Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Thanks and another question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all of you who answered my question on party games, thank you. I will use your suggestions to help me think my ideas over a little bit more.

Now, next question for those of you who play Star Fleet Battles.

I'm interested in starting into this as part of my board gaming experience and I've been told to avoid the Task force Group early boxed offering. What should I get in order to learn the game well enough myself so as to be able to teach it to my wife and then we can have a little fun with the occasional game. (I don't know if there are any players around on Vancouver Island) If anyone is able to tell me of the most recent publications of rules and game content (board/counters/whatever else) I'd really apreciate it. Hope to hear from someone on this question.

If you have the above said material and want to dispose of it then I'm interested in purchase or trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthcliff has written some really good reviews on the Star Fleet Battles game page that you should check out. And it sounds like the Captain's Edition basic set is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree..
I agree with Cavedog. The Captain's Edition boxed set is the way to go. All other rules are chrome to be added on. Typically, the expansions involve new ship templates, counters, scenarios and/or specialized rules for different races. All the core stuff is in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devi "Day" Hughes
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Orange County Board Gamers - come play games with us! http://www.ocbg.net
badge
Prince With A Thousand Enemies
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfleetgames.com
Check out www.starfleetgames.com - that's the publisher's site. I'd buy directly from them, as there's been a few revisions of the Captains set over the years, and you'll be sure to be getting the latest revision if you order it from them. Pick up the Basic set; there's a ton of game there. Or, if you want to get your wife involved, you might want to check out the "Cadet Training Manual". The CTM starts out really basic (too basic for my tastes, actually, but it's a good place for the neophyte to start). Amarillo Design Bureau is promising to make the CTM available as a free download from the following URL:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfb/sfin/sfin.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.