Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: What are the best medieval wargames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scorpion
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to know which medieval wargames people consider to be the best. I do not have much experience playing wargames, but I would like to try a game that accurately simulates the actions of infantry, cavalry, and archers on the battlefield. Please give me your opinions and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably going to get Hammer of the Scots soon. Is this the type you are thinking of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you want...
For medieval tactical warfare, there's not that much out there. I'm an enthusiast for Ancients, since it's simple, free, relatively accurate (as much as it can be at the level of simplication it imposes), and chock full of scenarios. If you want to see the "combined arms" aspect of medieval warfare--infantry, cavalry, archers--it's a pretty good game.

Beyond that, unfortunately, there are slim pickings. Some designers have focused on particular battles, such as the DTP titles Orri's Storm, Senlac Hill, Yeoman, and Nicopolis. The same designer will, naturally, use the same or similar game mechanics across titles, but it's not like getting thousands of years of pre-gunpowder warfare in one box (Ancients).

I like the Great Battles of History series, but for some reason, they're backing into the Middle Ages. The latest title, The Devil's Horseman, covers the Mongol invasions, but what about all the other stuff happening in the center of Europe?

GMT is coming out with a game soon on this topic, so you might look at the P500 page there for details. I also recommend downloading the computer version of DBA (miniatures game), which you can play against other people across the Web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of such games out there, but i noticed that GMT Games not only has a new game on the subject coming out, "Middle Ages, Men of Iron" covering roughly the 1300s, but they have a free version of the battle Agincourt as a demo. All you've got to pay is ink and paper . . .

Men of Iron: http://www.gmtgames.com/miv1/main.html
Agincourt battle: http://www.gmtgames.com/miv1/sneakpeek.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few possiblities...
I recommend:

Great Medieval Battles by SPI (and Decision Games)
Cataphract by GMT
The Devil's Horsemen by GMT
Men of Iron (not published yet) by GMT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let slip the dogs of war...
I don't have much experience with medieval wargames, but I used to own Cry Havoc. It was man-to-man, hex and counter, fun game. Each piece had personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Some MORE ideas
You could even attempt to obtain the "Pre-STAGS" series of games by S.P.I., while you're at it. You'd really only need to get the last '2' of the '5'~"Viking" & "Yeoman", but if you can get a 'DEAL' on the entire SET, then you might as well do that! The last(1st) '3' are: "Chariot"; "Spartan"; and "Legion". They portray many Scenarios from each of their respective 'eras' and use what is considered a 'generic' Unit counter set, but you can mix and match these to YOUR liking, just as we have done before. In fact, I am expressly "Verboten!" to HAVE 'Chariots' in ANY of the 'Armies' that I USE with this, since the others don't seem to comprehend how BEST to utilize them, but I will and do. There WAS an 'attempt' to update THIS with a 'Newer' version called "Men at Arms" by S&T~which failed miserably, but you can check this out here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8327

OR...check out the "Medieval" section of the 'Geek'.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/catbrowse.php3?id=35

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
two from the old days
Two of my favorite Avalon Hill games from the "bad old days" (60-70's) were not medieval, but Ancient games. They might provide some of what you're after: Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia pits Julius Caesar against the barbarian chieftan Vercingetorix. Also, Alexander the Great recreates (rather simply) the battle of Gaugamela, with Alexander facing Darius III. But Alesia is a much better game, IMHO. Available from eBay or right here on the Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Joan of Arc by Tilsit?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Medieval games
A nice new release is "Barons' War: The Battles of Lewes and Evesham" by Clash of Arms (Designed by Rob Markham, developed by Charlie Spiegel). Beautiful graphics evocative of the period, and the system nicely re-creates the 13th Century battlefield experience: well-laid plans disintegrating into chaos amidst opportunities gained and lost. Highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpion
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone, for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.