GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,366 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Alhambra» Forums » General

Subject: Anniversary Edition box insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...sucks.

It has the same problem as the original insert for Goa. The plastic insert has a "well" for the board, however, the board is slightly too large to fit in its intended well. To make matters worse, the board is slightly too small to fit on top of the edges around the well! This results in one or two corners of the board angling down into the well, while the rest sits on top of the edges. Ultimately, it damages the corners of the board.

This is what happened with my copy of Goa, and that game is responsible for breaking my need to keep every insert. Since then, I don't hesitate to pitch inserts that don't work perfectly. It looks like this one in Alhambra will be the next to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a shame. The original Alhambra insert was perfect. Every piece had a place, it all fit snugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problems with this edition don't come from the insert but the box size and the rulebook. The box is the same size as a typycal Queen game, I understand it for games such as Shogun or Thebes because more space is needed (for the tower for example), but for Alhambra a typical euro box would be sufficient (i.e. TtR, Catan, PR, etc).

The rulebook not only is big in size but comes with all languages translations in the same booklet making impossible to separate those you don't need as in Shogun (sorry but I don't intend to study flemish or french). Also I realize this edition rules are misleading for people (me included) who don't own the older edition. For instance, I needed to read the original rules because some examples are missing (on-foot rule ilustration is missing) and one ilustration shows some diamonds instead of the buildings' names (then I read a blog here saying that's from the first German edition).

Otherwise a gorgeous edition, particularily the board art which is so thematic and beautiful indeed. Just receive my copy so I can't wait for this Sunday session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I realized there are many expansions and bought my first one (Alhambra: The City Gates) I must recognize the big size box from this edition is actually very helpful and convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
...sucks.

It has the same problem as the original insert for Goa. The plastic insert has a "well" for the board, however, the board is slightly too large to fit in its intended well. To make matters worse, the board is slightly too small to fit on top of the edges around the well! This results in one or two corners of the board angling down into the well, while the rest sits on top of the edges. Ultimately, it damages the corners of the board.

This is what happened with my copy of Goa, and that game is responsible for breaking my need to keep every insert. Since then, I don't hesitate to pitch inserts that don't work perfectly. It looks like this one in Alhambra will be the next to go.
I bought a used copy and was immediately wondering if the box included the wrong insert or something. Glad to see I am not the only one who was surprised by this.

I don't understand why they made a new insert for the Anniversary edition, and that it doesn't fit the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.