read some reviews.

5. Beautiful and enjoyable game components: i can honestly say that this is the most beautiful game i have played - well done bits - lots of thought and time went into the design for sure - its a treat to play

6. Preferably, more than one mechanic : game has a an auction mechanic, a dice-battle mechanic, mechanics for moving ships and troops, etc.

7. Deeper strategy: totally - and different strategies you can adopt to win the game.

This game is nothing like carc, but i think you may like it. It is confrontational, with battles and all, but i wasnt sure from your post if that was okay with you.

have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in response to your choice of WotR:

1. Yes, WotR is highly replayable--every game could be a great session report.
2. Um, well, maybe not. I would say it's probably med. to high complexity. There's alot of different game mechanics that have a learning curve and the rule book is 30-some pages.
3. Again, well, maybe. I can set up the game in 7-8 minutes but it's pretty complicated with 100 or so pieces to set up--especially for the first time.
4. Yes, there is some luck (dice rolling, card pulling), but almost always good strategy can mitigate this.
5. Probably not, the plastic pieces are cool, but I wouldn't call them beautiful. Same for the board and cards--probably not beautiful. Now the Collector's Edition--well that is beautiful (or at least what I can tell).
6. Yes, lots and lots of great game mechanics.
7. Yes, the strategy is incredible--this onion might not have an end to it.

WotR is one of my very favorite games but it might not be for everybody. If you can get through the complexity and set up time, it sounds like this game might be for you. Oh, number of players is important. WotR plays best with 2 (and ok with 3 or 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra seems to fit your list reasonably well, especially if you love Carc, as there is tile laying plus other stuff. It is not especially deep, though, and there is some luck with the draw of the cards and what tiles become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komle wrote:

Although I love War of the Ring, it's a poor fit for the criteria you've given. I don't think it's your kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just became a geek buddy. I also love Carcassonne, and feel that each factor you stated is critical to my game selections. Unfortunately, I seldom hit the mark.

Taluva may be the game you are looking for. It features Tile Placement like Carcassonne, but the tiles may stack on each other. It's definitely more strategic than Carcassonne, and more beautiful too. It plays 2 to 4 players, and has more of an abstract feel than Carcassonne. Also there is more "take that" in Taluva as well. Virtually no setup required.

If you are looking for a good 2-player game, my best suggestion would be Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. Beautiful game, simple to setup and play... similar mechanics to Stratego, but more elegant, and with a great theme. This is the best of the Lord or the Rings games in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railroad Tycoon - the remake is called Railways of the World. Is is a really amazingly simple but yet a deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, and possibly Livingstone. Kingsburg, although I'm not sure about the components being beautiful. You might also like Goldland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slogosh wrote:
Cyclades fits the bill very well:

Replayability. : very good - there are cards that change the flow of the game every time - no two games are the same

2. Complexity - this game is very easy to learn, you will know what to do after several turns - but there are also a good amount of choices to make

3. No setups which last forever: very easy set up - place some troops and ships on the board and youre about ready to play

4. Low to medium luck factor: there is randomness in how the cards come up, and the battles are fought with dice, which adds some luck to the game - you may want to read some reviews.

5. Beautiful and enjoyable game components: i can honestly say that this is the most beautiful game i have played - well done bits - lots of thought and time went into the design for sure - its a treat to play

6. Preferably, more than one mechanic : game has a an auction mechanic, a dice-battle mechanic, mechanics for moving ships and troops, etc.

7. Deeper strategy: totally - and different strategies you can adopt to win the game.

This game is nothing like carc, but i think you may like it. It is confrontational, with battles and all, but i wasnt sure from your post if that was okay with you.

have fun!

I second this.

Best game in 2009 in my opinion!

Plays very well 2-5 players and is relatively short (2 hours MAX).

BUY THIS NOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.