Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Subbuteo question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Rasch
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there are better teams than the ones you get with the game.. Maybe it's just me that's very bad at the game, but the figures seems to fall over VERY easy - and I'm not able to make a decent flick.. So, do I just need to practice alot, or is it possible to buy teams that is a bit more "heavy".
I've allready got the Astropitch, so it's not because the field is bad

The picture in the link has some teams with a more flat base.. Are they better, and where can I get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends
The "best" teams in many people's opinions are the "heavyweight" teams which were mass-produced in the 1970s and possibly into the early 1980s. These can still be obtained in varying conditions - ranging from about GBP 10.00 up to GBP 100.00+ depending on the rarity of the strip and the condition. For example, Brazil or England teams are much more common than Danish club sides.

I prefer to play using a heavyweight team rather than the later "lightweights". They are referred to here
http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub3.htm
as "classic heavyweights" and this is what I would recommend trying out.

A reliable supplier, assuming you don't want to take the risk of buying players with broken ankles on ebay, is
Subbuteoworld, where the prices are high, but the quality is good. I see that I'm not allowed to link to suppliers, but you'll find the site easily. It's in the UK.

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
WE used to play this game as kids in the 80's.

I remember never being able to master this game. It was not until we got the indoor soccer version that we had any real fun with it.

I wonder if I could enjoy it now?

Sorry this post is of no help to your question.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Fudus
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flat bases
I have teams with both bases, the flat bases are definately easier to use. they are roughly the same weight, they don't tip over nearly as easily, and are much, much easier to send in a strait path. They are the only bases we play with. The rounded base ones are better for curving shots but much harder to use and master. that being said, the people who are good with them will never switch.

You can find them on ebay. I may be able to get you some teams with flat bases. I'll put out some calls tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Fudus
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hasbro
The base in the picture you mentioned is of the Hasbro figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend had a set (has?) back in the '80s and I got pretty good (with a lot of practice) at flicking the guys and moving them around at one point. Shooting on goal and scoring is something I never quite got the hang of though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.