Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: European GeekGold auction: San Juan german ed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased a german edition of San Juan from the BSW online shop to support the site. Now I've also got an english edition of the game, and someone else might as well get the german edition. So I'm selling it for geekgold.

Starting bid is 10 GG. Bids will then climb with a minimum of 2 GG per bid, but if someone want to go five over, you may do as you please.

The auction will continue until 24 hours has passed with no new bid.

I will pay the costs for shipping to whoever gets the game.

The game has been opened, but hasn't been played. Thus everything is in mint condition.

I don't mean to be picking on anyone, but this auction is solely for people living in europe.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are so cruel!
Hi Steen!

You wrote:

[...]this auction is solely for people living in europe

Man, you are so cruel!

Would I qualify if I told you that I always felt I was born in the wrong continent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Opening up
I'll start with 10 GG then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry.

I just felt it reasonable to add that limitation. If you saw my thread from a couple of days ago, I just sent a copy of Funkenschlag to Canada for free, so it doesn't bother me, but having paid for San Juan, and giving it away again almost for free, I don't want to pay the additional cost to send it abroad, risking that it will be purchased by someone, simply because he/she now has some way to spend his/her GeekGold, and not beacuse he/she really would like to get/play the game.

As I said, I hope I don't offend anyone with this limitation, but it seems reasonable for me to do it like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Steen,

this is an interesting experiment to see a real world value of GG.

I bid 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazygames >>

Yes, but I doubt that GG has much value at all. Once you've purchased an avatar and a badge, you can "only" spend it to make people create a translation of some rules or posting the picture of some map that you would like to get, and people usually do that entirely by themselves. At least for all the most popular games. That and whatever crazy ideas people might get like auctioning for games or different kinds of competitions.

This is not a criticism of the GeekGold value, but rather a wish that there were more ways to put your geekgold to good use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with Steen, the value of GG is nada, nice to get a Badge and Avatar but that's it - if I had a thousand GG, I would have bid a thousand.

Since I've got only 11 to spend, I bid my maximum -you can count me out for the rest of the Auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I bid 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnomehome,

but if you accumulated 1000 GG, would you realy bid it all for one game?

I wonder, do not forget, you worked hard for the gold, how long does it take to write a session report or take a photo, edit it and upload it?

1000 GG would represent many many hours of your personal time.

So unless you have unlimited spare time and nothing else to do, there is some personal real world link for everybody who earned it, at last regarding the equivalent of worktime invested. It might be intersting to calculate the average time invested to earn one GG.

So if you want to convert 1000 gold into a real world object like a game, it is like you would work 10 hours or so just to get san juan and that seems to be a bad deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
but if you accumulated 1000 GG, would you realy bid it all for one game?

Well, maybe not all for San Juan laugh

I wonder, do not forget, you worked hard for the gold, how long does it take to write a session report or take a photo, edit it and upload it? 1000 GG would represent many many hours of your personal time.

Most of my geekgold (26 to be exact) came from the translation for Dynamit Joe. It's a 14 page translation, the editing time of the document was 406 minutes. So that means that one GG costs me about 15 minutes. Translations are the most work though (but also the most useful IMHO: would you rather know that Joe lost, Mary came second and William won or would you like to have the translation of the game rules ?)

Apart form the Geekgold, I only got a 'thank you' from the game author. The geek who gave the GG for translation never bothered to say thanks (I PM'ed before doing the translation to notify him, no reaction).

Is it a lot of time invested ? Yes.

Would I do it again ?

I do a lot of translations, mostly from English/French/German into Dutch. I do it to keep my language skills up to date and to do the people of the Flemish game archive a favor (and all the people who download the translation from their site). I once got a free game for doing the translation - from Ralf Lemkühl who gave me a free Trias - that's it.

In the end several translations (Im Zeichem de Kreuzes,
Dracheninsel, Arena Maximus, Grand Canyon, Trias, Crazy Rally, Tortuga,.... to name but a few) netted me one free game. A lousy return on investment it would seem.

I still believe its necessary to do translations, not every game gets translated and not all people are fluent enough in other languages to play them. Reading all different forums/Geek lists and journals takes a lot of time as well and adds very little to the community.

So if you want to convert 1000 gold into a real world object like a game, it is like you would work 10 hours or so just to get san juan and that seems to be a bad deal.

It would take more time and it would be a very bad deal. You are right, I am wrong. No more content from me then, cause I do not profit from adding stuff. Is this the attitude I should take ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real value of the GG
I don't think it is possible to calculate the "real value" of a GG because GG's are given out to very different types of tasks. Let me give you two extreme cases where I earned 1 GG:

1) I uploaded a picture of Zen Blocks and got 1 GG for it. It took me let's say two minutes to take the picture (prepare the materials, get the camera, click);

2) I uploaded a file analyzing the game of Quarto. If you count all the time that I spent developing the programs to do all the calculations plus all the time discussing the subject with other BGG'ers, I guess I probably spent more ten hours on that file.

So let's say my time is worth minimum wage for this "work". The first GG would have given me twenty cents, the second one would be sixty dollars.

My conclusion? GG's are worth as much as we care to make them be worth. As of now I have a balance of 54 GG. If I could participate in this auction, I would probably go all the way up to 30 GG's, maybe even 40, but not much more than that because I intend to use my GG's on other things (like my weekly donation to the best session report, for instance). However, someone like Joe Scoleri or Patrick Carroll could easily bid in the hundreds because they have thousands and most of their GG's came "easily", from pictures.

Coming to think about it, I should have started a new thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnomehome,

yes, translations are a lot of work, I did some too, so is the stuff on quarto from ValJor, I guess thats where the fun factor come in, if its fun you do it anyway, even if it means many many hours of your personal time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Bonnermann
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I bid 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, then I have to bid 20! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Anybody needs a loan ?
Well, well

Would any of you fine gentlemen (with 20 GG each) care for a loan of some extra GG ? Or maybe sell one of the games on your trade list to me for extra GG devil

Very interesting experiment....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gnomehome actualy checked our profiles for sufficient GG fundings.

Evil Gnome, you evil evil gnome devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Gnomehome actualy checked our profiles for sufficient GG fundings.

Evil Gnome, you evil evil gnome

And you didn't ? Raising from 16 to 20 - just for the hell of it ?

I think we have a case of the pot and the kettle here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnomehome,

yes yes yes I confess, it was an tactical bid, we have 2 GG min. steps so if I bid 18 someone would bid 20 and I can not go higher blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.