GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How were you introduced to Euro games and BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How did you first find out about BGG?
A web link from a game related site
A friend recommended it
A web search for a particular game
A member of a games group taught me THE WAY
Other... please specify
      146 answers
Poll created by Critical Mass
Poll
How were you introduced to euros?
A friend introduced me to a particular game
I attended a games group meeting where there were euros
I stumbled onto a website that promoted euros
I read about euro games through printed
I heard about euro games through electronic media
I found some new and different games in a FLGS
I first saw euro games at a convention
Other...please specify
      140 answers
Poll created by Critical Mass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was calling a FLGS about Axis and Allies games, and he mentioned BGG.

I found out about Euro games via BGG. And then the addiction began.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing Amazon.co.uk for a puzzle that I once had. I found the puzzle, but also found the 'Other Customers Purchased...' section on that page. I saw Carcassonne in this section, thought it looked interesting and clicked on the link. I bought the game and shortly after found BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In a shameless attempt at thumb-gathering from folks with the same experience:

I bought Settlers of Catan at a FLGS without knowing anything about it. The family loved it. After a while, I wondered if there was anything similar out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Other for me, I've always played boardgames from a young age, so there was never really a significant "discovery" of euros, I'd played civilisation a few years before I played settlers of catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Games Magazine -> Funagain Games -> BoardGameGeek

2) To paraphrase a former U.S. president: it depends on what the meaning of the word "euro" is. Way back in the '80s, I played mostly RPGs, but also some board games including (but not limited to) Diplomacy, Kingmaker, and Talisman. My board gaming subsided until the '00s, when I joined a group that had a monthly Games Night. Amongst the party/word games were a few games outside those categories, some of which could be classified as eurogames. That led eventually to CABS, and many, many eurogames and board games of other sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was searching for gaming stores close to my brothers during the holidays to find Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot and stumbled across BGG.

A month later a friend brought over Catan to play one night and between the two games, I was hooked. My collection has been gradually growing ever since.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the mid-1990's. My then-girlfriend's sister's boyfriend (how's that for a link) was German, and as a birthday present always gave us a game. First he came with Labyrinth, then Scotland Yard, then Catan, then a Settler's expansion. I got one or two more games which I cannot remember, as I don't have them anymore. Strangely, while I liked these games, I did not get into the habit of seeking out more (probably because there were very few stores in my country which supplied them). Later on I went for a five-week research visit to Canada. I worked at the University of Alberta, and as there is nothing really interesting to do in Edmonton I also worked on weekends. The first Saturday afternoon I was there, at one o'clock suddenly lots of people entered and asked if I was interested in joining some games. I played Carcassonne, Frank's Zoo, Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, and several more games. As I had never seen these games at home, I went into a boardgame shop there and packed an extra suitcase. The rest is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across the term "euro/euro games" on BGG, checked what it meant, knew I would want as little as possible to do with them.

First three bullet-points are just shake , I don't want games without some/all of those in bundles:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eurogame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea. I don't know how I ended up here. May be a search for a game or perhaps a forum link or someone told me... No clue.

Regarding euros: I played them before they were called that way, I grew up with boardgames so you could say my parents brought me to euro games. Or my brother did since I played those with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: Aldie mailed me about the site.
Q2: As a European I have played them all my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled onto a TV documentary about the UK carrom championships and was intrigued by the game. A google search led me to BGG and a whole new world opened up (I had always loved boardgames but had no idea about euros). Christmas and my daughter's birthday were coming up so I took a punt on buying Carcassonne and Metro from an on-line store and by chance came across Settlers in the local Borders. Then there was no turning back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovered BGG while searching for Lovecraft releated info on the net.

