Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard some scattered comments about monopoly not being luck based at some level. This intreges me. Has a gem been under my nose all these years?
I'd like to find a book or webpage on the subject. All I can find is a bunch of statistics at monopoly.com with only a fuzzy idea of how to apply it to the trading aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading
Yes, I think trading is all the strategy there is in Monopoly. It seems like buying properties, houses and hotels is kind of a no-brainer. You almost always buy, unless maybe you're coming up on some nasty properties on the board where you might end up paying out the nose for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, so far the games have been buy everything in sight & hope for a monopoly... If someone attempts a trade I can pretty much point to who will win. *no one* seems keen on trading for mutual monopolies because 1 always appears better than the other. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Fast Food Franchise or Chinatown. If you can't get Chinatown, get Traders of Genoa. All I know is I'm now gonna get it from our resident monopoly fan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of things....
The first thing to do is make sure that people play by the rules (no money of Free Parking, auctions, don't shuffle cards, etc.). Then you can apply strategies:

http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/pl/page.da/dn/default.cfm (Strategy Wizard)http://www.tkcs-collins.com/truman/monopoly/monopoly.shtml (Probabilities)
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/monopolycheat/strat/strat.html#top (more stuff)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
By far, the best book ever written on the subject is 1000 Ways To Win Monopoly Games, by Jay Walker and Jeff Lehman, 1975, Dell Publishing Co., New York, NY. It'll blow your mind how the game can actually be played. I've been working off and on on an article that gives an abbreviated version of this book but I doubt I'll ever finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two simple rules... Actually, three if you include the most obvious "badger opponents to sell you their properties at unrealistically low prices until they give in while offering them every opportunity to give you their properties in exchange for a rent waiver or whatever" strategy.

First, do almost anything you can to buy orange properties. (No point talking about names since each country has different names for the squares.) Never morgage your orange properties. Trade like a madman/woman to get orange properties if necessary. People are more likely to land on orange than anything else. This is because the most common space to land on is Jail (due to "Go to Jail" cards), and as the average roll is 7, orange properties are more likely to result in rent than any other property (due to former jailbirds on their way out). The obvious additional consequence of this is that, once you have all three orange properties, spend the rest of the game buying houses and hotels for these squares. Second best if you can't get orange is light blue (around 7 spaces out from "Go") and then yellow (from "free parking"). Orange, light blue and yellow also have the advantage of returning in rent a higher amount per house/hotel than properties in the earlier colors on the same strip (red, light purple and dark purple).

Second, don't spread your houses/hotels amongst more than one set. The multiplier for additional houses/hotels is huge, so you get more "bang for your buck" improving one set exclusively instead of spreading your money between several different sets. If you have the choice start with your cheaper sets because it takes much longer to get to the real rent multiplier levels with the more expensive sets. (But don't buy into the housing market too early in case you're wiped out with an unexpected rent payout.)

Optional third rule for stupid opponents: sell your dark blue properties for ridiculously inflated prices then encourage those people to spend huge amounts of money buying hotels on those properties, especially if that leaves them with no cash-in-hand. The actual chance of any player ending up on these squares is relatively low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
FFF
Nate Sandall,

Yes Fast Food Franchise is an excellent monopoly type game. I got a chance to play this year, and had a chance to buy that copy, but didn't have the cash. I don't like Chinatown for the fact of the simultanious trades. It becomes who can yell out the bids the fastest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
RAILROADS
The Railroads are the best property investment out there, provided you can get at least 3 of them. If you get all 4, you have a high probability of winning even if the rest of your properties are less than stellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.