Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I love about playing games is the great quality pieces and substantial bits that many are made with.

The tactile sensation is indeed a good part of a solid, well-produced game and has an impact on the overall enjoyment (along with theme, mechanics, etc.).

One thing I can't stand is a highly recommended game with overall high quality components that comes with...

...tiny cards. angry

What possesses companies who produce wonderful game boards, spend tons on card art, etc. to produce games with little, tiny, hard to manipulate fiddly cards?

Examples:

Ticket to Ride - quality board, nice plastic trains, and...

tiny cards.

It is the same with Pirate's Cove.

Days of Wonder is capable of producing games with normal sized cards - Mystery of the Abbey.

I can name other popular games with tiny playing cards --

Attika
Goa
Saint Petersburg -- and this is a "card game"! Imagine Samurai or Lost Cities using this size card.

Now, I own all of these games and enjoy them, but the tiny cards are at best an annoyance.

Anyone else feel this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, it is somewhat crazy. O'Pharoah has little cards too.

San Juan has normal sized cards, but need to be of a KEM type plastic, with so much shuffling.

But if you want BIG cards, get boom town. Those cards are huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your're right
It IS hard to imagine playing Samurai with small cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, there's no reason why those cards need to be small.

Even games like Citadels and Modern Art. How about Poker-sized cards, folks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
>quality<
...ugghhh...I didn't want tot ouch on card QUALITY as well.

Just picked up Battle Lines and was dissappointed with the thin (but normal sized) cards. Even though I got a great deal on the game, now I had to purchase card protectors in order to be able to play the game and not worry about wearing out the cards.

Now, you also have the oversized cards - a.k.a. Joan of Arc. Great game and one I've played quite a bit before buying it. But, the cards are the long variety and don
t fit in card protectors. Someone suggested laminating all of them. Now, THAT would be expensive.

That leads me to another mini-rant - the NUMBER of cards in a game. Is 110 a magic number? I mean, really, who comes up with that number? Funny how card protectors come in packs of 50...

I can't remember how many packs of 40 leftover crad protectors I've started with. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't actually mind tiny cards, or different shapped crads. I do mind quality. And BANG! really rubs me the wrong way. This is a game where cards will get handled alot, and the cards are so darn flimsy! ARGH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
If TTR cards were full sized, I may never play the game. I would hate to hold 35 full sized cards in my hand at any given time. And think of how much space five face up cards plus the face down stack plus the discards would take up on the table.

I say, "keep the small cards."

Now, if there's tiny text on them, that's a different problem. But in the TTR example, it's just a color. For St. Petersburg, you don't need full sized cards. They'd spread four feet across a table. I guess I'm not at all distracted by small cards, though I surely would be if the cards were full sized. Hell, I think the stock cards in Acquire are far too large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I think they're kinda cute.
I agree with Randy. As long as you can read any text that may be on the cards and they are of high quality, small cards generally make life easier, especially if there is the potential of a large hand size or if you are playing the cards to the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wene
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiples of 55
Anyone else feel this way?

Totally agree. I would much rather have cards of a "standard" size.....afterall, there is a reason that some sizes are "standard".

Is 110 a magic number? I mean, really, who comes up with that number?

I believe I read somewhere once that poker sized cards are always printed in sheets of 55 cards (52 suited deck + 2 jokers + 1 informational card). So, to save on printing costs when using that size card, the designer/publisher tries to keep to multiples of 55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Small cards are bad
After trying to hold 30 Magic cards vs 30 TTR cards, I have to say that it's easier for me to hold the much bigger Magic cards. Cards so small are much harder to 'fan' or hold in a vertical column. In TTR, my cards end up clumped and sticking to each other. The fact that those cards are so hard to riffle shuffle doesn't help matters. In TTR I end up pile shuffling, which is a pain with so many cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
55 is a magic number
Yes as Mike has already mentioned 55 is the magic number for standard sets of cards used for Poker, Bridge, 500 and all the other games that will soon be showing up as owned by Joe Steadman meeple

The number of those decks of cards produced a year is orders of magnitude larger than for any games that we play here and thus it is best (financially at least) to go with the flow of 55 and multiples thereof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Wesley Chapel
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
55 - got it!
Multiples of 55 - that makes sense. I suppose that fact exonerates the game company who is saving a buck on normal sized cards. But, it places a little blame on card protector companies who (you would think) know that fact.

Even if they didn't know it, they know that Magic players use 60 cards. They have produced card sleeves for the narrower cards - yet they keep making them in quantities of 50.

I also agree with the idea that it is easier to hold a fistful of normal sized cards over the smaller TtR-sized cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.