Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: First time questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Fisher
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've been visiting BGG for a long time and today is the first time I've tried to contribute. BGG is responsible (directly and indirectly) for more than 1//2 of my collection of over 350 games. The reviews, aids and translations have helped me understand, enjoy and find all kinds of new games. I've got a few questions BGG that I'd love to ask. I uploaded a few games rules that geekgold was offered, how do I go about getting it? There doesn't seem to be much information on how to do that. For those of you have listed your games - why? I've thought about doing it, but not sure I want to take the time. Are there any benefits? Or is it just to share your collection with others? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek Gold is usually issued within a few days of making your submission, or within a few days of your submission being approved by BGG admin if it requires approval. I'd wait for at least week before starting to panic and probably longer this week due to backlog from Thanksgiving holidays in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listing your games
The reasons why I do it:

- BGG can automate finding suitable trades for me once my collection is punched in

- I can track my own game collection from any computer with an internet connection -- including games I want but do not yet have

- If I want to tell my friends what games I have so they can figure out what they want to play, I can just send them a URL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Everything Etherton said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of game listings (I assume you mean your personal collection), ownership data as such is, in my view, mainly a boasting thing amongst geeks Unfortunately, BGG has a clumsy system for entering your collection and I'm not sure I'd have the patience for 350 games.

Ratings, on the other hand, are essential for a healthy BBG community and result in all that useful ranking data that helps one to determine what's worth buying. On the Geek it is considered polite to include comments with your rating so that people can work out why you gave the rating you did. For example, I don't like Clans, but make it clear that my low rating for this game is beacuase I don't like abstract strategy. You get these comments by clicking on the number next to the "Number of Ratings" field... very useful information!

Unfortunately, I don't think that one can easily seperate ownership data from your rankings, so you may as well do both while you're at it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Evans
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection Database is neato
Whats not to like?
Without having to search through a geekbuddies closet, or wasting any of their time, one might check there collection and ask, "Hey Kevin, why dont you bring San Marco to our next session?"
Do you see how easy that was for him?

You can check for potential trades, similar interests, and BOAST about your treasures. At the very least, you may make your collection information available to be useful to others as well.

I like checking the GeekBuddy Analysis to get opinions, about games I'm not familiar with, that would be very similar to my own opinions. It's almost as good as try before you buy.

Boast on Brothers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are rare games that I'm interested in knowing more about and they have no reviews and very little information, then I may be interested in contacting persons listed here as owners directly to get to know more. Perhaps I've bought a copy in a thrift store and need to know what bits are missing (if any) and the BGG listing doesn't have a manifest (as way too many entries don't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded my collection, small though it is, for a few reasons. The most basic reason is so that you contribute your ratings to the geek. This content should not be overlooked, as most users look at the basic numbers when deciding what to consider purchasing. I've found that giving your ratings also clarifies your thoughts about certain games or genres. What two or three games in your collections are 10's is always an interesting question to ask oneself. Along with you ratings, put some comments about the games you like - this helps tremendously when users are assessing ratings. Going throug this process will also helps you identify what games you would be willing to trade or sell if that interests you.

Finally, there is a credibility factor here at the geek. If you have no collection uploaded, then we can't tell what kind of gamer you are when contibute an opinion. As we all know, a 10 from a new user for a game that only they seem to have played, carries a lot less weight than a 10 from a user that has 350 games rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owner
If you are marked as the owner of a game, I can message you directly and ask a question, especially if it is an uncommon game. Even if I have the same game, it may still be in shrink. I don't want to open mine immediately (reducing its possible re-sale value) but I may have a query. You might have opened and played your copy and can answer me. If you don't mark your ownership, how do I know who to ask?

You might be the *only* owner of a game, and so I might ask you directly to submit a photo, or explain your rating in more detail. People have asked me where I got my copy of a game, or specific rules queries.

There is a short way of listing the games alphabetically, which gives you a tick box on the side. It's a really quick way of starting your collection when you have a lot. You just bang down the list, ticking as you go, and then update. You could probably do most of your collection from memory. But I forget where it is.

And also, what's wrong with boasting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.