Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally managed to read through the whole rulebook and all the cards. Here's the list of changes to the game that I found in that one run-through. Please let me know if you find any more. I will keep this post updated.

General Functional Changes:

The Fellowship may not reveal into a Free Peoples City or Stronghold under Shadow control.
Previously the Fellowship was only prohibited from revealing into FP Cities and Strongholds under FP control. The CE edition rulebook changes this, increasing the ban to encompass all FP cities and strongholds

Certain cards no longer advance the adversely affected nation(s) on the political track and activate them:
Faramir’s Rangers
Rangers of the North
The Spirit of Mordor
Dreadful Spells
Return to Valinor
The rule about cards using the word “attack” counting as attacks for political purposes has been replaced by an FAQ entry stating that only cards that cause armies to engage one another, plus ent attacks and Dead Men of Dunharrow, count as attacks for political purposes. Event cards have been reworded to not use the word “attack” just to indicate political damage.

Certain cards may no longer be played if some condition necessary for the card to have an effect is not met: (I will skip event cards that would have no effect, since there would never be a benefit from playing them. But there can always be a benefit to playing a combat card.)
Dread and Despair (previously required a Nazgul, now requires 1+ Nazgul leadership i.e. no GtW interfering)
Foul Stench (ditto)
They are Terrible (ditto)
Fateful Strike (now requires a leader/companion, without which it can have no effect)
Heroic Death (ditto)
Sudden Strike (ditto)
Charge (now requires an elite...)
These new conditions are printed on the cards.

Confusion now prevents 1s in the Shadow combat roll from being rerolled.
The card text was changed.

Daring Defiance is does not cause the forfeiture of leadership if the Shadow did not play a card.
This is not printed anywhere but was answered by Krieghund.

Galadriel is now a companion. This matters for The Eagles are Coming, Fighting Uruk-hai, Grond and Stormcrow.
The rules now state that all FP characters are companions.

When The Balrog is mustered, his unit only appears with him if Moria lacks a FP army.
The Balrog card now says to “recruit” the unit, so it follows the normal rules for recruiting.

Most recent edit:
Flocks of Crebain is now discarded when the Fellowship declares in a captured FP city or stronghold. Alternate interpretation: Captain of Despair and Worn With Sorrow and Toil are no longer discarded when the Fellowship declares in a captured FP city or stronghold.
The wording is unchanged, but under the old rules it was ambiguous whether control mattered. Now WWSAT and CoD unambiguously care about control, and Flocks unambiguously doesn't.

Functional changes from the original game, which are consistent with the event card “Master docs”:

No Quarter counts hits in either the combat roll or leader reroll, not just the combat roll.

We Prove the Swifter gives you the option to move a companion or group instead of separating one.

Servant of the Secret Fire only affects the combat roll, not also the leader reroll.

I Will Go Alone: In the base game you can play it with Gollum guiding to heal 1; the Master doc version can always be played but only heals if you separate; the CE version can only be played if there’s a companion to separate. Since there's no reason to play the (Master doc version) card for no effect, the CE version is equivalent to the Master doc version.

Functional changes from the Master docs, which are consistent with the original game:

Axe and Bow, Horn of Gondor, Wizard’s Staff, and Mithril Coat and Sting work as they do in the original game. In the Master Doc, they may only be used after a successful hunt and not for events.

Mistakes in the CE - these things actually still work like they used to, despite what the CE says:

The Last Battle: According to the card text and rules about card conditions, you discard it if the army near Mordor no longer has GtW/Aragorn, but this is not intentional. The card text merely stayed constant by accident while the rule changed.

Merry and Pippin’s guide abilities were misprinted on their cards. Just use the base game text instead.

Although the rulebook says that all Free Peoples characters are companions, Gollum is not a companion, except for the eye allocation limit.

The CE rulebook left out the previously clarified rule that sending a nation to war activates it if it’s not already active.

The CE rulebook says you cannot retreat to an enemy settlement; this is a mistake. Only enemy-controlled settlements (and enemy armies, of course) block retreats. (The base game rules said this too, but back then everything involving control and ownership of settlements was vague and unclear.)

The CE rulebook neglects to mention that Dead Men of Dunharrow and the Ent cards can kill minions and Nazgul if they eliminate an army.

Card Name Changes (non-functional):

Mustering a of Long-planned War -> Musterings of Long-planned War

Rage of the Ents -> Ent’s Rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using this event card listing, which is also linked from the Nexus site, as my source of card texts. Could someone with the actual cards please confirm for me that the following changes I found in that file are in fact typos, and do not also exist on the real cards:

Monsters Roused renamed to Monster Roused.

