Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: December 1 2004 Game Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've started up a weekly boardgame night at a local shop, with generally 4-6 people attending. Tonight we had Robin, Chris, Ed and Joy as well as myself.

Robin and I were there first, so we played a game of Blue Moon. I've played just a few games of this Reiner Knizia 2-player card game, and it was Robin's first time playing. We used the decks from the starter box. Robin picked up the mechanics quickly, and the game ended with all of the dragons in the middle of the board.

Ed, Chris and Joy arrived just as we started Blue Moon, so they broke into groups and played a round of Lost Cities (Ed and Joy) and then Chris and Robin played Kahuna (another Kosmos 2-player) while I watched. Kahuna seemed interesting.

When the 2-player games finished up, Joy brought out Modern Art, a game for which I've read many glowing reviews but have never gotten the opportunity to play. It was the first play for the whole group, and we started with a quick read of the rules. I really enjoyed this game; the different types of auctions are all very fun, and there's a lot of mind games in deciding how much to spend on a painting, as well as which of your own paintings to offer to the other players on your turns. Being that it was my first time playing, I tried a fairly aggressive strategy, paying high for many paintings and then ending the season when I could, if I had several high-value paintings in front of me. It took a couple of rounds before we got the hang of trying to figure out which artists works would be worth the most money, and which might end up worthless. As it turned out, we only had worthless works in the final round (or season), and the top 3 artists works were all worth 60k each. There were only a couple of things I didn't like. First, the generic artists and paintings seem kind of silly, although I'm certain there's good monetary reasons for not using actual artwork from famous artists. Second, each round of play seemed to favor just one or two artists, and it was pretty easy to see how things were going to end up for that round early on. In the middle of a round, nobody wanted to offer works from artists that might become worthless, but I suppose this is intentional to keep the game moving along. A bit more fighting for control of the top 3 artists of each round would be nice, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.