Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: definitions [+] [View All]
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Noticed that Uwe Rosenbergs upcoming game, Ora et Labora, for 2011, uses a rondel mechanic. How do these work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rondel:

Each pie slice is an action, and each player has a marker that moves clockwise around the rondel. You are allowed to move up to so-many slices per turn unless you pay extra to move more. Then you take the action denoted by the slice your marker ends up on. It's a mechanism designed to make certain actions more or less common than others (see above how there are two "Motus" actions (Movement), but only one each of the other actions), and to make it difficult to do the same action (or complementary actions, e.g. the "Marmor" action which gives you Marble and the "Templum" action which enables you to build a temple with Marble) twice in a row.

It forces players to make decisions such as: "Do I move only one slice this turn, so I can get some Marble, or do I move three slices, even though Marble would be nice and I don't really need a Movement action right now, so that I can get back around to the "Arma" slice faster, and hire more troops?"

This rondel, by the way, is from the game Antike. Another game that uses a rondel is Imperial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of a pie where the slices represent various actions. You have a pawn that moves around the pie, possibly skipping some actions until you can get your pawn back around the pie again.

Check out the reviews for Imperial which will give you a good example of how this can be implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a wheel with several places on it, with usually some of them repeating. your piece is placed on it, and on your turn you can move usually 1,2 or 3 spaces (with sometimes the option to pay a cost to move additional spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a very nice "light" version of the Rondel used in Finca, and a super complex and heavy version used in Shipyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my first geeklists.
Intrigued by the Rondel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK Thanks! I get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gokiburijin wrote:
One of my first geeklists.
Intrigued by the Rondel

theme music for this list features the classic Beach Boys tune, "Help Me, Rondel"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread needs more rondel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

I'm hearing that in Christopher Walken's voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
jearles wrote:

I'm hearing that in Christopher Walken's voice.

I should get an implant that makes everything I hear sound like Christopher Walken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane maness
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondell_Sheridan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Tamkin
msg tools
mbmb
I love this mechanic and have played several games in the series. Is the mechanic itself under any sort of legal protection; ie would there be any issue using the same mechanic in a game of my own? It seems like it wouldn't be an issue but not entirely sure.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astaldaran wrote:
I love this mechanic and have played several games in the series. Is the mechanic itself under any sort of legal protection; ie would there be any issue using the same mechanic in a game of my own? It seems like it wouldn't be an issue but not entirely sure.

Any ideas?
you can't copyright a game mechanic. Using it would be like using dice to move or placing workers on locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
This is a rondel:

Excellent summary skipped

It is worth mentioning, though, that the Ora et Labora rondel is not for actions but for resources. It has an arm that turns around the rondel, and markings on the arm show how many of each resource is currently available to "harvest." See image:

As shown there, you could take two sheep or three wood (by taking the appropriate actions, assuming that the spaces are available), but you cannot take grapes, because the token is at zero. (To head off the pedants fans, actually, you can take grapes with the orange square "wildcard" token, but that should really be explained in the context of the full rules.) This is possibly my favorite game that I don't own myself, and I encourage you to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astaldaran wrote:

Any ideas?

I'm curious.

Why necro a 6 year old thread instead of starting a new one and linking back to this as a reference if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I'm curious.

Why necro a 6 year old thread instead of starting a new one and linking back to this as a reference if needed.

In some online communities, people are berated for starting a new thread when there is already an old one on the topic. In others, the expectation is to start a new thread more readily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
astaldaran wrote:

Any ideas?
you can't copyright a game mechanic. Using it would be like using dice to move or placing workers on locations.

I believe you could patent a mechanic, although doing so would be expensive and you would need to prove that you were the first to develop it, so I can't see anyone bothering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan parker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincs England
flag msg tools
badge
Rolling Sixes all the way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamburgum is a fantastic Rondel game, well worth checking out. The whole game hinges entirely on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rondel is that guy in the office you DONT want to get stuck talking to. You always have to keep an eye on him, make sure you're on the opposite side of the cubicles and move in synch with him to avoid him.

Example: Rondel goes to the kitchen to heat up his tuna fish sandwich but must pass your cubicle (and he always stops to say hi)...you must leave immediately,bypass the kitchen and head straight for the exit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca also uses a Rondel
And Hamburgum, I think...

Does Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar also fall within that category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
Does Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar also fall within that category?
I would say no. I don't know what the actual definition of "rondel" is as defined by BGG, nor the bg community in general, but to me, it's been a circular track denoting actions you can take. A marker usually only goes in one direction, and is limited in some way or form to how far you can go. You're allowed to do the action of the space it lands on, or the space it leaves from.

... hmm, perhaps that could be considered a type of rondel for all I know.

IIRC, there are worker placement games where multiple workers can go on a spot, but there's still tension from other limitations and restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VIKINGS is my favorite rondel game. Anything with Vikings in it is always fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.