As a Lovecraft fan I discovered the Boardgame Arkham Horror, ordered from Gameslore which turned out to be in the same Town as me so saved some money on delivery by picking it up direct. Was then invited to Thursday games night and Euro Games with the Gameslore guys - addiction started.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
1) Games Magazine -> Funagain Games -> BoardGameGeek

Me, too. The Games 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2007, I'm not sure where on the internet I saw it but I saw 1960: The Making of the President and it really intrigued me. I did a google search and of course hit BGG. In reading some reviews I saw references to Twilight Struggle and that looked even better. I ordered both off ebay and told my buddy we'd stop the computer games for a while and check out some board games like we did pre 1984. It was a big hit. Now those maybe aren't pure Euros so those I got into directly from reading BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been a fan of games in general my whole life, cards, board, RPG, video. At the time I was introduced to euro's I was finishing up my CCG phase. I was a big fan of Deciphers StarWars CCG but struggled with the lack of people to play against. I was going to tourneys to get my fix but that was a drag. Then a co-worker turned me on to Carcassone during a trip to Seoul. I loved the fact that I didn't have to rely on the other player having the same cards as me and was instantly hooked.

Oh, and BGG, I found while searching for information on a couple of my favorite games as a kid. Clean Water and Which Witch. Would love to get my hands on them again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out about Euro's from my sister-in-law who wanted to play Ticket To Ride. I then went to my FLGS to buy myself a copy and started browsing games every time I stopped at the mall. I then got Bang!, Powergrid, and saw Moto Grand Prix.

While trying to read reviews for Moto Grand Prix I found a website that linked to this site which had a review comparing MGP to Formula D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was working in an FLGS(Wargames West) in college in the mid 90's. Which was one of the biggest distros in the country at the time. I was charged to run a demo of this game for a week from Mayfair called Settlers of Catan. I still have that copy. I found BGG through being on Yahoo Group, Spielfrieks in around 2000 I guess when it was launched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
... And then the addiction began.

Sounds like one of those 'and that's how the fight started' jokes..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played and like boardgames from the time that I was a kid (so long ago, that the entire world was in black and white). I was interested in finding new ways to evaluate the players on my internet basketball team. I was investigating Harmonic Mean when I stumbled across Mikko Saari's website and discovered that the games that I had played when I was younger were no longer state-of-the-art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill C.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found out about Eurogames through my sister via Bohnanza and Settlers of Catan, which expanded to Puerto Rico, Modern Art, Tikal, and others. She also has browsed BGG for years-- but she found out about Eurogames from her college friends. She's done all the major board game purchases from online in my family, although lately I've also spent money on several board games of my own that I've wanted to try.

Probably I was about fifteen when I played my first Eurogame? I don't know. Games have always been pretty prominent in our family and Scotland Yard helped pave the way too.

I only hope to introduce a lot more people to boardgaming when I transfer to a bigger university this fall! :-) I'll probably buy a lot more games when/if I have more money to spend on such things due to her influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Euro Inro:] I picked up a used copy of Settlers of Catan and misplaced the rulebook, so I had to [BGG Inro:] do a search on the web for a copy and it led me to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Icehouse -> Catan -> Here

I have absolutely no recollection of where or how I came across the Icehouse pieces in the first place, but my first ever game order was Icetowers + the remaining 6 color stashes needed for the full set.

After getting Icehouse, I found Catan; again, no recollection how. I think some random searching of "games like Catan" brought me here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was googling Fortress America. I'd been curious if there were any fan sites for it out there, and one of the first hits that came up was for BGG.

I'd never even heard of the term "Eurogame" until I came to this site. I'd had the opportunity to play Settlers of Cataan (one of the few such games that I actually enjoy a little) once or twice back when it first came out, but no one used the term Euro, and my boardgame interests move in different directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the Wired Magazine article about Klaus Teuber and Settlers of Catan and, one night, out with friends for dinner, discussing what we might do after dinner, I ran into a Barnes & Noble and picked up a copy.

We punched and read rules and played (Note: that was the first and last time I subjected people to "let's read the rules and figure this out together" gaming) and when I Googled "Settlers of Catan" to learn more, I found Boardgamegeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.