Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Backgammon to ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh yeh another journal about what to get the wife to play boardgames. Ok I have Spank the Monkey and ordered Carcassone so haven't tried yet. So what are the criteria.

a) She likes Backgammon. I analyse this to mean she does not mind the luck of dice but the importance is how you play with the luck (I think of all card games here but mostly Lost Cities).

b) Luck cannot undo all your hardwork. If I roll a one and she loses all possesions or skills or goes back to the cave entrance, whatever, luck cannot stuff up your tactics dramitically so it affects game enjoyment

c) I showed her Yinsh and she said YiYuck!

d) No War themes. As in WWII or Battle of this or that

e) No minatures like Heroscape but game pieces are OK (obviously)

f) Gameplay no more than an hour but 45 minutes would be better

I welcome all suggestions.

From my review I look at possibly two games

Lost Cities
Royal Turf

Regards
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
2-player
Lost Cities is a great choice. I don't love the game, but many do. There's luck, but it doesn't kill you are make you win with one swoop.

I have not played Royal Turf, but what I've read about it says that it may not fit the bill well for you. It is more of a filler game that does not have the enormous replay value of Lost Cities--especially as a 2-player game. Royal Turf seems to be more along the lines of 4-5 players as a fun pick-me-up after a long brain-burner or dry game. Also, Royal Turf is not in print (at least not in the states here) from what I can tell. It will be reprinted next year as Winner's Circle.

There are many Geeklists on this exact subject. Search the Geeklists for keywords like wife, girlfriend, 2 player, and so forth.

Other than Lost Cities, think about:
Alhambra (2-6 players)
Hera & Zeus (2 players)
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (2 players)
St. Petersburg (2-4 players)

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Igel Argern. It's a little like Backgammon, in that it's a highly tactical race game of managing your luck. It's a little lighter than Backgammon, but it's cute as heck, and very fun for 2 (it seems to bog down with more players). There is "screwage," but it's minor and more fun than nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like she doesn't like pure abstracts (which are what all of the GIPF games are), likes a little luck but still desires a decent helping of strategy to go with it. Also perhaps simple, elegant rules.

Lost Cities (or other Knizia card games) is a good suggestion, but I strongly suggest Odin's Ravens in this case. It's a race game, like backgammon, but very different from it, and while you have luck because it uses cards to form the racetrack (think cards that are like dominoes, only they have landscapes instead of just numbers), you use the cards similar to how you use your dice in Backgammon.

And I think she will like the additional aspect of the auxillary deck---just think, a sort of Backgammon game where you can store up future moves that are currently not useful!

Plus the special powers of the Odin cards keep things exciting.

The game doesn't cost very much, either, but has nice components. Recent copies have corrected the Magic Way rules, but I know people who don't use the tacked-on Magic Way addition and love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Quiroz
United States
Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
Odin's Ravens
This is a super card game designed for two players and is a race to the finish! Love this game, by the way! I am also a Backgammon nut, so maybe this one will fit with your wife too! Check it out here at the Geek for more details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Goo-I have looked at the geeklists and that's how I came up with Carcassonne. I suppose I wasn't clear on what I was saying. What boardgame would suit a backgammon nut (thanks very much adobemoonlight ) and it doesn't have to be two player only?

Now I think the Odin's Raven suggestion is a cracker and I'll give that a try. Thanks for the sound reasoning on that bilboatbagend.

rootbeer I like your thinking and will consider Igel but may be a litte light.

So I suppose now I have a card game (odin's) is there any boardgame that may suit? Adobemoonlight as a selfconfesed BN what sort of board games do you get into?

As per goo's suggestions I will look at LOTR-Confrontation and Alhambra but St. Petersburg I thought is longer than an hour?

Regards
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about...
Settlers? The card game is probably too long, but the boardgame should finish within an hour as long as you don't have really slow players. May be a bit long for you.
OR
Oasis? Definitely some luck with the card draw, but it's more or less manageable. Good for 3-5, although I'd avoid 3er games.
OR
Tongiaki? Lighter, less strategic, but can be interesting. For 2-6 (but gets more random with more players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
StreetSoccer!!!!
StreetSoccer might be a good choice.

In many ways, it is like backgammon - a board game relying on die rolls for movement but in which good placement often moots bad (or indifferent) die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.