Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: National Game Week Celebration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Wednesday my strategy club met to celebrate National Board Game Week with an extended session from 3 - 7 pm. We also met in the faculty lounge instead of our normal classroom so that we could have food and use round tables. Both were pleasant differences to our normal meetings. Also adding to the evening was the fact that it was snowing like crazy in Chicago last Wednesday and I wasn't in a rush to fight snowstorm & holiday traffic trying to get home. Thekids, all being relatively close to school didn't really care about the snow at all.

So one group immediately opened up Starfarers of Catan and loved it. The new guy won, much to the dismay of the Catan veteran who was playing. That's how it goes..

Another group started playing "The Great Wall" variant of Settlers. Yes I know you are thinking "That's an awful lot of Catan being played" but the kids like those games and who am I to stop them from enjoying themselves? Also if you haven't played either of these, you should give them a try because they are pretty fun and more engaging than "vanilla" Settlers. The Mongols won, it happens alot in their games because someone's wall always gets breached early in the game and then they decide to help the Mongols win. I can't say that I am innocent of doing that in games I've played so I guess they learned it from me...

Then there were some students playing TCG's and, as a recovering MTG addict, the less said about those the better.

Then I noticed a bunch of students milling around and I got them into a game of El Grande. Once they got the hang of the game, they really enjoyed being able to go after other people's strongholds and the "sneak attack" aspect of the Castille. I never found out who won as I was picking up the pizza from the entrance...

There are a bunch of freshmen that have taken a shine to Heroscape and they set up a battlefield and were slugging it out. One student just loves the elven archer, boasting "I am unbeatable with this guy". I simply must play this game. I have had it since September and my students have played it more than me.

I noticed that the MTG players had grabbed Citadels and were playing that instead. I wonder what it is about Citadels that appeals to Magic players because every one I met seems to like it after they play it.

After pizza, one student had been dying to play Bang so he formed a group, explained the rules to everyone, and started shooting. From what I overheard they were having a blast, both figuratively and literally.

By this point I really needed to play something. Yeah, that's right it was almost 6 and I had yet to play a game in three hours. I convinced a few students to try Goa with me and so we played that. They got the hang of it surprisingly fast and quickly discovered the tension of "too many decisions, too little time" in the game. It was a close game, I won by a point. I had bought a 1 point plantation during the mid-game and no one understood why. I said "you never know when a point is going to help". Turned out i was right.

So that was it. We wound up leaving at 8 meaning we played for 5 hours! What fun. As an added bonus, the roads were clear of snow and traffic so it didn't take me any longer to get home than normal. I can't wait for next year to see if word builds. I suppose I should publicize it a bit more too.

Well I'm having another big group at the house tonight for more NBW action so I may have another journal soon.

Below a link to pages with pictures so feel free to check them out

http://www.shs.d211.org/science/faculty/MJP/nationalgameweek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!
Great write up. Thanks. Good to see kids getting involved with good games (yes, that includes Magic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You misnamed "HeroScape" as "HeroQuest" in the pics page.
Nice report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding work. Facilitating fun is often more fun than just having fun.

I thought your's was a college group at first; I didn't realize it was high school until I backed-up from the picture URL. Holy Cow, that's a big school - 40-plus faculty just in science and math!

You and your academic brothers and sisters are on the front lines of the war against ignorance and deserve our thanks. Makes me want to go get a certificate and enlist.

Go Saxons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that's great. My son-in-law is an excellent teacher and is very popular with students, parents, and faculty. My daughter expects to begin teaching full-time next fall. We have a strong appreciation for education in our family. You are doing a great service to your students, and eventually to rest of us, through them. Good show (and the photos were icing on the cake)!
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"HeroScape" as "HeroQuest"... must be Freudian slip...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.