Subject: This game is more than you think rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tozser
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
This game is new, yes, but it’s also NEW. Thieves Guild isn't just a repackage of every other theme played out before with other games. There are elements to this game and its strategy that I haven't seen anywhere else before -- and THATS exciting. People tend to find similarities with other games (Games Workshops Talisman seems to be mentioned as relative) but you'll find Thieves Guild to be similar to other products only on first glance. It’s easy to learn because the rules are simple, but the strategic possibilities that the game possesses run very deep. It’s almost bizarre how well-put-together Thieves Guild is. Simply put, this game is fun. Its fun to look at (the art is wicked - the board looks almost 3D), its fun to play (everybody who plays it wants to play again), its fun even just watching others get worked up about it. I’ve seen Thieves Guild turn-on adults who don’t game, kids who only like Xbox, and girls who are “too gentle for a boys’ game”. Everyone digs it. You will too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:This game is more than you think
You should have at least mentioned, in passing, you're the designer.

After all, that might have a wee bit of impact on your objectivity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Leigh
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel (#7104),

Hear hear!

That's what initially is keeping me at bay from buying this game. I got a message from Conan (who posted a TRIPLE PHAT SUPERLATIVE review of this game on this site). He gave me a hard sell.

Selling games is like selling books. A guy doesn't walk into the bookstore unless he reads and he wants to buy a book. The full-court press may work for long distance phone plans or diet pills, but doesn't work as well with games in my opinion.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy this game. I'm saying that I would rather reserve judgment on a game's merit until I see some objective opinions (unsolicited by a designer or his friends).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had money sitting in my paypal account, so I bought it anyway. I'll try to post a review if and when I get around to playing it. I've already got 2-3 other games still in shrink wrap I have yet to play .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuzzy Hero
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
hackryder (#7106)

No "hard sell" intended. ??? I loved the game from jump, easy to learn, fast paced, far from boring ect. ect. ect. I had the resources to pick up mulitple copies and get some signed ones knowing that this game is gonna be good. Similar to "Supremecy" I bought some commodities at a great price with the intention to profit from my investment when the time was right.
As for books, phone plans or diet pills. Send me a message and I can give you an objective opinion on the first two...diet pills...um just do the Jared Diet I guess
Again I apologize for the "full court press". I don't sell games, just excited about this one. I also have a bunch of dust collecting Hero Clix up for grabs if you want those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Leigh
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan_the_Librarian (#7129),

I apologize if my words seemed curt - it wasn't a personal attack on your integrity... it's just that I'm speaking from experience.

And given the price of games these days, I want to insure that I'm reading unbiased opinions on these boards if I'm interested in a game. At the moment, I am interested in this one. Thanks for your candor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tozser
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
ckessel (#7104),

You're right, I should have indicated in my comment that I am the co-designer. I didn't use an alias when posting my comment as that would have been disingenuous. Just as you noticed my name as designer, I assumed others would too. Also note, my comments were entered into the "Random Thoughts/Comments", as opposed to a rated "Review", again because that would have been disingenuous. Even still, I should have mentioned it as you say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tozser (#7137),

Hey, If i was the designer, I would have posted a review under a fake name. So Hats off to you .

Im interested in this game as well. I just JUST found it now, by accident, while looking for (get this) advanced rules for Fireball Island. I have no idea how I came across Thieves Guild. ???

Anywho, thinkin of getting it. Just need to find a retialer to take paypal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Patton
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tozser (#7095), nice game ... 8 out of 10 IMHO

Designer or not ... and all the discord aside ... my son and I played our 1st game tonight and we really enjoyed the game. As an "old time gamer" who grew up on AH and all the small cardboard squares et al ... I found this a refreshing "flash back" with all the fiddley bits and pieces ... I do have "Chessex trays" ... so I can keep the counters "in the Master tray" ... about the game play ... my son and his Bounty Hunters (BH) were hard to avoid in the city ... I played the Human Thieves ... I found the limit of only 1 magic item at a time a real bother ... I am use to "powering up" and then go looking for the easy kill ... so in game design ... it is not a "bother" but tends to balance the play a lot more than I first felt ... I was not very successful in sacking the shops ... and that hurt ... and when it came to combat ... my thieves did not fair very well ... we only played until the BHs got 50 coins (dinner was ready and we had to stop) ... I look forward to more game with more players ... so for my 2 cents ... the game designer was correct ... there is a lot more then is first evident in this game ... get a copy ... you will not be disappointed. My rating ... a solid 8 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The game is ok, I've played 2-3 times and I can see there's a bit more depth.

The biggest single flaw I've found is the black market. T here's no reason to buy anything other than poison (I think it was poison, the cheapest thing). Why? Because it has the highest possible payout and the lowest possible cost. Spend 1 gold to get 3-4 layer. And if you get captured, the bounty hunters don't get much as poison isn't worth much.

If we played more, I'd rework the gold/silver/poison costs to make poison low risk-low return, silver moderate-moderate, and gold high-high, that way there really was some reason to think about what to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I should clarify "highest possible payout", I should say highest possible profit. Actually, I think all 3 items have a max profit of $3, which was my point. If the best possible profit is always the same, might as well use the cheapest possible item to make that profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.