Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: My Picture Ratings Guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my criteria for rating the pictures on the Geek:

1 - This picture should be removed from the Database.
2 - This picture has nearly nothing going for it. The only reason not to delete it is because of the content or the fact that there are no better pictures of this subject at the present time.
3 - Poor quality picture. All 3 elements of focus, exposure, composition are of poor quality. This subject matter needs a replacement picture of better quality.
4 - Acceptable quality, but not a very good picture overall.
5 - Average quality picture. MUST BE AT LEAST in focus, have an ok exposure, and be of fair composition. Content is nothing special. This is the highest rating for a Box Cover.
6 - All the photographic elements of a 5 are there, but either one or more of those elements stands out or the subject matter is very unique or interesting.
7 - This is a very good picture, sharp, crisp, clean and bright. In addition, the subject matter is well represented in an unique way.
8 - A great picture - it has all of the elements of a 7, but in addition, the picture provides useful visual information about the game.
9 - A really outstanding picture. In addition to the qualities of an 8, there is a certain flair to the photo or the photo was taken in a very creative way - maybe an different point of view or exposure was used to showcase the subject matter.
10 - A perfect picture due to all the components being exemplary - focus, exposure, composition, subject matter, representation, and creativity.

Basically to get a rating of 5 - the technical aspects have to be there - focus, exposure ect... 6's and 7's are for interesting shots or unique subject matter, 8 and above are for those really clever, creative or breathtaking shots - "postcard" shots if you will. I also agree that Box Covers shouldnt be rated higher than a 5.

I also have a suggestion for the "Pictures by Rating" browser function - how about a filter to keep pictures from showing up until they have at least 5 (10?) ratings? It seems really odd to look at the top pictures and see one guy throw up a 9 or 10 rating for some silly box cover shot and have it be the "Number 1 picture on the Geek" (at least for the brief moment it stays there. I know that eventually it will all balance out, but its going to take some time to get enough ratings for all the pics to minimize that.

LOVE THE FEATURE ALDIE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I like your scale, and it's more or less what I've been using.

I'm still trying to figure out how the ranking works for the top photos- some shots that are highly rated don't seem to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are box covers limited to a 5? I think box covers are a pretty important piece of the photographic archive. There are some crappy box covers....all glare-y and hard to see. I'm not sure what the right number for a box cover is...but perhaps what you're suggesting is that a photo with essentially NO composition should not be eligible for more than a 5. Is that fair to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And also
In addition to cornjob's comments, (which I agree with, some box covers deserve more than just a 5), I'd like to mention that some shots are inherently more "interesting", but this doesn't neccessarily mean they deserve a higher rating. Just thoughts to consider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornjob wrote:

Why are box covers limited to a 5? I think box covers are a pretty important piece of the photographic archive. There are some crappy box covers....all glare-y and hard to see. I'm not sure what the right number for a box cover is...but perhaps what you're suggesting is that a photo with essentially NO composition should not be eligible for more than a 5. Is that fair to say?

Exacty! I think that the box covers should be more documentary and just present the box as best as possible -in focus, centered, straight on, proper color, exposure, contrast ect... I don't want someone showing the box from some weird angle or trying to be creative with it. Those type of shots are ok for the "layout of component shots" where people spread everything out like Avalon Hill used to do in their old catalogs.

I guess a 6 would work too with a box cover from the criteria I've listed, but having a standard "high" score for box covers just seems like a good idea to me, then I don't even have to think when I see a photo of a box cover beyond the standard "is it blurry? is it exposed right?" type of questions ect...

I like the idea of rating a photo high because the photographer excelled at some or all aspects of the photo itself, not because its an average (or even good) photo of a game you really like and you end up rating it high because of that aspect. The same is true of games you don't like. I'm not going to rate a great picture of a Monopoly game low simply because I don't like the game.

Of course everyone will rate how they like anyways - I'm just giving my criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Along the same lines...
I came up with a similar system, but a flood of journals scrolled it off the front page, pronto. I added some sample pictures as examples:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?username=The+M...

There was some "controversy" over whether the picture below was totally worthless or not. So far the vote is 1-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 or 2 in my book...
Mav, I think that picture of the boxers should be deleted unless it's the only one of it's type in the system. It's blurry, has a bad orange cast, low contrast and uninteresting overall. (Sorry to whoever posted that - but you have to admit that is not a good picture!)

Your ratings are really similar to mine - maybe just a notch higher for each category and I like the examples you used.

A lot of people simply upload a ton of quick pics to get geekgold and they don't put much effort into the photo's. Hopefully the rating system will help now that your username is credited alongside the pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good box cover shot is definitely worth more than 5 in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Technical merit is secondary
I agree that box art is no more than a 5. It's just a scan of the box. No creativity, no effort. No setting up all the components etc. Just a scan. So give it a 5 if it's clear and focused.

As to the talk of technical issues--focus, tint, darkness. To me, all that is secondary. First and foremost, everything that comes in the box--and the box itself--is necessary for the picture to get a 7 or better. If it's just a micro shot of part of the board or a component, then it falls into the box art realm. Interesting documentary information, but not great scores.

Only after a picture fulfills the requirement to see everything in a single shot do I start thinking of higher-than-7 ratings.

But I'm sure some people look only at technical merit and don't care whether you learn anything about the game at all. To each their own.

