Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Game Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you look for in a game review at BGG? I like moderate length reviews that provide enough information to give me a feel for the game, particular strengths and weaknesses, and an overall assessment or recommendation. The reason I'm asking is that I've written several reviews here and have been surprised at the negative feedback I've gotten, not in comments but in ratings. I can see that my review of Squad Leader was a little too glowing and perhaps not informative, but I thought my recent review of PanzerBlitz was fairly good. I read the rules over carefully, thought about how the game plays, and tried to put it in it's historical context. Maybe I'm too concise, but no one else has even bothered to review the game. I know, poor me, maybe I'm too sensitive to criticism, but I don't really feel like writing any more reviews. Feel free to share your own experiences writing or rating reviews, or help me out by saying what I'm doing wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnar Sveen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read your PanzerBlitz review, and I like it. I think maybe you got bad ratings because people expect longer and more detailed reviews. I enjoyed the historical perspective, and the comments about improvements in later games based on the same system. I would have liked to know more about your feelings about the game, though.

Don't give up yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
Mostly, I find that reviews and articles tend not to be rated at all. I haven't read the ones you speak of, but I will now do so and rate them accordingly.

I understand your annoyance.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter R.
Italy
Bozen
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me Reviews too
Hi there,
I reviewed some games too, but the response was rather lukewarm (at best)!
I haven't read any of your reviews, but I will and then I will let you know what I think of it!

Just don't get to desperate, one "rather bad" review is better than none! I hope you continue to write. To read reviews is one of the things I do most here at the geek.

Bye by Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't stop writing reviews. I think that is one of the best features of BGG. I do not read very many of them -- just the ones about games I am considering purchasing or perhaps about a game everyone is discussing, when I want to know more about it. I like both long and short reviews, those that discuss the rules (since I don't own those games, generally) and those that gloss over the rules and give me the reviewer's personal thoughts. I don't want all reviews to come from the same cookie-cutter.

I have been guilty of not rating reviews after I read them, however. I will try to rate them from now on. Everyone likes feedback, especially when it is upbeat. It would be good, I think, to send a comment to a reviewer when you really want to compliment him/her.

Hang in there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Evans
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guess What
When Im researching a game I read a highly rated review and a low one. The low reviews, that stir up controversy, generally have many truths about the game that the diehard supporters (or those with differing oppinions) dont like to hear about.

Keep it up.

Some of us like more than one point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew York
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I would scrap the rating system as the spotlight artical system is a far better method to flag up any exceptional reviews. Regardless, most people will be greatful that you have taken the time to write one in the first place.

However, if ratings are to be used I think it's only fair that the reviewer has the option to see who has rated their game so that they can ask why it was marked low. That way we can start to raise the bar rather than just sit there not knowing what was wrong from that person's perspective. Either way, what pleases someone might not please another.

To be honest though, I tend to look at the number of comments and given a choice of many reviews, I am far more likely to read reviews with comments than look at the actual rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you've gotten ratings. Apparently almost noone has read my (admittedly few) articles, or at least not bothered to rate them.

(I haven't read your reviews now, so I can't comment on them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first review for the BGG was a review for Duel of Ages. It was the second review up, and unbeknownst to me I got stuck in the 'grain of salt' category, because I was deemed as simply hyping the game. I liked it, what could I say? I got very low ratings, and when i look back I do see why. I wrote a more in depth review for it later for a site I was part of.

I've written more since, and I havn't even seen if they were rated, as I don't want ratings of my reviews to affect me writing them.

So I would say take these peoples pointers, go forth and keep writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.