John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this a rant. Give people a chance to rate something from 1 to infinity and beyond and they'll not only take it but talk a lot about it, too. Human nature.

I know the journal has become the forum/chat room in addition to a geek's personal journal. That's fine. I've said all along that the membership will define the community and that I am opposed to rules that are not inside a game box.

New stuff on the front page cycles from top to oblivion at an incredible rate now that the BGG community is larger than every other town I've ever lived in except the current one. Journals have become the town square or the corner cafe that everyone visits but occasionally someone (not me, I usually use it as a personal journal and occasionally ask for advice) starts a thread here that has some depth and relevance to gaming and before it reaches enlightening proportions it's gone.

I recognize that 40,000 registered users have the right to journal within pretty liberal limits. Good. Off topic entries, trolls and flame bait is pretty entertaining at times. We all share other pop culture interests besides games. Lord knows, I'm OCOT, Obsessively Compulsively Off Topic, and as posted in my own profile prone to getting caught up in my own self-perceived cleverness at times.

What do you mean, all the time? What do you mean I just did it again?

Having said that all that, I'm going to post three of my personal pet pet peeves.

1) It really bugs me when I see 3, 4 or even, in a couple cases, FIVE one or two sentence journal entries in a row by the the same geek. This issue has been a sore spot for me for some time. I have refrained from mentioning it on the days it was present.

Somewhere in my memory lurks an image of seeing EIGHT entries by the same geek on the journal page at the same time, but I may have had my glasses off.

Suggestions: Do as most people do and wait until your previous one is off the front page before posting a second one. Combine those random thoughts into one entry. Or add a comment as an addendum to your previous entry.

2) Geek A starts a thread on a subject. Geek B makes a comment and then starts another thread on the same subject rather than contribute to an ongoing discussion. Before either of those are off the front page here comes geek C. Do we need three simultaneous threads on the same thing. It makes it harder for me (Since this a rant, it's all about me!) to grasp the consensus.

Of course, I'm talking about rating pictures, one more feature that brings out the inner critic in all of us. I'd rather have a convenient way to track the game related or most entertaining OT journals.

Friends and I know there are few friends out there, I don't like to rate things anonymously. If I look at picture or read an article I think, "Does this tell me what I want to know?"

If I read a rateable article and I cannot give it at least a 4 out of 5. I won't rate it. In the case of articles, I consider if the poster is capable of articulating a response to a reply or direct inquiry based on the the content and clarity of the original post.

Personally, I'd rather have someone say, "This does not give me the information I need to make a decision" or even "You're wrong, Scrib. It's this way." Thus possibly creating an intelligent and enlightening discourse.

I really don't care what anonymous critics, which is what we all are in this case.

3) One more but to a much lesser extent, Journal Entries whose titles offer no clue as to the subject. On or Off Topic? I like the use of OT to indicate an entry is not about games. I'm using it from now on.

Friends, keep the information and entertainment coming. There are a lot of informative and highly amusing people who contribute to my day here but exercise some courtesy and common sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about starting a new journal to complain about the number of journals complaining about the number of journals complaining about the picture rating system, but then I figured that was a little too much meta-humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A matter of time
I am now waiting for the first Journal Entry entitled:

I agree with Scrib. Needless duplication of Journal Entries pisses me off.

Normally I would have done that one myself except I won't run the risk of ticking you off until Stephenson's Rocket is securely in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CapAp could be saved
Check that out... Cappy and I posted almost identical thoughts within 100 seconds of each other.

I just know it wouldn't take much to tip him into the Red State majority. He already exibits a razor sharp wit and developed sense of humor... not normally traits associated with the usual zombies of his political party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Th end of the world is near.
CapAP and DW Tripp are the first to agree with me AND each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Somewhere in my memory lurks an image of seeing EIGHT entries by the same geek on the journal page at the same time, but I may have had my glasses off.

IIRC, this would be the time that Nate (Cavedog_pcx) put a bunch of journal entries up to push another journal entry off the main page because that other journal entry was highlighting a group of Settlers games that were going for really cheap on eBay, and Nate had a vested interest in keeping people away from that auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The immediately after this one
is about rating pictures. What were the odds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
Yep, I agree Scibs. The thing is, what should be done about it though? I recently suggested having the most recently commented on journals at the top, but even that doesn't completely solve the problem - though it may help.

Maybe we should be able to save journals we want at the top or maybe some could be stickied...but who decides. A minefiled really...and I can quite understand why the Admins find the issue a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Messageboard
And hence I think a messageboard for this place would help it at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You Canadians crack me up
Actually Joseph, Cappy is a Democrat. But that's okay, he has a history of exhibiting good humor and even an occasional streak of common sense. I can't really expect you guys up there in Canada to be up on the complexity of USA politics... what with smoking all that legal marijuana, trying to figure out how fast you're driving in km and dealing with stampedes of ravaging Moose, you folks certainly have my respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure
that admins do something about it. I hope not. I had a friend who whenever he got pissed off at something would say. "There ought to be law against that." Everyday I was grateful he wasn't the King of America.

