Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Java vs. Mexica for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Tikal already, and am looking to pick up another one of Kramer's "Mask Trilogy". However, I'd really like it to play well with two players since I often play with a friend of mine at home.

I'd appreciate everyone's input as to which of these games works better with two. Mexica has a slightly higher rating, but it also has a majorities mechanic which doesn't always work well with two. Java is heavier and sounds really interesting, but might need 3 players to work well?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't have Java, but I've found that Mexica plays well with 2 players, especially with the variant described here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20992

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
JAVA!!!
It's Java for two. Mexica is okay with two, but just okay. I own all three and I find that Java is hands-down the best one to play with two. Java has also ended up as my favorite of the trilogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?
Why do you need the variation? Both games are designed for 2 or more players. Just curious as to your thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Mexica Variant
Mainly because David is right in his observation about the majority mechanic. Without the third "dummy" player (a la Risk), the game is a fairly flat 1-upping exercise. The variant doesn't really eliminate this, but it helps a lot. It also helps make each game different, because the starting conditions (due to dummy placement) are generally different each time.

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played both twice 2 player. Java wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Java.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Reynolds
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the whole trilogy with 2 players and have found that they all work really well with 2 players. It really depends if you are looking for a game that is lighter and more dynamic than Tikal (Mexica) or is a bit heavier and strategic than Tikal (Java). If you can afford it, I'd suggest to getting both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Java Wins
Thanks for all your comments. Sounds like Java is the winner, so that's what I'll be going with. I probably will pick up a copy of Mexica sometime, my quest is to get all the great games, but my gaming budget tells me that this is a long-term goal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.