Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Am I deluding myself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
...okay, so Doom is out and shipping in the UK and I've been dropping huge hints to my good lady for weeks about how cool a Christmas present it would make...

...so this afternoon she comes back from town with a huge grin on her face stating how she managed to buy everything else she needed before Christmas...

...and a couple of hours later a wrapped present appears under the tree with a label to me on it. Its large, square, heavy and feels like a game box. Am I setting myself up for a disappointment? Should I steal a look when she's not around? Can I wait another two weeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim schultz
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think you are a lucky guy and got Doom. I'd wait till Christmas and if I can anyone can!....I had a few games on my list: E&T, War of the ring, LOTR by Knizia and Memoir '44. I think there might be E&T under the tree if only to save my wife from finding endless reviews etc I printed around the house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you both managed to get 'lucky', then you really DID get lucky - printing out a full-page ad of a game and tieing it around each of the cats wouldn't be enough of a clue for her.

*sigh*

I mean, she's sweet and all, and loves playing Knizia's "Lord of the Rings", which is good and all. But, gods bless her heart, she has absolutely NO skill in buying gifts at all. I've gotten more sweaters over the past few years....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T PEEK!!
Maybe one of the better gifts you can give is to look surprised and act appreciative, whatever your gift may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
you are deluding yourself. Same thing happened to me two years ago and I got...a puzzle!

So I think you have a puzzle there my good friend. Just don't look too dissappointed when you open it and you will get lots of points for being gracious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wechner
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we 12 years old here or what? If it's not what you want, go out and buy it early next year. Sheesh ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peeking is bad
Just wait for the day. You may be lucky or you may not, but you should still wait meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bernd...
...I'm just a little over 12 years old (sadly) but Christmas is one of the few times you can feel that young again!

Submit to your second childhood....you know you want to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad my wife and I don't do this gift thing. Whenever we want a present, we purchase it for ourselves. All year long. No retail analysis paralysis; no gift exchange angst. We can stay home during the holidays and avoid all the crowds and ratrace and still purchase anything we want for ourselves either online or after the holiday rush is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gifts
I'd hate to not be *giving* gifts at Christmas - watching people unwrap things (and enjoy them) is one of the best parts of the holiday. Getting things is nice too, of course

I doubt I'm getting any games this year, but I did treat myself a few days ago, so I'm not too unhappy...

TTFN,
Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you Tim. I love seeing people open stuff I got for them. Yeah, getting stuff is cool, but as I get older, I enjoy giving more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wishlist...
Imagine my delight when my wife asked me to send her my BGG wishlist

My 5 year old daughter is very excited about Christmas this year. Each morning she opens another door in her advent calendar (and eats the chocolate found behind it), and each evening she cuts another link off her paperchain (which started with 25 links).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Am I deluding myself?

For future reference, the only correct answer to this question is:

"Yes"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.