Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: No Microquests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Nadelhaft
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the entries for Metagaming's Microquests "Treasure of Unicorn Gold" and "Treasure of the Silver Dragon" disappeared. I had submitted entries for the remaining 6 microquests which haven't been posted. I am assuming this is because they were judged to be RPGs? I'm curious about that, as I don't consider them RPGs so much as paragraph-based adventure games, like Tales of the Arabian Nights, with Melee and/or Wizard as "arena" combat systems. Defining an RPG as opposed to a boardgame is tricky, and I can think of plenty of examples that blur the lines. Requiring a game-master seems like a necessary part of the definition of an RPG. How else would you define "RPG" vs. "boardgame," and what are some other borderline examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew,

I agree with you too. Microquests are also boardgames where different scenarios are set up based on what chooses are made in a paragraph book and not RPG products.

A more grey area are the Tunnels and Trolls solitaire adventures. Games to play out with a RPG's combat system. I could go either way on those too, but can see what their inclusion would open up.

For those who haven't seen it, Mav has a geeklist listing paragraph games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nadelhaft
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - thanks for the response! And for pointing me to that list. I think the Ares SPI games Mav listed are excellent comparison points for the Microquests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunnels & Trolls is a Role-Playing Game, so I would say the T&T adventures should be counted as RPG supplements/adventures and not included on BGG. (The line line has to be drawn somewhere!)

The Microquests are more of a grey area. Which side of the line do they fall on? Melee and Wizard are stand alone boardgames, but can also be considered the physical combat and magical subsytems of the The Fantasy Trip RPG. The Fantasy Trip is an RPG that uses boards to govern certain aspects of the game. Does that make it a boardgame? IMHO, The Fantasy Trip is designed to be an RPG and should be treated as such. Microquests should be considered as supplements/adventures for the primary system (an RPG) and therefore not included on BGG.

Obviously an arbritrary dececision. Easy to see how another person could come down on the other side of the line. Safer, I think, to be conservative in determining what is a "boardgame" and what is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nadelhaft
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting suggestion - I consider the Microquests "expansions to base game" relating to Melee and Wizard, which, to me, are both boardgames - or at least board/role-playing games like City of Chaos, City of Sorcerors, Talisman, Dungeoneer and Mage Knight: Dungeons. It's the fact that they can be played without a game-master - solitare, multiplayer, or two player (with one player playing the monsters in combats), plus the fact that decision-making is not open-ended - being limited to what's in the paragraph system, with no real room for inginuity - and the lack of emphasis on "character" - you've got statistics, but lots of boardgames have those, and there's not much back-story and description to your dungeon-crawlers in Death Test, as opposed to rpgs I've played where the characters and their lives between adventures were more important that the adventures themselves - that make these boardgames, or expansions to boardgames.

Plus, I just wanna see all those Metagaming titles in one database

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartbreak, you know, drives a big, black car. Swear I was in the backseat just minding my own..
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be listed here
I submitted the entry for Unicorn Gold just a few days ago, plus the first pictures for Silver Dragon. I think they in fact are boardgames and should be listed as so.

Melee and Wizard are boardgames and explicitly designed and marketed as such. The advanced versions are boardgames. Melee and Wizard are the only rules you need to play these Microquests. The Microquests have a board and counters and don't require a gamemaster.

They are more like boardgames than RPGs, in my opinion. I'd sure like to see them listed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm convinced.

Microquests have boards, are expansions to the Melee/Wizard game system and do not require a Game Master/Referee. So I'll change my opinon and say they are boardgames and should be allowed to be listed on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nadelhaft
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously? Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nadelhaft
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One last plea for the Microquests
Having just recieved my copy of "The Thing in the Darkness," purchased on eBay, I've got to make one last plea for the inclusion of Metagaming's "Microquests" in the BGG database. Scott, Chris, whoever else I need to beg... I am on bended knee. cry I swear they qualify! "The Thing in the Darkness" is a programmed, paragraph-based solitaire adventure based on Call of Cthulhu... the Microquests are programmed, paragraph-based solitaire or multi-player adventures that require the rules from one or two independent board games - Melee and Wizard - to play. I also see them as fitting in with the paragraph-based games that got published in Ares, like the Stainles Steel Rat and BSM Pandora games. The main difference seems to me to be that the Microquests would be considered "expansions for base game," kind of like scenario packs for minis games. The base games that they expand upon are definitely boardgames; they can be used to form an RPG system, or not.

Besides, wouldn't it be neat to have all those Metagaming micro releases in the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.