Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, among the folks that actually play them, what is the preferred term CCG - Collectible Card Game or TCG - Trading Card Game?

Poll
Which term do you prefer to use?
CCG - Collectible Card Game
TCG - Trading Card Game
Other
      204 answers
Poll created by sirkerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game Explainer
Frankly, I can't see the difference and don't understand why anyone would have invented alternative terms.

Collectible Card Game

That's what it is. I can only consider that Trading Card Game is a marketing gimmick from the likes of Topps, whose market dominance is in Trading Cards so they naturally want the term Trading Card Game... they were invented as and will always be Collectible Card Games to me, but I'll always consider the terms functionally identical - I'm just highly annoyed we have two terms that mean exactly the same thing; I never know which heading I'll find in a convention guide or online shopping tool.

Standardization please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
Microbadge: The Warren RPG fanMicrobadge: Dogs in the Vineyard RPG fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: Duke University
I always thought that TCG = "The Card Game". For example, Ticket to Ride: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
The World of Warcraft game goes by 'TCG' which I thought was odd. I figured maybe someone had licensing rights to the term 'CCG.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Frankly, I can't see the difference and don't understand why anyone would have invented alternative terms.

Collectible Card Game

That's what it is. I can only consider that Trading Card Game is a marketing gimmick from the likes of Topps, whose market dominance is in Trading Cards so they naturally want the term Trading Card Game... they were invented as and will always be Collectible Card Games to me, but I'll always consider the terms functionally identical - I'm just highly annoyed we have two terms that mean exactly the same thing; I never know which heading I'll find in a convention guide or online shopping tool.

Standardization please!
Oh, I'm in a agreement, cosine, but it's actually worse then just two terms that need the same thing, we also have:

BCG: Battle Card Game
BCG: Battling Card Game
CCG: Customizable Card Game
ECG: Expandable Card Game
LCG: Living Card Game
OCG: Official Card Game
OCG: Original Card Game
TCG: The Card Game
XCG: Expandable Card Game

That I can remember off the top of my head. Collectible Card Game was the original term, but it looks like almost all (if not all) of the currently in production games are calling themselves Trading Card Games. Oh and Official Card Game seems to be the preferred term in Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I always thought that TCG = "The Card Game". For example, Ticket to Ride: The Card Game.
Well it can, but most of the time it means Trading Card Game.

Although I'm personally partial to my term for it: Thematic Card Game. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
The World of Warcraft game goes by 'TCG' which I thought was odd. I figured maybe someone had licensing rights to the term 'CCG.'
It's not licensed or trademarked from what I can tell. The CCG type term that is trademarked is FFG's Living Card Game I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Eric is right, that TCG was a marketing invention. "Collectible" became something of a pejorative once people realized that it was possible to sink a lot of money into CCGs, so "Trading" is so much less... expensive sounding, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiddGames wrote:
I believe Eric is right, that TCG was a marketing invention. "Collectible" became something of a pejorative once people realized that it was possible to sink a lot of money into CCGs, so "Trading" is so much less... expensive sounding, heh.
The "Living Card Game" is a different marketing model, where you know what you're getting when you buy it. It's a lot more affordable that way, as any Heroscape addict can attest. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler L.

Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I voted TCG, just because it's always been TCG around this town. I had never even heard the term 'CCG' until I came to BGG.

Really though it's just a name. If someone says collectible card game, I'll understand what they mean. Not really a huge language barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TCG can also equal "Tactical Card Game" e.g. Firestorm Tactical Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marketing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know where the TCG term came from. When I was into Magic and Rage, they were only called CCGs. When I started up my game club at the high school and reentered the card game world, everything was now TCG.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but I will only call them CCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
SiddGames wrote:
Exactly. Of course, when I played there was very little trading. No matter how bad the cards were, they were hoarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game Explainer
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
...they were hoarded.
HCG

Hoardable Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
I don't really know where the TCG term came from. When I was into Magic and Rage, they were only called CCGs. When I started up my game club at the high school and reentered the card game world, everything was now TCG.
I always had the impression that 'TCG' was created because people were afraid that Wizards would sue if they said 'CCG'.

The first time I remember seeing it was the Star Trek: TNG card game (which I think was the first 'big' one that wasn't published by Wizards).

Lots of games have mechanics where you turn the card 90°, but it's always "turn" or "crank" or something...never "tap".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilgore Trout
England
Forest Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other

"Money Pit"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Rising
Sweden
flag msg tools
KnobDoctor wrote:
Lots of games have mechanics where you turn the card 90°, but it's always "turn" or "crank" or something...never "tap".
Yeah; "tap" is actually trademarked by Wizards (well, or by Hasbro), if I'm not mistaken. So they have to make up another name for the mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Karadek wrote:
I always had the impression that 'TCG' was created because people were afraid that Wizards would sue if they said 'CCG'.

The first time I remember seeing it was the Star Trek: TNG card game (which I think was the first 'big' one that wasn't published by Wizards).

That is exactly what happened. Wizards was threatening law suits to anyone releasing CCG's, as they felt their patent, trademark or whatever covered the mechanics of customizable gaming as well as the actual intelectual property. The main pissing match was with Decipher, if I remember correctly. In order to try and avert the legal actions most companies switched to the different descriptions...TCG being the one that became most popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
tsilver33 wrote:
I voted TCG, just because it's always been TCG around this town.
What town would that be, just out of curiosity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
KnobDoctor wrote:
Karadek wrote:

That is exactly what happened. Wizards was threatening law suits to anyone releasing CCG's, as they felt their patent, trademark or whatever covered the mechanics of customizable gaming as well as the actual intelectual property. The main pissing match was with Decipher, if I remember correctly. In order to try and avert the legal actions most companies switched to the different descriptions...TCG being the one that became most popular.
I remember seeing a "Tap List" many years ago that listed all the alternative terms that all the different CCGs of the time used for rotating the cards to indicate that they had been used that turn. IIRC, there were dozens of different words used. I can't find the list now, but I can remember some of them:

Tap
Boot
Bow
Turn
Crank
Engage
Tack
Bend (Yikes! Don't "bend" the cards!)
Job (Eh? That's not even a verb!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course, it's not just CCGs that display this phenomenon. You see it with RPGs, too. Every once in a while, there will be a Role Playing Game that insists on calling itself something other than an RPG. One I remember off hand is ISG = Interactive Storytelling Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:

Makes sense. I've always used TCG since I was weaned on Decipher's The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game. Decipher started with Star Wars CCG, then Lord of the Rings TCG, then WARS TCG.

The most annoying thing is Star Wars Customizable Card Game versus Star Wars: Trading Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising wrote:
KnobDoctor wrote:
Yeah; "tap" is actually trademarked by Wizards (well, or by Hasbro), if I'm not mistaken. So they have to make up another name for the mechanism.
Yep, so whenever I introduce Deadlands: Doomtown, I describe the 'card is used' mechanism as:

"The term to denote that the card is rotated 90 degrees to be perpendicular to the original starting position of the card to indicate that its ability has been used and can not be used until next turn so that Wizards of the Coast won't sue our A$$e$ is "BOOT" "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have used "pat", turn it in the opposite direction from how you'd tap it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |