Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mentioned in the Video Review, I think this a great epic American style game, the time component is an issue, but you truly have a feel of the sweep of time, this isn't a game for everyone but for certain people who like that American style of play, I believe that you will truly love this game.

Part 1

Part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
Nice review Alex. Did you find the colour scheme used in Britannia for the board a bit weird with the sickly yellow colouryuk, as I'm a Brit, & as far as I'm aware I don't live on a desert island. I think that maybe FF games bought a job lot of this colour as they seemed to have used it in Game of Thrones Board Game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to have got the rule for overrunning wrong (Part 2 about 2:10). To move through an area you have to leave behind twice as many units as that area contains, so in your example, you would have had to leave 2 units in Sussex, but only 1 unit is then needed to move into Essex. You show 1 unit left in Sussex and 2 moving into Essex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct Dave D, I forgot that was the true rule and not the house rule that I play with, I apologise.

As for the colour scheme, I didn't have any problems with it; A lot of maps in the day have that "desert" colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My original draft of the rules (posted here somewhere I think, certainly on my Web site) is regarded as easier to use.

Both my site and FFG's Britannia site have a two-turn walkthrough of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm repeating myself from things I've said on other threads, but:

I suggested to FFG that they not have green pieces on a green board (as the older versions). So they changed to a yellow board but yellow pieces! I suppose they thought purple pieces were too hard to see.

I've not heard the game compared with A&A before. There are something like 800 die rolls in one game of Brit. Probably a lot less than in A&A, but enough that luck can "even out", though I've seen it fail to do so. There are fewer pieces in Brit than A&A, average about 55. But the strategy and style of play is nothing like A&A, which is a two-sided game.

Lew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't seem anything like Axis and Allies. I would have rather heard a comparison to other games like it: History of the World, History of the Roman Empire, and Small World. What are the advantages / disadvantages compared to these games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World and History of the World don't let you produce new units from the production points that your territories produce, both Britannia and A&A do, Small World and History of the world only have one generic type of unit per race, Britannia (Through infantry and Calvary) and Axis and allies have units with different abilities that score hits one different . Is is identical to A&A no of course not, however A&A is a very popular well known game, a lot of the viewers aren't hardcore gamers who know all about these other games, I thought in some respects the comparison was apt, it some aspects it is similar to HOTW and Small world with new races coming into play, except they don't go into full decline like those games.

I never played history of the roman Empire, so I can comment about that.

@Lewis good to hear that a playthrough is available at your website, it is a pity that there wasn't a slip in the box mentioning that, I really believe sample playthrough's are very helpful for learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuttle757 wrote:

@Lewis good to hear that a playthrough is available at your website, it is a pity that there wasn't a slip in the box mentioning that, I really believe sample playthrough's are very helpful for learning the game.

The playthrough didn't exist when the first printing was sold (2006). The second printing has its problems (the unit messup) that the first didn't have, and adding anything new wasn't in the cards. FFG are now too busy to add anything to their Brit Web site.

Originally I wanted them to include a CD with the game with a video to teach how to play, but they said their clientele didn't need that. And I've never got around to making the video. There is only an 11 minute MP3 (also on my Web site).

Lew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you have too many brigantes on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Great review. I also played it incorrectley in some parts in my first two games. The rules book should be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.