Pits of Mordor renamed to Pitts of Mordor. (Hehe)

Rage of the Dunlendings (expansion version, NOT base game version) changed from a muster card to an army card.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll provide you with the full list of titles for the CE events and double check for errors like the one with WWST. I'll PM you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amado Angulo
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Certain cards may no longer be played if some condition necessary for the card to have an effect is not met: (I will skip event cards that would have no effect, since there would never be a benefit from playing them. But there can always be a benefit to playing a combat card.)
Dread and Despair (previously required a Nazgul, now requires 1+ Nazgul leadership i.e. no GtW interfering)
Foul Stench (ditto)
They are Terrible (ditto)
Fateful Strike (now requires a leader/companion, without which it can have no effect)
Heroic Death (ditto)
Sudden Strike (ditto)
Charge (now requires an elite...)
These new conditions are printed on the cards.

Cool, So I can use the black breath to kill a FP leader/companion with my Balrog/Mouth/Wargs leader reroll if there's a Nazgul in the army, even if blinded by Gandalf the White devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comments:

SevenSpirits wrote:
Daring Defiance is now optional to use - you can choose not to forfeit the leadership for the card cancellation after seeing the Shadow card (or lack of a card).
This is not printed anywhere but was answered by Veldrin.

This is incorrect. If the Shadow player plays a Combat card, the Free Peoples player must forfeit the Leadership of the Companions to cancel it. If the Shadow player does not play a Combat card, the Free Peoples player does not forfeit the Leadership of the Companions. This is the same way it has always worked.

SevenSpirits wrote:
Galadriel is now a companion. This matters for The Eagles are Coming, Fighting Uruk-hai, Grond and Stormcrow.

Except for Gollum.

SevenSpirits wrote:
When The Balrog is mustered, his unit only appears with him if Moria lacks a FP army.
The Balrog card now says to “recruit” the unit, so it follows the normal rules for recruiting.

This was not changed - only clarified.

SevenSpirits wrote:
No Quarter counts hits in either the combat roll or leader reroll, not just the combat roll.

We Prove the Swifter gives you the option to move a companion or group instead of separating one.

I Will Go Alone: In the base game you can play it with Gollum guiding to heal 1; the Master doc version can always be played but only heals if you separate; the CE version can only be played if there’s a companion to separate. Since there's no reason to play the (Master doc version) card for no effect, the CE version is equivalent to the Master doc version.

These were in the errata for the original game, so they have not actually changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amajo wrote:
Cool, So I can use the black breath to kill a FP leader/companion with my Balrog/Mouth/Wargs leader reroll if there's a Nazgul in the army, even if blinded by Gandalf the White devil

You always could before. The White Rider ability only cancels Nazgul Leadership. Black Breath simply requires Nazgul presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Some comments:

SevenSpirits wrote:
Daring Defiance is now optional to use - you can choose not to forfeit the leadership for the card cancellation after seeing the Shadow card (or lack of a card).

This is incorrect. If the Shadow player plays a Combat card, the Free Peoples player must forfeit the Leadership of the Companions to cancel it. If the Shadow player does not play a Combat card, the Free Peoples player does not forfeit the Leadership of the Companions. This is the same way it has always worked.

OK, I guess we need a clarification on this. Veldrin says it's optional.

Quote:
SevenSpirits wrote:

Except for Gollum.

I pointed this out later in the non-changes section, because it's not a change. The text in italics is just explaining the source of the change for information's sake, and it's true.

Quote:
SevenSpirits wrote:

This was not changed - only clarified.

As far as I can tell, the ruling is based on the wording of the Balrog card in a way that would not previously have worked. Can you find me a citation of it working that way previously too?

Quote:
SevenSpirits wrote:

These were in the errata for the original game, so they have not actually changed.
[/q]

I know. That's why they're under the heading of changes that are NOT changes if you've been playing with the errata'd (master doc-based) version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Krieghund wrote:
Some comments:

SevenSpirits wrote:

OK, I guess we need a clarification on this. Veldrin says it's optional.

Krieghund is correct. That is what I meant by saying it was optional, that if no Shadow card is played the FP obvjously don't forfeit any Leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Krieghund is correct. That is what I meant by saying it was optional, that if no Shadow card is played the FP obvjously don't forfeit any Leadership.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. This is why I asked you really carefully, twice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:

Rage of the Dunlendings (expansion version, NOT base game version) changed from a muster card to an army card.

This is a mistake, the printed CE version is still a Muster card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know. I'm working with Veldrin to correct all the mistakes/typos/etc. in my replacement card file. Also, I have resized them so they are the same size as the cards in the original game. If you have your cards sleeved, you will be able to slip these with the CE text into your set.

Hopefully they will be ready to go within a day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls