Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Very Urgent Feature Request: Rate the Geek! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
I think it would benefit the Geek if we could rate each USER from 1 to 10. This would be great for several reasons. It would establish a heirarchy of Geekdom, and it would be an easy tool to determine the worth of each individual. Now someone would know with one glance if the person is worth anything, or nothing. The usefulness is off the scale! The rating would apply to all the stuff the person contributes, be it pictures, articles, reviews, everything. No need to rate the individual items. After all, if a moron submitted it, it can't be worth anything!

I would propose putting the rating in bold 12-point font on top of the real name and username of the Geek. Why bother reading the name of the person if his personal rating is below 6 or 7?

Here's a great guide for the scale:

11: User is Scott Alden or Derk Solko - it pays to kiss ass eh?
10 : This geek is cool and I like all the same stuff he does
9 : This geek is ok and I like most of the stuff he does
8 : This geek says good things and doesn't annoy too much; I can game with the geek
7 : I'd sit and play a game with this person, but he's not great or anything, and one game is probably enough
6 : I *might* listen to this person in general, if I'm in a good mood; wouldn't play a game with him though
5 : This person is a nobody, I might listen to him if he agrees with me on one game, but only for that game; forget about actually playing a game with him
4 : Don't bother with this person - he doesn't agree with me on anything, and doesn't have anything useful to say
3 : Annoying: the person doesn't agree with me on anything, and voices his own wrong opinion
2 : This person is ignorant about boardgames and should stop posting on the Geek
1 : This person is ignorant about everything and should stop talking to people who are obviously smarter

Due to the extreme benefit that this rating system would bring to the Geek, I think it should be implemented immediately, with the greatest priority.

If you don't agree with me, you're entitled to your opinion. Of course, your opinion is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One serious issue here is that people will give poor ratings to those who do not agree with them. It's only human nature to think that a person who doesn't like a game that you really enjoy is somehow a lesser person. The easiest way to get a good standing is to make geeklists featuring your favorite games (coincidentally rated the top 20), or write glowing reviews of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
I think a 12-point font is not the way to go. Make that 24-point. And of course an extra feature that is needed is the ablity to filter out all entries by geeks with rating below your chosen value. This will reduce complaints about people complaing that there are to many complaints about the lousy geeklist and journal entires.

A small quiz could also be implemented - random images from the database are shown and you have to guess the rating. Guessing correctly could earn you some prestige points, which in turn can be used either to modify your own geek rating or the rating of a fellow geek.

Geeks with a rating 9 or more should also be able to nuke posts of geeks with a rating of 8 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuke 'em all...
Thanks - Koen and Richard - for some much needed Monday morning humour. Personally, I thnk we could implement a system like this at many businesses e.g. all email from "lower rated" collegues (or bosses you don't get on with it) is automatically screened and rejected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what a wretched idea
God this is about the sadest thing I have heard of on BGG , why don't go over to spielfreaks if you unhappy.

what are you trying to do? breed ubergeeks with just one monotone agreeing voice , game collection that match and opinions that echo in their likeness.

Cast out those with the wrong opinions and ideas perhaps ? this doesn't sound like the american way to me and nor should it be.

I hope this is a joke.

richard I like to hear your opinions , they are very very different from mine however , and your articles etc to hear the other side /point of view but I wouldn't judge you based on those ideas/opinions.

Sorry to be so forthright but this idea went deeply against everything I believe BGG stands for as a example of open american initative ,put together by hard voluteer work and the tolerance of freedom of speech/ideas/opinions/beliefs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Cast out those with the wrong opinions and ideas perhaps ? this doesn't sound like the american way to me and nor should it be.

Sending the marines to eradicate all who deviate from the path of Uebergeek-dom would indeed be a better way, but alas this is beyond our means - at the time (the gnomes of Zürich are working on it though). So for the time being, we should stick to the proposed system.

FNORD !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We are very
We could even "vote off" a geek each week.

