Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: EBAY feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked ebay to remove some retaliatory feedback. It was awhile ago... Anyone know how long it takes or how it works? I put in my claim and reasons via thier system but no word as of yet... it was over a month ago.

My account is "Joenmonica"

I gave a guy neutral feedback for not following my shipping instructions "Good and fast but sadly did not follow specific shipping instructions..." and he gave me negative and wrote "Not at all happy with this buyers unjustifed feedback." By Ebay's own guideline this is not grounds for negative feedback.?? He is "auctionline123"

He even emailed me a few nasty-grams. angry

Is there a way to check on the status of this?

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Bader
Germany
duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My experience after a few thousand ebay deals and the usual amount of problems: Ebay NEVER answers your mails, if you are lucky you get some robot answer. Once or twice I reported a shill bidder/seller, useless, he still offers and then buys his own stuff, easy to see for anybody who uses tool like "sellersbestfriends".

Ebay NEVER removes feedbacks you find unjustified, unless you go to court with that person and the court rules that you are being insulted or something like that. Only then they remove it. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are the buyer NEVER leave feedback before the seller... if you paid that's all that matters to the seller and you should get positive feedback just for that.
If the seller doesn't leave me feedback I don't either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually...
There is a way to remove Feedbacks now. I'm not sure of how it works when it is FB that breaks eBay's rules, but if both buyer and seller agree, SquareTrade.com (name correct?) will arbitrate the process for about $20-$40 depending on how it's done.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keller
United States
SmorgyLand
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if you went through Square Trade or not? Is this what you meant by "their system"? It takes a l-o-n-g time to process anything through Square Trade --- upto 60 days, *IF* I recall correctly.

Anyone can give any Feedback rating they want --- it's an option, not a requirement.

I had a Negative removed from a NPB (Non Paying Bidder) who was obviously just trying to trash me (and a few others at the time). This Joker had bid on about 35 items (mine included) and, after a week, he left everyone a Negative --- just for the heck of it. He never paid for any of the items from anyone (as best as I can determine) and his eMail addy was bogus.

If I ever meet up with him ....devil

Anyhow, if I can ask ... what were the "specific" shipping instructions that they would have caused you to only issue a "neutral" rating?

Depending on how busy you are doing eBay, I'll be honest, it's easy to forget something when you are putting together 30 to 100 packages per day for shipping.

It's the same thing when you are trying to get items ready to put up on eBay ... it's easy to accidentally mis-count Counters in a wargame or leave the instruction book out of a game or miss a tear down the side of a box.

Sure, it's pretty easy if you are selling one or two of your own games, where time is a luxury, but things can get pretty hectic for Sellers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHY
OK,

I emailed him how to label the box exactly. I get some of my mail via the military system. He returned my email saying he understood. In my paypal I reminded him of the instructions. STILL he did exactly what I told him not to do.

It just about cost me my mail PO box on base and it really ticked me off. As a civilian using base mail is not a right but a privledge.

Understand why I got upset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly OT
I strongly disagree with the_spy: As a buyer you have two responsibilities: pay, and report that you have recieved and are happy with the item(s), service, etc. As a seller, I will *never* leave feedback for a buyer until I know the buyer is satisfied, otherwise I leave myself open to all kinds of trouble. For most ebay buyers, I find out they are satisfied because they left me positive feedback, but I am clear (when asked) that I will leave positive feedback before the buyer anytime they let me know the transaction was a success from their point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Skulley is correct
The buyer is actually the one who holds the feedback power on eBay, not the seller.

The buyer controls the seller twice: First off, he can bid and then pay at his leisure and despite the potential of negatives, the seller is at his mercy until paid. Secondly, if the seller leaves FB first it then gives the buyer an opening to leave a negative over the slightest nuance withour fear of reprisal.

The % of positives is vital to a seller and less so to a buyer because a seller rarely has time to check FB on bidders if he/she is running 100 or more auctions. So long as the buyer pays, his rating is not relevent unless it's a negative rating. But a buyer may chose to not bid if the seller has less than 95% Positive.

Having sold on eBay since 1998 I learned that even if I left a feedback when I got paid there was only about a 60% chance I would get a feedback in return and of the 10 negatives I have received in over 6 years 9 of them were issues that could easily have been fixed with one email or that I would have refunded if the buyer made the minimal effort to inform me of their issue.

I switched to what some here call "holding feedback hostage" about 2 years ago and since then the % of auctions I get feedback on has jumped to 80%.

When I buy anything on eBay I always leave feedback when I receive the item in good order whether the seller has or not.

The only time I leave feedback first is with repeat buyers and when I recognize a BGG member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
The is why I have a hard and unbending rule for eBay; as a buyer, I NEVER EVER leave feedback first. Ever. And this policy is noted in huge letters at the top of the "about me" page. Yes, even if I am a bit dissatisfied with what I got (and there have been a few times where that has happened), I still will not post first. End result is that even though I've purchased well over 100 items on eBay, I only have 40 feedbacks - but they are also all positive and I also never ever get or have to deal with any retaliatory feedbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a Mexican stand-off to me.

I do so little business on ebay, that it isn't really relevant. I think that most of us will discount some percentage of feedback, realizing that there are loonies out there... that always see the glass half-empty.

Here on BGG, I feel rather protective about my feedback and realize that most other people do to. I try to be extremely accommodating and at the same time have reasonable expectations for the geek on the other end of the transaction.

In at least two transactions, I was somewhat disappointed - but I left positive feedback anyway with a perfunctory comment. Nothing and nobodies perfect, and putting a mark on someone’s permanent record for a slight misunderstanding or miscommunication isn't fair.

I guess I kinda view it as pass / fail. And it's pretty hard to fail.

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MTG Ninja
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Joe, they won't remove that feedback, it is within the guidelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wechner
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay answers ...
My experience after a few thousand ebay deals and the usual amount of problems: Ebay NEVER answers your mails, if you are lucky you get some robot answer.

Not my experience. I've rarely had cause to email them about feedback as it doesn't matter didley squat to me anyhow as a buyer )never sold anything there - except maybe the warm fuzzy inner glow of never having received a negative .

What I did email them about was a seller who a) wasn't answering emails and b) had no contact information on eBay (so I couldn't phone them). I wanted the game I bought!

eBay wrote back and asked the seller to enter their contact details - it's against the rules no too (why they don't police this up front I don't know!).

So the seller added an address. In germany (and I'm in Australia). But no phone number. Like that's going to help me any! So I emailed eBay again and they replied again. This time they just said the seller was no longer a registered user. I asked why? Not on account of me I hope, I just want a phone number. But I got no reply to this last question (probably seen as optional in the legalese sense - i.e. perhaps eBay correspond when it's important for affecting secure transactions but not for fluffy information).

I never got the game. The user disappeared off the face of the earth (altough we did exchange some emails before it was resolved, and she was always keen to sell, just suddenly fell silent and no phone number - wasn't worth my sending a letter to the address - didn't want the game that bad!)

But there you have it. eBay can and do reply. Perhaps feedback quibbles are a) vastly more numerous and b) vastly less important to eBay than making sure people exists with real world contact details - something I consider important as I have used the phone on various eBay transactions to discuss details with sellers (usually for more expensive things than games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.