I agree that there should be a way to select the number of votes necessary to appear on the view-by-rating option. I might want 5 votes. Someone else might want 10. But showing items with 1 vote is tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to weigh in
with Randy. Mostly what I want is a clue as to how much space the the game takes up when ready to play, an idea of the eye-candy factor of the components and a box shot so I can easily scan a shelf of games and recognize it. Lastly, I like those folks who contibuted pix showing how to upgrade the eye appeal by showing substitute components as long as they are noted as such.

I actually liked the old rating system better, Yes or No by the Admin team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Put it in perspective...
A good box cover shot is definitely worth more than 5 in my book.

I'll take that with a grain of salt, since you also thought the "blizzard boxers" were worthwhile in the absence of any better image...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy wrote:
As to the talk of technical issues--focus, tint, darkness. To me, all that is secondary. First and foremost, everything that comes in the box--and the box itself--is necessary for the picture to get a 7 or better.

scribidinus wrote:
Mostly what I want is a clue as to how much space the the game takes up when ready to play, an idea of the eye-candy factor of the components and a box shot so I can easily scan a shelf of games and recognize it.

I agree that you want to have these types of pictures (after all the BGG is a database) but I think we differ on the criteria for rating a picture. If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are evaluating the content of a picture as the most important criteria - and it is in my opinion as well.

However, let me clear up what I consider to be a box cover shot. This is a box cover shot:

This is not: (at least to me)

The top picture is a great example. It is in focus, well exposed, and shows the box directly head on with no other distracting information. I'd give it a 5 - maybe a 6 since it so clear and sharp (I think I already implied that maybe a 6 would be more suitable as the max for a box cover).

However, I don't consider the bottom picture to be a box cover shot. Yes the box cover is there, but this seems to be more of a "game set-up" shot or a "components included" shot. I do like that type of shot too and as long as it is in focus, exposed right and and composed well, it's got a minimum of 5 from me (so far so good as this picture looks nice too so I'd be thinking at least a 6 right off). The photographer also took the time to lay out the components nicely and include the box to give you some sense of scale to everything so I'd ultimately give it a 7.

Now look at this picture:

Although, it doesnt show the box cover or catalog the components in the same way as photo #2 above, this photo just looks great! You see it and want to play the game. The colors are exposed right, the image is in focus, and it is well composed (a solid 6 according to my criteria). Three other things bump it even higher for me, first is the low camera angle - giving us the feel of a spectator at the race. Second is that you can cleary read the board information (the numbers and such) giving me some visual information about the game. Finally there is the way the cars and dice are set-up on the board. It looks like this game is being played right now (I dont know if it is or isnt but it really doesnt matter) as the effect is there. Now I'm up to an solid 8 with this one. I actually gave this one a 9 as it met my criteria for a 9 - it has a certain intangible flair for the way it was taken.

I'm not trying to say that anyone's basis for rating a picture is right or wrong, I'm just saying that for me, I'd like to see every picture in here be at least in the 4-7 range for the technical elements because a picture of the layout of a game that shows all the components and box cover in a nice manner is pretty useless to me if it's out of focus or too dark or too small to begin with. That's why I feel the technical components HAVE to be there to make the picture useful to begin with.

If its a nice shot from a technical aspect, then I'm all for the debate about what type of shot is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott
I agree that technically competentcy should be required for inclusion. The last photo in your last post here does make the racing game game look like a lot of fun even though I don't have room to play it.

My purely selfish position is that rating pix is an unnecssary feature for my enjoyment of the geek. It has prompted a proliferation of posts and quite frankly, I used my best joke on an earlier one.

But many people like it and I'll adjust accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my thoughts
My scale would be pretty close to this one. I rate pictures on technical merit (focus, centering), artistic merit (composition, creativity), and also subject matter (visual appeal of the game). I think chess sets, for example, are almost always more visually appealing than checkers sets, and this will impact my rating. Sometimes I also consider representativeness (the extent to which all of the components are included), but I'll generally rate better composition over representativeness. Even the best box cover will probably only get a 6 or so in my ratings. Computerized images of games are generally given an automatic 1 because I think we should be looking at game photography, not digital graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkhard
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Two Doubloons
I spent some time the other day rating games with the "Rate it or Not" feature. I found a couple of standards that sprang up for me:

1) Average lousy composition, slightly out of focus or with flash glare, or badly off center= 4.
2) Any game picture that was obviously stolen from a publisher's website= 1
3) Any shot showing people actually playing a live game, I tend to give an extra point, as I like to see the game actually being used and enjoyed.
4) Nice box-shot, in focus, centered and easy to read= 6.
5) Picture which shows me nothing about the game or its components= 3
6) Artisitically executed shots with a closeup of the board or its components= 9
7) I have yet to see a picture come up that I would rate a 10.
8) Out of the thousands and thousands of game pics that I could have seen in my "Rate it or Not Session," one of the 100 or so that I saw was my own picture. I figured that this was a sign from above and I gave myself a good rating, even though it was likely higher than it deserved. Sorry, I had a vanity moment there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can't tell a box from a book???
This is a box cover shot:

Actually, it's a scan of the dustjacket of a book...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

the Mav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings on image gallery
I sure wish the ratings appeared on the image gallery. For example:

http://boardgamegeek.com/imagegallery.php3?gameid=9609

henddher has uploaded 4 images for War of the Ring. They're huge, grainy scans of the box and board and components. henddher has done the same for Traders of Genoa.

I want to see the rating before I've clicked the link and started loading these gigantic pictures, all of which have average ratings below 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh
Touche' Mav laugh

Book or box, that is the type of shot I consider a box shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.