LOL! Geek Survivor... and, of course, the last Geek remaining must declare:

"I'm the sole survivor..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings
What about a feature where we can rate the ratings?

Each user can rate other users, rate games and rate images, and then each user can give a rating to each rating. That way, we'll be able to easily see which are the best ratings and therefore which ratings are actually useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
HAHAHAHA!
Funniest journal entry ever!

Fawkes, I rate you a 12!

laughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh no I've been trolled
ackkkkkkkkk.............I thought he mean't it

"I'll get you for this you dirty son of a Aiiiehahaahha"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!
I couldn't agree more! I want this rating system NOW! But I think Aldie and Derk should get a 12

In fact, I think I'll start rating people now:
me - 10
Fawkes - 9 (well, it's your journal so I have to say that, don't I :x )
Koen - 8 ('cause I agree ... 12 font is too small; I think it should be an animated gif, too, so it's easy to see who I need to ignore)
Snooze_UK - 5 (come on, what kind of name is that??)
TinyTiMIDwhatever - 4 (well, first of all, you've got that whole name thing to deal with; secondly, look at your first post! You're lucky you posted another comment, 'cause I'd have rated you a bit lower )

OK, who's next???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I thought you meant rate boardgamegeek... 1-10, and anyone who doesn't give it a 10 gets their account mysteriously deleted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
A 1 should only be for people that are clearly broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Fawkes, I'm going to rate you a 1 to counteract all this blatant shilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of just a general rating for a geek
we should be able to rate them from 1 to 10 in several categories.

1)user name
2)avatar (new users have 10 days to get an avatar)
3)spelling and grammar
4)quality of cogent On Topic comments
5)quality cogent Off Topic comments
6)sense of humor
7)flammability
8)photo skills
9)quality of game collection
10 ability to achieve a perfect bell curve in their ratings

Thus 10 x 10 = 100 possible points. The goal is not purge all geeks with the lowest rating but to achieve a perfect bell curve cross section of gamers, resulting in an ideal test bed for designers.

The geek membeship would then be divided into 30 person teams comprised of one rated geek, two 2 rated geeks and so on up to the 5th rate and back down again to one 10th rated geek.

Each team member would given a free game by a publisher for evaluation (Not play testing that's grunt work) and ...uh... something that escapes me at the moment because I have to go pee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
CUMMING
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about the worst idea I have ever heard. Are you trying to turn the 'geek into the biggest flame-war the web has ever seen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty funny huh
okay who changed scribidinus startup page in his browser to BGG 2 years ago and told him you couldn't change it back Huh? huh?

and whats with supergluing his wrists to his keyboard and mouse , that ain't funny this guys has to work (you do right? ) yeah so behave you bad geeks or tinys going shill rate your picture ratings ..yes so quake in fear foolish mortals!

Cough...thank you
wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, Bad news
Well, Richard, you've topped yourself. This is a truly Fawkesian idea.laugh

The bad news is that I'd have to rate you only an 8. I mean, really, what is it with you and luck/randomness? Age of Steam is an excellent game but you can't deal with the random draw on the cubes?! Get over it, son! kiss

(Just saw the new emoticons and HAD to use one!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to rate myself a 5 because I have low self-esteem.

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Do spelling and neatness count? For example, can we deduct a point for people who can't find the shift key, or who think there's an apostrophe in "meant"?
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to use the last new smiley.
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, can we deduct a point for people who can't find the shift key, or who think there's an apostrophe in "meant"?

Ha ha! You put an "n" in "meat"! Shows how much you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like I picked a bad time to quit using emoticons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This list is broken. How can you rate someone that you haven't gamed FTF with yet???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea! I'm gonna get all my friends and family members to sign up on the Geek and give me a high rating. That way everyone will love me. It's BRILLIANT!!!

Then I'll take a look at the game ratings of all of the highest rated Geeks and change my ratings to match their averages so that maybe they'll think I'm cool and give me a high rating too.

Wow, I'm gonna be popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.