Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Trading Stephenson's Rocket to DW Tripp for rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
...I have no idea what.

Since he mentioned looking for it and at my suggestion, I picked up a shrink wrapped copy of SR to trade to DW for something on his shelf. My regular gamer guy knows a small group of people who like to game on a regular basis.

Anybody who has read my stuff here knows I'm not much of euro-gamer and that the war theme is the blood in the water that attracts me. I'm also not put off by a light dicefest as long as it can be played in reasonable time.

The group is the Reverend Brown and sons and Taxi Jim. Taxi Jim will not play any game in which direct confrontation with another player is mandatory. He has and will play Zombies (I own it and some expansions) since one cannot directly attack another player and he doesn't engage in screwing another player.

In essence, he plays it as a race game. If going after the 25 kills he brings Zombies to him and if racing for the heli-pad he clears his own path. If pressed he will play a negative card on another player but that's kind of rare.(He plays Circus Maximus, too.) But he'd prefer to improve his own position first before deliberately picking a fight.

In general the group plays, Lunar Rails, Circus Imperium and Trivial Pursuit. If the Revs sons are engaged then Risk 2210AD is on the list but Taxi Jim drops out. But light games are a must. Dicefests seem to be well received. Brainer burners are not.

Pirate's Cove has been floating on the periphery of my buy list with some others. It seems like it has the ingredients for this nice group of folks and still permits me to use firepower if required. Yet, everytime I mention it HERE I get a mixed bag of advice.

I did run PC by this group the other night before playing Circus Imperium and they agreed they would give it a shot. When I mentioned talking like a pirate, I was surrounded by "Arrrgs" "Aye, mateys" and stuff like that. I guess they dig the theme. One of the Rev's sons had seen it played at GenCon and thought it would fly for a play or two.

In essence, one of favorite game geeks was looking for something and by chance I knew where to get it.

Ok, the things that are going through my head are...

1) Pirate's Cove to capture this group.

2) Smugglger's of the GAlaxy might file the niche too but I think that available direct from the publisher only. I've read mixed reviews on that too.

2) Another M'44 to do the giant scenarios and team play that would bring in the Rev and his sons but exclude Taxi Jim.

3)Another 2 player war game just for me and Richard, my regular war gamer friend.

I am asking for suggestions from DW Tripp himself and the general membership here.

NOTE: Risk 2210 AD other Risk variants and train games do nothing for me.

SIDEBAR: My friend Richard has asked me to help him cull his war game collection to raise some funds. He is not computer literate so I'll handle it through here, if I can or on e-bay. Out of respect for the rules I'll not mention the games nor what he's asking on this post. (Somehow I feel like I'm breakin' the law just by adding this sidebar). Call me on it if I have.

If curious, please send me a PM through the geek and keep this journal free of unnecessary commercial clutter.

Any other Off Topic comments are welcome, as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own OT personal Addendum
I beat the PC game Freelancer last night. So now I'm free to explore the galaxy without a scripted plot to follow.

Yeah, now I can buy things and try to sell 'em for a profit... uh...that's an awful lot like what I do for a living. No, that's exactly what I do for a living. Maybe I'll be a space pirate instead and wear the eye patch OUTSIDE the helmet and keep the parrot INSIDE the helmet.

Rock School is tonight, we will be short one player and maybe two. Darn holiday events are cramping my on-going guitar education.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Stevenson's rocket? Hmmm...
There's a copy at a FLGS in town. I keep going back and forth on getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A real dillema
Hmmm... now you've gone and done it Scrib. You got me the game I want and then lobbed the ball right back at me for suggestions.

We've already discussed Pirate's Cove and you know I like it fine, but just didn't feel like it fit with what I know about your tastes. Now I see the dilemma. What good is having a great game if no one will play? I look longingly at my copy of Europe Engulfed every and then rush out to buy a lottery ticket hoping I can win enough to fly to your neck of the woods and rent a hotel suite so we can have a wargame Geekfest.

Anyway. I have two possible suggestions beyond PC that seem to qualify in the dice and ease departments. One is the brand new Eagle Games release of Bootleggers. I'll have that in the store in a day or two and I'll likely buy it myself.

The other that might suit is the upcoming Doom boardgame from FFG. It seems to be a few levels above Zombies. But again, I haven't played it.

The Risk stuff leaves me a bit flat, even 2210, because the games take so long. If I'm going to invest time I want to play either a wargame or something along the lines of Power Grid.

As you take in suggestions and read reviews I'll give it some more thought.

Oh yeah, and you are definitely awesome for snagging that game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PC Games with Trading
If you are looking for a good PC game with trading, put down Freelancer and buy a copy of Port Royale 2. I could not even bear to finish Freelancer; it was too boring and pointless. I have to tear myself away from PR2 whenever I turn it on.

There are multiple options for building wealth: trading, starting businesses, pirating, working as a privateer for a nation at war, completing missions, destroying pirate hideouts, invading towns, etc. It is more than a trading game. It is a 17th century economic simulator. It's also beautiful to look at. They really got the details right in this version.

You can also get married, and eventually, establish your own town.

I haven't yet played the new Pirates!, but they're very similar. PR2 is drier and more focused on economics, while Pirates! is aiming for more of a cinematic experience. They're probably both worth your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've picked up Port Royale 2 and Pirates
and read the boxes. I am interested but F-Lancer was in the previously owned bin for cheap and I am very fond of the paragraph and die roll game Star Smuggler by DwarfStar. The hook in that game was unlike any other buy and sell game, in which you start squeaky clean and fresh with X amount of money, in Star Smuggler you start $100,000 credits in debt to loan sharks. You must pay the vigorish every ten days NO MATTER WHAT or the "repomen" will be looking for you. See my review.

But I know what you mean about the boring part in FL. Too much pointless combat, you can't even be a boring asteroid miner without a heavily armed and armored fighter in between the scripted missions and if you got one of those it's more profitable to be a bounty hunter take jobs and sell the salvage. If ya gotta fight all the time anyway, make some cash.

But now that I've beaten F-lancer it's more interesting. I have the same choices as I did in SS. In fact, I may start three branches of the game. One will continue seek out the high end Very Heavy Fighters and weapons* as a B Hunter, another as a Pirate (same equipment goals) and the third will try to make it as a law abiding freight hauler trying to get rich. Some part of me always wanted to be a truck driver. Space Station Hookers?

I figure a Humpback freighter carrying 275 units of diamonds can gross over $300,000 in a run and I want to see if it's possible to survive.

*I have salvaged a handfull of Class Ten weapons that cannot be purchased anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh DW
As you know my gaming history has been a razor thin niche, so I need some input. But I'm not in a hurry to get anything, just tell me where to send SR. I'm getting another stuff ready to ship later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.