My suggestion is basically consider the 40,000 other members before taking two or more spots on the front page for anything.

And I'm still smiling at CApAp and Tripp being the first respondents AND agreeing with each other AND me AND the very next post being about rating pictures.

I'm proud to have been a part of this number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my suggestion...
First off, those same things bug me Scrib - though I am guilty of one offense myself. I have on one occasion had two journal entries going one right after the other, but if I recall correctly, they were two completely different subjects.

Now here is what I'm gonna propose (again).

Currently on the main page we have:

Geeklist A_____________________Journal Entry A
Geeklist B_____________________Journal Entry B
Geeklist C_____________________Journal Entry C
Geeklist D_____________________Journal Entry D
Geeklist E_____________________Journal Entry E
Geeklist F_____________________Journal Entry F
Geeklist G_____________________Journal Entry G
. DOWN TO...
Geeklist T (20 total)_____________Journal Entry T (20 total)

News Announcement 1
News Announcement 2
Ect...
NEWS ARCHIVES

This format is a little redundant only because often the current news gets "Pinned" as a Journal Entry anyways.

My suggestion is this:

Double, triple or even quadruple the Geeklist and Journal entries showing up.

Current news topics could be "Pinned" to the top as usual (maybe 4 or 5 at a time). Moving the news topics to the top of the Geek Journal lists will free up all kinds of space and both Geeklists and journals will now live 2, 3 or even 4 times longer than before. Keep the archive section as is or even just move them to a linked page. News topics of late have mostly been about GeekSpeak anyways. Aldie will post a journal entry when he wants input on something as now you can't even reply to a news topic anymore.

I swear I won't suggest this again - just never sure if it gets seen do to the short life of Journal entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Andrews
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have found the quality of geeklists and geeklists comments lacking since the front page features of "newest" lists have been added. The journals work on the same idea of new list "push."

I think the "push" of old lists hurts good conversations. I find myself forgetting to go back and add to "old" lists like I used to... Why don't we go back to not having these on the front page.

I'm not a fan of going to the stone age, but I try not to read journals or geeklists unless they're highly populated with comments anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Skelebone mentioned I did that once. I had a reason. I probably won't do it again even though it was kinda fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hamilton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
badge
Ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, the proliferation of journal entries is symptomatic of a greater need in the Geek community for a forum to discuss issues of interest to the Geek community. I'd humbly suggest that the lack of such a forum is manifested in the proliferation of Geek Lists, Journals and articles in some game forums.

In reality, the number of such threads demonstrates that BGG really needs to think beyond the whole idea of Journals and introduce a message board, as this is what Journals are being used for anyways.

A message board could then be segmented into all sorts of sub-categories as required, such as off topic, picture rating, game strategy, etc.

Of course, the current spate of picture rating threads is mainly the result of increased interest generated by a new feature. Surely that will not continue indefinitely... seriously, we've only had the feature for a couple of days!

We do need to get over the idea that we can contain this level of interest in any sort of sensible way to the front page. People are going to have to start getting used to checking off the main page to see if they've missed anything.

Having said all that, there's an easy way to keep the interesting and topical journals on the front page... list them in order of their most recent REPLY, not their creation date. This means that threads with legs will stay around for much longer, while those who deserve to disappear into the depths of the Geek uncommented on will do so in a timely manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obtuse rhymes with moose as well.
What relevance that has, I will leave up to the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
will the madness never stop?
Three of the five journal entries following this one relate to the new image rating feature. And I think three of the previous ten entries also cover that topic. And even bagherra, who commented in this journal about obtuseness, started one of them.

Jason? Can you add a -ness- to obtuse? I just did and I'm not sure it's proper english. Anyway, that's my absolute favorite word from the Shawshank Redemption and I'm feeling all fuzzy inside because you used it and reminded me I want to watch that movie again.

Scrib has a point that even Republicans and Canadians have the mental capacity to comprehend. And as for Nate dropping a bunch of entries online in order to hide some games selling cheaper than his? I say, well done! That's sound marketing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
????
DW sez "I say, well done! That's sound marketing."

we'll conservative ethos is was never based on fair play...

on topic..

bring back the M44 boobs. stop the pix rating.
i wonder what that pic would have rated????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Now Andrew...
conservative ethos is was never based on fair play...

Tsk, tsk, you know as well as I do that the only people who whine about fair play are pre-schoolers and those with a small.........

.........army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.